Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by OPIE
Mike there was no big push to run in the 11's in 2004 as a rollbar would of been required.
2005 the time req was moved down to 11.5, at which time I had started working on the Dmax/Allison. It will run faster than 11.5 but won't be going there for the same reasons, I do not want a rollbar in my daily driver and still want to race on weekends.
------------
Steve:

I agree with you on the rollbar issue! You aren't going to see a rollbar in my
"pristine" 1996 Dodge CTD either! And I am already below the 11.55 index time at my local track and very close to the NHRA time of 11.49 too. A little more NOS would get me there too!

---------
John_P
Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry_ETH
I guess its time for me to chime in now that I've had my truck back for a couple weeks. I've been trying to work out some of the bugs on my truck that are no fault of the tranny. I'd like to thank Gabe for installing it and Brayden for providing the TCM to make it all possible.

At first, the truck would really shake and do what some call a "romp, romp" at idle and it took a lot of pedal pressure to keep it stopped. It really wanted to go, holding the brake was like pushing a clutch. The reason for all of this was the anti-stall feature in my manual ECM sensing the load of the torque convertor and adding fuel, then cutting it to get back to idle. Bob Wagner hooked me up with a Catcher ECM from a 2001 auto and the romp, romp, and heavy pedal effort was gone!

Unfortunately, auto's have a speed control servo that the manual trucks, in which cruise was 100% ECM controlled, did not have. So my auto ECM is now looking for the servo that isn't there, so no cruise. I've got one ordered and should have it in next weekend.

It sure is great to have an automatic again! The TCM is programmed the same as Gabe's (I believe). Right now, the truck is shifting at around 1900-2000 and is in lockup in each gear (Brayden correct me if I'm wrong). This drops the rpms down to around 1400. This works for Gabe, but he has 4:10's and I put on quite a smoke show with my 3.54's and 35" tires. My twins really aren't spooled yet before it shifts. It'll rev out higher if I hammer it but I've been unable to do that until I get my wastegate regulated. Brayden is sending me another TCM (any day, right Brayden!) with less aggressive programming that will shift on the convertor which should help me with all the snow and icy driving I do.

As a side note, I've got to figure out why my AC won't re-charge, I can't get the compressor (5 months old) to engage. Something must have not been reconnected during the twin installation. Any ideas?

So far, I'm really happy with the transmission. I think once I get the new TCM and my wastegate fixed, I'll be in love!

Dave
Hi Dave,

How are things in Pasco? It has been seven months since your post I quoted about your transmission conversion. Did the new TCM and wastegate take care of your shifting problems? How much money do you have into doing this mod?

Thanks,

Opie
Old 08-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Hi Dave,

How are things in Pasco? It has been seven months since your post I quoted about your transmission conversion. Did the new TCM and wastegate take care of your shifting problems? How much money do you have into doing this mod?

Thanks,

Opie
Well, at the risk of shooting myself in the foot, here it is. I did get a new TCM in early March. It shifted on the converter, so it didn't bog the motor in lower gears anymore, but in overdrive, bogging is stll an issue. This made another issue apparent, my converter has a higher Duramax stall, so its wasting some usable power. I'm supposed to be getting one with a lower Cummins stall from Goerends.

The new TCM has some bugs too. The 1-2 shift can be really harsh under light to mid-throttle and sometimes, it just hangs for a split second. I mean it really clunks and jerks. My wife hates riding in the truck and I hear about it all the time. Apparently, the Dodge PCM sends a non-linear signal for throttle position and that confuses the tranny. Also, the transmission just doesn't want to kick-down when you romp on it and it is short-shifting around 2400 rpms at WOT. So the higher stall and low WOT shift points make for a pretty narrow band of power getting to the ground. The overdrive comes out of lockup when it goes below 50mph, which with my 3.54 gears and 33" tires means I'm really lugging it near 1200 rpms at 50mph and it won't kickdown to 4th. So I find myself coasting to below 50mph so it will come out of lockup to avoid lugging it.

So what's being done to fix this? Well, I sent Brayden $170 on March 23rd for a new throttle position sensor to cure the harsh 1-2 shift. He was also supposed to send me another TCM that shifted on the converter in 1st & 2nd, then locked after that with kickdowns at 40% throttle and WOT shiftpoints at 3000 rpms. I waited and waited, and finally started contacting him directly via email and phone messages. I got a couple "I'm working on it" email responses, then he stopped communicating with me all together. So I asked Gabe to follow up, but he hasn't had much luck either. So right now, I'm stuck and don't have a lot of options to turn to for fixing my truck.

On my twins, I've just about surrendered. I've put Bosch 300s in place of my Mach 5's and stepped down from 35" to 33" tires to make the truck more driveable. I can still hit 1300 degrees with a Comp and Bosch 300s. Some of this is due to the transmission not kicking down and lugging it in overdrive. I'm probably going to pull the bottom turbo off and just run the hybrid.

On the cost, well, I had some other stuff done, so its pretty muddy. Regardless of cost, turn around time on TCM updates is a real issue and frustrating to say the least. For the sake of my marriage, I've considered trading the truck in or selling it out right. After almost 5 months, I'm wondering if I will ever see a TCM update, TPS, or even a refund for my $170.

Dave
Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 PM

Dave I have a commercial efi live, if you are in fact getting the cold shoulder above and are willing to make a trip out this direction we can change the TCM software via using my truck. No guarantees mind you but the cost of success is picking up the tab for a steak dinner.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM

Dave I have a commercial efi live, if you are in fact getting the cold shoulder above and are willing to make a trip out this direction we can change the TCM software via using my truck. No guarantees mind you but the cost of success is picking up the tab for a steak dinner.
Thanks for the offer. I'd like to give Gabe another shot at it. I know he is trying. Hopefully, I'll be able to talk to him soon.

Dave
Old 08-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

Wow... This is rediculous..

First off .. OPIE... Look at Buck Spruil's truck... How much power does it make? I'd guess right at 1000 or so on the bottle heavy with a GT42 charger making 85lbs of boost.

That truck is running low 10's consistently.. It has (had) an allison in it and making fast passes. That trans would wipe out P2 planet splines darn near every pass.. But that's on the ragged edge of performance... Knock off 250-300hp and there's really no risk of twisting splines.. Leave the transgo mods out of the C2 and there is NO risk of wiping them out... It's caused by a tie up.. bottom line.. That's the only real weak link in that trans at 700+ hp levels.

I heard some guy was working on a 6 pinion P2 with stronger splines... Is it done yet?

Doesn't matter though.. Cure the tie up and you cure the problem.. Then who knows how much power it will hold!

As for Dave's TCM, I haven't had a chance to take the shop truck out for a day and make a Seattle friendly twin turbo transmission tune. For a base calibration it works pretty good, just needs a few tweaks.

Something everyone should realize is that when you pretty much change everything about your engine .. i.e injectors, tuning, turbochargers etc and swap a new transmission into the vehicle it isn't going to be just like what you had..

There is a compromise between daily driving and a sledpuller like what Gabe built for you.

Dave you'll have an updated TCM by the end of the week. Plus a refund on your TPS.

No need to have OPIE try and complicate things.

Brayden
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=Brayden;1653701]Wow... This is rediculous..

"First off .. OPIE... Look at Buck Spruil's truck... How much power does it make? I'd guess right at 1000 or so on the bottle heavy with a GT42 charger making 85lbs of boost."

Don't know but from what I know from PM's and from what others say about Buck... I would have to say lots.

Last season I ran my Dmax blow offs are set at 75lbs of boost, if I wanted to make 85 lbs of boost I can. Boost and chargers really have no bearing on this conversation.

"That truck is running low 10's consistently.. It has (had) an allison in it and making fast passes. That trans would wipe out P2 planet splines darn near every pass.. But that's on the ragged edge of performance... Knock off 250-300hp and there's really no risk of twisting splines.. Leave the transgo mods out of the C2 and there is NO risk of wiping them out... It's caused by a tie up.. bottom line.. That's the only real weak link in that trans at 700+ hp levels."

Obviously our definitions of consistent are not the same. If you can not make two consecutive passes how can you say it is consistent? Unless you are speaking of it being consistent at breaking.

Sorry but IMHO that truck is not on the ragged edge of performance though from what you wrote above it probably would be by now if it had a transmission that would hold the power.

Thats quite the choice there, leave the transco mods out and we are back to burning up frictions.

If you are saying that the built Allison will tolerate up to 700 I would agree. And feel there is more Planets to blame for that hp limit. Though several trucks have wiped out their planets at less hp. So I disagree with your statement above. Even if a trans is set up and does hold 700 hp better plan on refreshing your transmission once a year if you compete with it. With the exception of Gabe, as he states his holds a 750hp Cummins. But we still have yet to see him dyno and he will not run down the track.

"I heard some guy was working on a 6 pinion P2 with stronger splines... Is it done yet?"

I do remember our conversation prior to making a set of P2's. You told me they where not required as Allison had updated the later ones and they where stronger. All I will say about my experience is unfortunately the $1000 set of P2's are a best left alone to be the fuse.

"Doesn't matter though.. Cure the tie up and you cure the problem.. Then who knows how much power it will hold!"

Right, lets just hope they fix that tie up issue before perpetual motion cars comes out.

"As for Dave's TCM, I haven't had a chance to take the shop truck out for a day and make a Seattle friendly twin turbo transmission tune. For a base calibration it works pretty good, just needs a few tweaks."

I hope for Dave's sake that it is just a few tweaks. What ever it takes, I hope you do get his truck running right. Since I live in the friendly Seattle area I would like to go for a ride in his truck when it is running correctly.

"Something everyone should realize is that when you pretty much change everything about your engine .. i.e injectors, tuning, turbochargers etc and swap a new transmission into the vehicle it isn't going to be just like what you had..."

Something you should realize is these guys are spending their money for a product and it is suppose to work. Injectors and twin turbos are not a unknown or new with ISB's. From what I read they have little to do with the basic operating transmission problems in that truck right now.

"There is a compromise between daily driving and a sledpuller like what Gabe built for you."

Gabe says he sled pulls and says everyone that has rode in his truck likes how it shifts. True or False?

"Dave you'll have an updated TCM by the end of the week. Plus a refund on your TPS."

"No need to have OPIE try and complicate things."

Thank you Brayden, Opie has lots of other things to work on right now.

FWIW Brayden I have Dodge transmission customers running over 1000 hp in their steet driven truck and not only do they race but they drive to and from the track as well.

Good luck to you Brayden, I hope you have the drive and chaisma to prove me wrong.

Opie
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Banned

Opie.. I do have the drive and "CHARISMA" to prove you wrong.

"If you are saying that the built Allison will tolerate up to 700 I would agree. And feel there is more Planets to blame for that hp limit. Though several trucks have wiped out their planets at less hp. So I disagree with your statement above. Even if a trans is set up and does hold 700 hp better plan on refreshing your transmission once a year if you compete with it. "

Show me a dodge drag truck that doesn't have it's trans down at least once a season to have the clutches refreshed.... C'mon it's racing... Clutches are a wear item and that's a fact. You think Stuckey made the 9.xx pass you were talking about on his first original trans? NO WAY.

The tie up issue you are speaking of is induced by the transgo kit.. That's why we're leaving it out on the high hp builds.. The trim valves are enough. Your buddy and mine, Mike, know this. No need to bring perpetual motion into it...

Something you should realize is these guys are spending their money for a product and it is suppose to work. Injectors and twin turbos are not a unknown or new with ISB's. From what I read they have little to do with the basic operating transmission problems in that truck right now.

I didn't say they were an unknown... Who hasn't swapped injectors in a dodge.. or gone to twins... But to expect it not to smoke when you've effectively tripled the fueling rate is ludacris.

Sorry but IMHO that truck is not on the ragged edge of performance though from what you wrote above it probably would be by now if it had a transmission that would hold the power.

There aren't too many trucks beating Buck's are there.. Besides Earls?

I would venture to say 740 RWHP over stock is pretty close to the ragged edge... Wouldn't you?

Are there any electronically controlled dodges running that power level & ET? Nope.. Didn't think so.

Actually if you haven't heard Buck's truck is running a torqueflight now... and it ran slower..

There is some dialing in to do, but the main reason is because it's a dumb trans.. It can't be tuned.

You say you have dodge customers w/ 1000hp driving to the track and are happy with their trucks all around..

OK.. 1000 hp will require at least 700~850cc's of fuel in a P Pump which isn't very streetable.. So I'm ASSuming you're talking about common rail guys. So 1000hp in a common rail. I've heard of 3 maybe 4 guys running that.. Twin pumps, big turbo, spray etc.. They're still going to need to refresh the trans after 10 passes at the strip. Plus where are these guys? Who builds a sub 10 second common rail and drives it to get groceries? Have they ran the quarter mile? Haven't seen them at any events.

As for riding in Dave's truck.. I hope that you get the chance.. I'll try my best to make you a believer.

Brayden
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brayden

Actually if you haven't heard Buck's truck is running a torqueflight now... and it ran slower..

Brayden
Brayden,

Sounds like you have issues with the Dodge auto??
Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

I don't have issues with it at all. We build them and they work fine. The line you quoted above wasn't a stab at the torqueflight..

I'm just partial to the Allisons..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Opie.. I do have the drive and "CHARISMA" to prove you wrong.

"If you are saying that the built Allison will tolerate up to 700 I would agree. And feel there is more Planets to blame for that hp limit. Though several trucks have wiped out their planets at less hp. So I disagree with your statement above. Even if a trans is set up and does hold 700 hp better plan on refreshing your transmission once a year if you compete with it. "

Show me a dodge drag truck that doesn't have it's trans down at least once a season to have the clutches refreshed.... C'mon it's racing... Clutches are a wear item and that's a fact. You think Stuckey made the 9.xx pass you were talking about on his first original trans? NO WAY.

The tie up issue you are speaking of is induced by the transgo kit.. That's why we're leaving it out on the high hp builds.. The trim valves are enough. Your buddy and mine, Mike, know this. No need to bring perpetual motion into it...

I didn't say they were an unknown... Who hasn't swapped injectors in a dodge.. or gone to twins... But to expect it not to smoke when you've effectively tripled the fueling rate is ludacris.

There aren't too many trucks beating Buck's are there.. Besides Earls?

I would venture to say 740 RWHP over stock is pretty close to the ragged edge... Wouldn't you?

Are there any electronically controlled dodges running that power level & ET? Nope.. Didn't think so.

There is some dialing in to do, but the main reason is because it's a dumb trans.. It can't be tuned.

You say you have dodge customers w/ 1000hp driving to the track and are happy with their trucks all around..

OK.. 1000 hp will require at least 700~850cc's of fuel in a P Pump which isn't very streetable.. So I'm ASSuming you're talking about common rail guys. So 1000hp in a common rail. I've heard of 3 maybe 4 guys running that.. Twin pumps, big turbo, spray etc.. They're still going to need to refresh the trans after 10 passes at the strip. Plus where are these guys? Who builds a sub 10 second common rail and drives it to get groceries? Have they ran the quarter mile? Haven't seen them at any events.

As for riding in Dave's truck.. I hope that you get the chance.. I'll try my best to make you a believer.

Brayden

Brayden thats funny stuff there. The Chevy truck in your earlier examples is running a Dodge tranny now. lol And in your own words above the Chev is now running a slower ET and you still feel that it was running on the ragged edge of performance. How have your tranny conversions faired? Oh thats right you guys don't run at a track.
FWIW (I only heard of one Dmax that made 1000 on the dyno.) I race against a 10 second Cummins about every other weekend and it does so on #2 only. Hmmm it sure will be interesting when the next batch of upgrades comes out for that stupid ole Dodge transmission. Guess you will just say it is retardo strong though it will have no problems with taking your Allisons lunch money.
Even though you have no idea of the transmissions I deal with, I will just go off of your statements above... Which is better, getting 10 passes with a Dodge before needing a refresh or 1 pass and having a broken Allison that requires hardparts?

If I keep my Chev another season I will be interested in doing the Dodge transmission conversion myself.

"Opie.. I do have the drive and "CHARISMA" to prove you wrong." Can you give us a date to look forward to on that one?

Thanks,

Opie
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Banned

I don't understand your statement about the dodge trans behind the duramax. The truck ran a slower ET with the 48RE???? How is that funny? I didn't contradict myself..

Regardless.. I'm done bickering with you..

Hope to see you at some of the races.

Brayden
Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though you have no idea of the transmissions I deal with, I will just go off of your statements above... Which is better, getting 10 passes with a Dodge before needing a refresh or 1 pass and having a broken Allison that requires hardparts?

Thanks,

Opie
Opie,

Please enlighten us......I am starting to build my next project--it will be a 800-900 HP number 2 P7100 12 valve in a 1975 Dodge crew cab (the one in my gallery). I will be using the 47RH, in 2wd. What parts do you have to make the output live?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Opie,

Please enlighten us......I am starting to build my next project--it will be a 800-900 HP number 2 P7100 12 valve in a 1975 Dodge crew cab (the one in my gallery). I will be using the 47RH, in 2wd. What parts do you have to make the output live?
I almost have enough people interested in making another batch of 1280 output shafts. A billet output is the only right answer I know of.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
... But to expect it not to smoke when you've effectively tripled the fueling rate is ludacris.

So, tripled fueling rate =

Or was it:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ludicrous

Quick Reply: Allison tranny