Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havnt heard anything yet about that. Im still wanting to get my tranny change over done but had some family things come up with my Dad so Im a little short in the pocket book to get it done. Its on my first to do list tho. When I started this thread I was hoping to get a lot of input on this and so far so good. Excellent reading and great input from everyone. I had been thinking of doin this for quite sometime. I was a little bit afraid I was goin to start a war on here and others think I was nuts for even thinking of this but Im glad it hasnt turned out that way and find that there are those out there that have actually done it. A huge pat on the back for Gabe for stepping in and telling about what he is doing and how it is working. Thanks a lot for the help and a thanks to everyone for their input , opinions, and spirited disagreements. It all has made this a very interesting thread to read. I hope it keeps goin so that those who are doing this conversion now can keep us posted on how it is going . I am looking forward to more reading on this thread. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM

I saw in this months diesel power mag I think, there is a company making an adapter plate to mount a 271 transfer case to the allison, anyone know the price on that thing?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 PM

i think suncoast is making it, 1195.00!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM

Has anyone done this conversion this year?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 AM

After 27 pages one would think that there would of been a couple trucks here that would of boughten into this mod. It will be quite humorous when we see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by OPIE
After 27 pages one would think that there would of been a couple trucks here that would of boughten into this mod. It will be quite humorous when we see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot.
I've been watching this since a few pages , & there are some that have done it I thought , for me its hard to think about putting $6-7grand into a older daily driver , the value seems to be for those with lots of funds/fun and no thought to cost , or need with competition .
Then also Gabe seems to be a smaller outfit than some of the other known tranny shops out there so less numbers .
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
I've been watching this since a few pages , & there are some that have done it I thought , for me its hard to think about putting $6-7grand into a older daily driver , the value seems to be for those with lots of funds/fun and no thought to cost , or need with competition .
Then also Gabe seems to be a smaller outfit than some of the other known tranny shops out there so less numbers .
I totally agree with you on the 6-7 grand cost. That would buy a totally bombed Dodge tranny. And there are way more parts being developed for the Dodge tranny than there are for the Allison.
Sure would be a bitter pill to do so then find out you wish you had your Dodge tranny back.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 AM

i have done a couple this year. None of people are on forums like these. They are in rural towns. One lives close by to me and he got the tranny after he saw me sled pull a couple times. I guess it spoke for itself. I don't think you can compare between a dodge tranny and an allison. There are more parts for the dodge tranny because it has to have them to survive. An allison doesn't need as much. Dodge trannys are a dinosaur. It is old technology. With an allison, you determine when you want it shift and you can make it do way more things than a dodge tranny. I have had a really built dodge tranny before my allison and it would shift when it wanted to, not really when you wanted it to. There aren't too conversions out there because there are too many critics saying it won't work and it not worth it, when they have no idea what they are talking about. Anybody that wants a ride in my truck, come on over and see for yourself.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:19 AM

An Honest Critic

Originally Posted by Gabe32
i have done a couple this year. None of people are on forums like these. They are in rural towns. One lives close by to me and he got the tranny after he saw me sled pull a couple times. I guess it spoke for itself. I don't think you can compare between a dodge tranny and an allison. There are more parts for the dodge tranny because it has to have them to survive. An allison doesn't need as much. Dodge trannys are a dinosaur. It is old technology. With an allison, you determine when you want it shift and you can make it do way more things than a dodge tranny. I have had a really built dodge tranny before my allison and it would shift when it wanted to, not really when you wanted it to. There aren't too conversions out there because there are too many critics saying it won't work and it not worth it, when they have no idea what they are talking about. Anybody that wants a ride in my truck, come on over and see for yourself.
I have both transmissions. That ole dinosaur Dodge continues to prove to me it will handle more hp year after year. Last week I believe one ran in the 9's. Have you ran your truck in the quarter with your Allison/Cummins yet? As for your ex really built Dodge tranny not shifting when you wanted it too it was probably using a stock PCM. I may have no idea what I am talking about in your book, but I do know first hand that Allison P2's cost a grand to replace. Again I was just wondering after 27 pages, I sure thought there would of been more than two trucks to of done this mod.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:45 AM

where are you located. I may be giving you a call once my tranny takes a poop
Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 PM

