Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Faughn
I can see how a guy could get fustrated , I haven't seen the answer yet either .
Of course it may be that it was in a earlyer post & I missed it .

it is secret squirrel stuff

see this is what I mean when I was arguing way back when about it not being as simple as everyone was making it out to be...Gabe and them are all talking about how its "nothing special" and "just simple off the shelf parts" and "anyone can do it, just go to your local allison dealer", yet there are key specifics of the conversion that nobody will talk about.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:42 PM

good to read that the allison can be fitted behind the cummins,it makes the duramax look good and should do the same for the cummins
Old 01-25-2007, 07:36 AM

It is not a conversion for someone with no mechanical ability. I never said it was easy to do. You were the one talking about going to your allison dealer and getting all the stuff. The programming is the trickiest part. This is exactly why the conversion is a little more expensive.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe32
You were the one talking about going to your allison dealer and getting all the stuff..

I beleive you, brayden, and that other allison technitian have been saying go to the allison dealer way back in the beginning of this thread

its not "mechanical ability" IMO, its simply having access to the "secret" "proprietory" parts needed (mainly TCM) for the conversion
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Hay Gabe32 , you back from vacation ?
Haven't seen any posts lately .
It sounds like the TCM may be hard to get , but it really sounds like the programing is where its at , this thread is getting so long that I either missed it or were waiting for the specific programing , place to send TCM to [ could do or have done ] now that I'm asking it seems some has been stated , you gave some costs earlyer , but we seem to be at a point of the programing , is it propritory of something like that , [ if you found a way and want to charge for it , thats how buis. can be done , thats ok ] just want to know if that the process , or can it be open source ?
If the info can be shared great , if not then where to go to get this trans. going , I know you can , but if you some distance away , then getting done closer to those that are interested is an issue .
Thanks for all the info .
Its either this or the Gorends trans. , I just want relayability , effecency , longevity , not compitition may be thats the only economic use for the Ally ,
thats what I'm trying to find out here .
Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 AM

John you have a PM
Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Ben, you said "why not just go to the allison dealer and have it programmed for a medium duty truck". I said go ahead and see how you like it. It doesn't matter how it is done. It is proprietary information that you won't get off of this post so forget it. Ask Don M if he will give you the specs to his Helix camshafts, get my point?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 PM

I dont want to start any thing becous I know you get what you pay for but I used an Allison 545 out of a FL 70 in my older truck. Its not as nice as a 1000 as far as smaller size and more gears but it is about as strong as you can get and fit in a pickup and I have mine setup about as simple as it can get with absolutly no electrical stuf to go wrong but most people would hate to drive it the way I have it. did a buntch of custom work to make it manual shift ( no goveners or any of that junk ) lots of cryoed parts and a super super low stall converter and the line press is out the roof. When it shifts it will bark my 36'S but the shifts are adjustable like the 1000 but manual . working on a elecrtical shift for that not hard but takes time. the most limiting thing is my pump. talked to the guys at Allison and they told me that they have run the stock 545 parts up to 1300ft/lbs in a truck with a 55,000 GVW and the input and out put shafts that make the 1000 look tiny held up fine. they told me that they dont think I can brake the setup I have with any thing any 5.9 can throw at it even sled pulling. I will blow the dana 60 and dana 80 apart long befor the trans goes. But the 1000 is a very strong trans and I would love to have one becous I have no over drive. I think I have seen pics of yours. I think the 1000 is by far the besst automotive trans on the market and would love ato have one in my '96 the 545 is not a good street trans the way mine is set up. Love to hear I'm not the only one that thinks the Allison 1000 is the best trans on the market.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:19 PM

1stGen545 , I've got a Allison [ I think that it is a 545 ] in a 73 Carpenter bus , National frame , Cat 3208 , it has 5 forward gears & 2 rev. gears , and I thought about using in my 94 , but thought that the size was an issue & the lack of a 6th gear-OD , so the 1000 has been on the list .
So it sounds like if your were going to do it again you'ld go with the 1000 ?
I'm guessing that with out the OD I would lose some millage , trying to get enough info to decide between a Gorends trans. [ maybe 3,000 ] or my 545 , or the 1000 , but it looks like the 1000 would take me way over what I'm trying to get away with ?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe32
Ben, you said "why not just go to the allison dealer and have it programmed for a medium duty truck". I said go ahead and see how you like it. It doesn't matter how it is done. It is proprietary information that you won't get off of this post so forget it. Ask Don M if he will give you the specs to his Helix camshafts, get my point?
well ok finally you're admitting that this conversion isnt so simple.

I said it cant be done simply and easilly. You first said it can be done [easilly]. Now you say it "can be done but there are proprietory parts so that makes it complicated". Why didnt you admit this in the first place? I could make my truck land on the moon with enough proprietory secret parts too. NOTHING is impossible, is just how much money and time and R&D you want to put into something.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 AM

It is not a conversion for someone with no mechanical ability What is hard to understand about that. Twist and constrew my words all you want. An average mechanic could do it, maybe not you but someone with mechanical ability. It isn't any more in depth than taking out a 47 re and putting in back in.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
well ok finally you're admitting that this conversion isnt so simple.

I said it cant be done simply and easilly. You first said it can be done [easilly]. Now you say it "can be done but there are proprietory parts so that makes it complicated". Why didnt you admit this in the first place? I could make my truck land on the moon with enough proprietory secret parts too. NOTHING is impossible, is just how much money and time and R&D you want to put into something.

The key is the last sentence you wrote. Why would we give you the information and profit from it when you didn't do any of the work. Seriously.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 AM

someone on one of the GM forums mentioned something about ATS coming out with a complete conversion package for the 1000 into a cummins, anyone else know anything on this?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Yeah.. That someone bleeds purple... ATS has had that controller on their site for 4 years "coming soon".
They don't tell you about that controller that magically jumped a trans into reverse going 60

You guys are getting way out of hand..

This conversion thing isn't black magic. It's not proprietary. There are thousands of calibrations that are out there written for TPS and they are in smaller vehicles.

Doing a conversion isn't too difficult. 80% of it is pretty straightforward. The other 20% is the hard part. Getting shift linkages to line up, getting the right t-case, wiring it up, making it look factory. If you're going to sell these things you better nail down the little things like brackets and such or you'll just have a hack job, and those are no fun to drive because they'll leave you stranded, become a nuisance and ruin what could have been a fun, reliable vehicle.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:11 PM

Just signing in on this thread. Gabe32 you have a pm from me.

Andy

Quick Reply: Allison tranny