Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good job my02ctd. Hey guys new to the board I got turned on to this site by a link of another diesel forum. I registered here just to learn more about this. This allison conversion has long been an idea of mine and it is great to see somebody have enough brass to take it on. Alot of people that I talk to about it say, good theory but to complicated to hard to expensive. I guess its hard for some people to look at as a real option in a truck unless all the parts come out of a box. The first guy to take the motor from the back of a horseless carriage to the front was nuts too. The way that gabe is using this transmission really is what caught my eye, if it can pull sleds on the weekend and drive to work on the weekdays imagine how it would hold up pulling a 30 foot horse trailer with a few head of horse in it. I know it dont seem like much to most people but if you can get the shift point where you want them you dont end up jarring the horses when you shift pulling them up a hill. Sorry Im not a sled puller or a quarter mile guy but Cant resist a project that is not supposed to work!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

They work.. Trust me..

Dirtymax just ran as fast as Buck with an Allison Trans...

How do you like them Opie's?.. err I mean Apples.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brayden
They work.. Trust me..

Dirtymax just ran as fast as Buck with an Allison Trans...

How do you like them Opie's?.. err I mean Apples.

Apple Core, Baltimore, who's your freind... Brayden, this proves what? I am happy for everyone involved with the Dirtymax they are fun to race with and a class act to follow. It still changes nothing with my honest opinion on the trannys. If you where to swap a 48RE out of one of the fastest Dodges with a Chev Allison and run close to the same times I would be impressed if it was capable of making more than one pass before breaking. I read a comment from one of the tuners on another site saying that 4 passes was all the the Allison was capable of surviving in a high hp Dmax. I like my Allison transmission but it just won't handle my application where I need it to. I just can't afford to respend money and the down time on that transmission. Not to mention that the Dodge tranny has new parts that will be coming out before next season and they are the cats meow for helping out ET. What Buck did this year was simply impressive, I honestly thought after hearing of the conversion from you on this thread it would of taken longer to get things to work right. He wanted to be in the nines this year and he did it. A big Congrats goes out to him.

BTW Whats the best your truck has done? lol (We need a smilie for crickets.)
Old 10-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by OPIE
Apple Core, Baltimore, who's your freind... Brayden, this proves what? I am happy for everyone involved with the Dirtymax they are fun to race with and a class act to follow. It still changes nothing with my honest opinion on the trannys. If you where to swap a 48RE out of one of the fastest Dodges with a Chev Allison and run close to the same times I would be impressed if it was capable of making more than one pass before breaking. I read a comment from one of the tuners on another site saying that 4 passes was all the the Allison was capable of surviving in a high hp Dmax. I like my Allison transmission but it just won't handle my application where I need it to. I just can't afford to respend money and the down time on that transmission. Not to mention that the Dodge tranny has new parts that will be coming out before next season and they are the cats meow for helping out ET. What Buck did this year was simply impressive, I honestly thought after hearing of the conversion from you on this thread it would of taken longer to get things to work right. He wanted to be in the nines this year and he did it. A big Congrats goes out to him.

BTW Whats the best your truck has done? lol (We need a smilie for crickets.)
----------
Good points OPIE!

I would like to add that Buck Spruill didn't just cut off "a tenth or two" in his 1/4 mile runs, but more like 6/10ths of a second!!! No offense to anyone here, or to the Allison Transmission, but that is just way too much time to ignore!! And with reference to "DirtyMax" or even "OrangeCrush", two owners and trucks I highly respect,........I see a pretty big weight difference between those trucks and Bucks' production GM Duramax 4X4.

---------
John_P
Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

Uh.. Opie.. I'm not bashing Buck at all.. I do a lot of work with Suncoast and even helped Ron some with satisfying Buck's ECM when they swapped the torqueflite in it....

My truck is for developing parts.. and making money, not consuming it. I'll leave the racing up to the customers.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Brayden
My truck is for developing parts.. and making money, not consuming it. I'll leave the racing up to the customers.
Thats a very $mart way to be when it comes to racing an Allison1000. lol
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I followed this discussion and I am wondering about some points....

First of all the discussion kinda evolved into some drag racing only comparison- something that's not interesting for me. I can imagine that having 6 speeds on an auto would help while towing and could also be beneficial for mountain driving. A lot of times I would like to have a gear between 3rd and OD on mine and also another one a little higher than OD. Would the allison offer those two gears? Even though I asked this in this thread there was no answer.
I think that a lot of potential customers would be interested in combining the pulling power of the CTD with a better auto for engine braking and more speeds while towing, modding the engine only a little to somewhere around 400 hp.
I'd also think that on a 6 speed auto some manual control (paddles or joystick) to run in semi manual mode would be cool.

AlpineRAM
Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
I followed this discussion and I am wondering about some points....

First of all the discussion kinda evolved into some drag racing only comparison- something that's not interesting for me. I can imagine that having 6 speeds on an auto would help while towing and could also be beneficial for mountain driving. A lot of times I would like to have a gear between 3rd and OD on mine and also another one a little higher than OD. Would the allison offer those two gears? Even though I asked this in this thread there was no answer.
I think that a lot of potential customers would be interested in combining the pulling power of the CTD with a better auto for engine braking and more speeds while towing, modding the engine only a little to somewhere around 400 hp.
I'd also think that on a 6 speed auto some manual control (paddles or joystick) to run in semi manual mode would be cool.

AlpineRAM
The problem that some of us have with the A1000 is not in it's 6 speeds, or grade braking, or toughness...but in the way it NEEDS to shift to live a long life. The engine HAS to defuel during shifts to avoid a tie up that is destroys parts...on a VP or CR truck, and an advanced knowledge of electronic control systems, this might be possible....but for most guys in there backyard, without a bolt on controller for the engine and tranny, I doubt they could handle it. As for the 12v, there's no possible to make it defuel on shifts without raising your foot

Chris
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
...but for most guys in there backyard, without a bolt on controller for the engine and tranny, I doubt they could handle it. As for the 12v, there's no possible to make it defuel on shifts without raising your foot

Chris
If I get an electric impulse some tenths of a second before shift I can lift your foot for you - well, not by using a dog shock collar around your ankle (I think this would not be easily accepted on the market) but by introducing a magnet and coil system on the AFC- I think that there is enough space on the AFC housing to incorporate a linear motor and a rod that pulls the AFC into the low boost position. Non-energized the AFC would work like normal. Naturally you could also make the plate slide backwards in some guides but this would be a little trickier.

AlpineRAM
Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 AM

If I get an electric impulse some tenths of a second before shift I can lift your foot for you - well, not by using a dog shock collar around your ankle (I think this would not be easily accepted on the market) but by introducing a magnet and coil system on the AFC- I think that there is enough space on the AFC housing to incorporate a linear motor and a rod that pulls the AFC into the low boost position. Non-energized the AFC would work like normal. Naturally you could also make the plate slide backwards in some guides but this would be a little trickier.

AlpineRAM
Nice...I like it...but see my statement for backyard mechanics You build it...I'll test it But I'll keep my 47RE...I'll just test it for power control purposes!!

Chris
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM

Well I don't have a 12V truck at my disposal at the moment, but I think that if the tranny controller gives you an output you can use a "brutal" approach to defuel during shifts.
The 12V as I stated via the AFC, and the 24V and CR by using a transistor and a resistor to momentarily drop throttle voltage - this would need to be spliced in between the TPS and the ECM.

But that's pure theory at the moment- I have neither an Allison nor different trucks to build/test something like that.

For power control purposes I installed a boost elbow (adjustable) into the AFC boost line on a friend's truck- we routed the line into the cab and apart from the hissing noise it works nicely- from valet mode to full power mode with the turn of a small ****. And unlike valet switches it's adjustable
The only thing needed was a rather big line from the boost plug to the boost elbow- with the small ID stocker it didn't work.

AlpineRAM
Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For power control purposes I installed a boost elbow (adjustable) into the AFC boost line on a friend's truck- we routed the line into the cab and apart from the hissing noise it works nicely- from valet mode to full power mode with the turn of a small ****. And unlike valet switches it's adjustable
The only thing needed was a rather big line from the boost plug to the boost elbow- with the small ID stocker it didn't work.

AlpineRAM
Alpine,

Elaborate on this please, parts list, pictures, etc??
Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DEFUEL DURING SHIFTS.....I guess since the dmaxes defuel during shift, I guess every allison has to. Call allison and see if all their calibrations have defueling in them. Signature, you are not far from me, come up and drive my truck and see how smooth it shifts.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Alpine,

Elaborate on this please, parts list, pictures, etc??
Sorry, no pics..

I took a standard adjustable boost elbow like it's used for the turbo and a turn **** (instead of fiddling with the wrench) and that's about it.
With a hose that's got the ID of the boost elbow's threaded side from the intake to the elbow and another hose from the elbow to the AFC. (And a holder to fix it on the dashboard)
Route the hoses through the firewall and fix the elbow to a convenient location.
Now you can adjust how much pressure gets to the AFC on the pump. From only ambient pressure (valet mode) to full boost pressure (Elbow adjuster tightened).

Clear as mud?

AlpineRAM
Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 AM

Gabe- do you have a list of the ratios of each gear of the allison tranny? Especially compared with the 47RE?

Thanks!

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Allison tranny