I have both transmissions. That ole dinosaur Dodge continues to prove to me it will handle more hp year after year. Last week I believe one ran in the 9's. Have you ran your truck in the quarter with your Allison/Cummins yet? As for your ex really built Dodge tranny not shifting when you wanted it too it was probably using a stock PCM. I may have no idea what I am talking about in your book, but I do know first hand that Allison P2's cost a grand to replace. Again I was just wondering after 27 pages, I sure thought there would of been more than two trucks to of done this mod.
I am not saying the dodge won't handle the power. It is old technology. My truck is not a quarter mile truck. I built my truck for sled pulling. I was using a stock PCM on my truck but the gear spread is big on the dodge tranny compared to the ally. The ally computers probably cost that much for a new one, but why get a new one? I have found them for 50 bucks. I am not going to get in a peeing match, that is not what I am here for, but I will say that everyone that has rode in my truck wants one. People don't want to spend money on something like that when they could get less of tranny and then buy so other go fast goodies so they can make more power and destroy that tranny.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 AM

I am not saying the dodge won't handle the power. It is old technology. My truck is not a quarter mile truck. I built my truck for sled pulling. I was using a stock PCM on my truck but the gear spread is big on the dodge tranny compared to the ally. The ally computers probably cost that much for a new one, but why get a new one? I have found them for 50 bucks. I am not going to get in a peeing match, that is not what I am here for, but I will say that everyone that has rode in my truck wants one. People don't want to spend money on something like that when they could get less of tranny and then buy so other go fast goodies so they can make more power and destroy that tranny.

I am saying that a built Dodge will handle more power than the built Allison you are running. Yes it is old technology, that dinosaur was a monster in its day and is in route to becoming one yet again. As for the gear spred rest assured that there will be an ultimate dodge transmission that will remedy that. (I would know.) So to sum it up, that would mean that the only things lesser about the Dodge would be it's weight and price tag. Your Allison will not live with a true 750 hp truck in the real world. Where the Dodge will and has more of them go fast goodies coming out. If a guy was into towing I think the Allison would be a good mod but not so for real/high performance.
Several may disagree with me but just like in Xfiles, "the truth is out there."
Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OPIE, i will admit that I am a pot stirer, but i noticed in your sig that your lower HP dmax is running faster than your higher HP cummins. No one in this forum would ever admit or claim or whatever that the cummins is inferior, so I would have to surmise that the difference has something to do with the transmissions? Now I'm waiting for all of the unknowns like weight, traction, area under the HP curve, etc but for real, why is your Allison based dmax faster than your dinosaur 48RE cummins? Or 47... I'm a manual guy that wished i had an auto.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
OPIE, i will admit that I am a pot stirer, but i noticed in your sig that your lower HP dmax is running faster than your higher HP cummins. No one in this forum would ever admit or claim or whatever that the cummins is inferior, so I would have to surmise that the difference has something to do with the transmissions? Now I'm waiting for all of the unknowns like weight, traction, area under the HP curve, etc but for real, why is your Allison based dmax faster than your dinosaur 48RE cummins? Or 47... I'm a manual guy that wished i had an auto.
Your not pot stiring at all. When I was running the Cummins anything quicker than 12.0 and you got kicked off the track. The Chev is over 1500 lbs lighter and has 3:73 with slicks vs 4:11 with mudders on the Dodge. The Dodge is 2000 technology vs. 2005 on the Chev. As for the Cummins being inferior that is a fairy tale, thought they are both great motors. Cummins has a much stronger bottom end.

If you are interested in converting to an auto drop me a pm.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 AM

I am saying that a built Dodge will handle more power than the built Allison you are running. Yes it is old technology, that dinosaur was a monster in its day and is in route to becoming one yet again. As for the gear spred rest assured that there will be an ultimate dodge transmission that will remedy that. (I would know.) So to sum it up, that would mean that the only things lesser about the Dodge would be it's weight and price tag. Your Allison will not live with a true 750 hp truck in the real world. Where the Dodge will and has more of them go fast goodies coming out. If a guy was into towing I think the Allison would be a good mod but not so for real/high performance.
Several may disagree with me but just like in Xfiles, "the truth is out there."

I live in Ohio and yes a built allison will handle 750hp. Let's compare apples to apples. A built allison with billet shafts will walk all over a built 47. Look at the difference in shaft size along with clutches and everything else in the tranny. The weight of the dodge is lesser and the price tag is comparable. The only difference is technology with will grow greater with an allison.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny