Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so if i would put a 1000RDS trans in my truck. all i would have to do to bolt on the transfer case is change the tail shaft housing?? or would i have to change the rear output shaft too?? the rear housing on the RDS is sqaure and takes 4 bolts. and i see on the ones in the 4wd chevy trucks are round and have lots of holes were the transfer case bolts too. so would just changing the rear housing be all that needs to be done to make it work??

so now whats TranSynd????

and are the RDS trannys in the GMC 5500 trucks any better than the regular 1000 trans in the regular chevy trucks??

i have done alot of research on the SAE #3 bellhousing's from the cummins to the allisons and can't find anything. same for the flywheel. do u just ubolt the front bell housing off the allison 1000 and take one off an AT545 and bolt it on?? or how does it go??
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
so if i would put a 1000RDS trans in my truck. all i would have to do to bolt on the transfer case is change the tail shaft housing?? or would i have to change the rear output shaft too?? the rear housing on the RDS is sqaure and takes 4 bolts. and i see on the ones in the 4wd chevy trucks are round and have lots of holes were the transfer case bolts too. so would just changing the rear housing be all that needs to be done to make it work??

so now whats TranSynd????

and are the RDS trannys in the GMC 5500 trucks any better than the regular 1000 trans in the regular chevy trucks??

i have done alot of research on the SAE #3 bellhousing's from the cummins to the allisons and can't find anything. same for the flywheel. do u just ubolt the front bell housing off the allison 1000 and take one off an AT545 and bolt it on?? or how does it go??
sorry I made a slight mistake. The 1000RDS includes TranSynd and a stock Allison deep pan (holds a couple more quarts of fluid). Slightly different shift characteristics in the TCM, but otherwise identical to every other 1000 transmission.

ALl of the 2wd allisons have 4 bolt flanges on the tailshaft housng. Its to mount the optional drum parking brake...some allisons have a parking brake thats mounted directly to the tailshaft housing. The 4wd allisons have a 6 bolt flange to properly mount to a NP261/263 transfer case. I do not know if the 271 and 273 (dodge) have the same bolt pattern or sam spline count on the input. The 4wd Allison has a 29 spline output. I also I know for certain that you have to change the tailshaft housing, but I do NOT know if you have to change the output shaft as well...someone ese will have to answer that.

The 1000 transmissions in the 4500 and 5500 trucks are identical to the 2500 and 3500 transmissions, with the exception being the deep-pan add-on and TranSynd fluid. You can add the deep pan to any allison, its about 60 bucks at the Allison dealer. Gives more fluid capacity and doesnt cost 200-300 like a MAG Hytec pan, which is nice...

TranSynd is Allison's own special synthetic transmission fluid that they reccomend for all of their transmissions. Obviously regular Dexron III or Dexron VI can be used, but I would reccomend going with TranSynd. The trans likes it better, and the fluid change interval will be longer. Its about 140 bucks for 5 gallons at the Allison dealer. 5 gallons is about what the Allison 1000 takes when its completely empty.

ben
Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Emerson. Give me or Gabe a call. We did a 96 Dodge EC/LB 12 valve a few years ago. Turned out pretty good. Shifts just like the 24 valves do. We had a homemade 0 plate, and the star wheel was lost somewhere in the galaxy. So it was probably close to 300hp. The trans didn't have any issues with that power.

My brothers truck is an 02 HO EC/SB 4x4, 6" lift, 37x12.50R17 BFGMT's, 4.10 gears, 1000 series with an NVG 261 t-case.

Engine... Studded, DD stage V's, Industrial Injection HotRod pump, Edge juice w/ attitude HOT, Garrett GT37R Stage III.

So it runs pretty good. We'll have it on the dyno in a week or so. I'm guessing he should be really close to 500rwhp.

The tranny was built by me.. Few magic pump tricks and a trans-go kit and it's holding up..

That's saying something with Chase driving
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

so does your bro's TCM talk to the cummins ECM?

brayden I still cant possibly see how it would shift as nice as a truck with sem

it just uses a dumptruck/bus TPS-only cal does it not?

why have ATS and PCS been fighting with a standalone allison TCM for years when you can make it all run off a stock 3rd gen tcm? What gives? theres got to be some catch...
Old 01-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brayden
Few magic pump tricks and a trans-go kit and it's holding up..
what, no DTT?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Im following this thread closely,Im planning a swap in the future.I have a 2001 K2500 GMC 8100/ally,and id like to drop in a HPCR cummins ,and keep the 1000 thats in the truck now.Lots of good reading and info so far,Gabe and Brayden,keep up the good work.
The biggest advantages of the 1000 over the 47/48 are the fact that for most applications all the stock shafts are more than enough,and the internal gearing is much better,especially for a lot of the 2nd gen trucks that have taller tires,and 3.55 gearing,these trucks are very sluggish taking off with a trailer or heavily loaded,there is no way to get it rolling easily with a 2.45 1st gear and 32" tall tire,and 3.55 axles.Same thing for reverse.I find that when you build an aftermarket trans with a tighter tc,and the drivers need to do alot of slow speed moving or back trailers,the trans gets hot quickly due to the hi gearing and tighter tc.only the 4x4s can drop to lo range,and then they bind turning.The 1000 is so much better in these situations.
For all these reasons id like to keep the 1000 on my GMC,even though i have some 47/48 stuff i can build laying around.Couple that with the inline cummins ,and maybe enable 6th gr,and with my 3.73s and stock ride height i could average 20mpg highway consistently.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

Ben,

This isn't a program for a dump truck bus.. C'mon give me some credit.

How well do you like your 2001 TCM? It shifts pretty nice doesn't it?

That TCM doesn't use SEM. (Shift Energy Management).
It's a bidirectional communication between the engine and transmission that allows for torque reduction between shifts and in certain safety situations.. i.e torque limiting in 4lo and traction control.

Everybody was clammering to get their hands on an 01 TCM because they shifted better for racing etc...

Actually I like the shifts better without SEM because you can actually run some power on the stock trans or mildly modified one. I'd bet we're close to 500rwhp on my brothers cummins and he's just running minor mods. Shifting great!

SEM is just a way to add power to a truck yet still keep the transmission alive. It helps with longevity. A band aid IMO.
The PCS/ATS controller won't have SEM. Why would you want it then?

As for PCS and ATS... Well they didn't do their homework.
There is no catch... plain and simple. Who's controller would you rather have running your truck? One that the factory designed, that has full diagnostic capability, can be replaced for relatively cheap if it fails, and is proven.

Call PCS up and ask for a controller.. They won't even answer the phones anymore. They're out of business. ATS may have bought out the rights to the controller but there again.. It's been on there website for 4 years.. Coming soon.

I've also heard some nasty stories about jumping into reverse going 65mph+.... Doesn't sound like too good of an option to me.

Not ranting Ben, but just wanted you to know that it works, and works great. You'll just have to come down sometime and take a ride. I'll make a believer out of you!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

Actually that DTT kit has been a pain.. But once I got through the first 3 rebuilds or so I've got it pretty well figured out. I will say this, it holds 500+ hp on stock frictions & steels. Imagine what would happen when you go to upgraded frictions!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

To clarify some of the mess of transmission models up there..

There are really only 3 models of the LCT Allison.
1000 which can be had in various forms, but is most common in the Duramax equipped pickups.

Then there is the 2000 series which is a deeper ratio 1000 without a park pawl.

The 2400 series is a deep ratio, but has a park pawl.

The vocational models offer various I/O package, warranty, and configuration options.

But for the junkyard scroungers, 1K, 2K, 2400 series are the main differences.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 AM

We're up to 20 pages now & its getting hard to keep thinking about this as a option , so many things to pick from , I'll keep reading because I like to see whats out there , but not a racer , puller ect. , it would seem that just getting a mid range Georend trans. is going to be my best opp. , I've bend following this since the begging , it sounded like an opp. but with the back & forth of what will or will not work & the number of trans. op. , then the cost I think that its cost is prohbitive for anybody that itn't in a extream end of use .
But keep it up , its good info .
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

Don't let the above trans options scare you away.. You only want one.. The 1000 series.

Yes you can build a 47RE/H to handle the power for probably a bit cheaper.. But you can build an Allison and swap it in and have one heck of a stout trans that will last longer.

The Allison's are just faster too. When you hammer it, you can tell you're getting the power to the ground.. Well at least it's getting to the tires They sometimes have a problem holding on though Do they make 37" drag slicks?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

How well do you like your 2001 TCM? It shifts pretty nice doesn't it?
Im running a 2003 TCM and always have been

I tried running a 2001 TCM a while ago, and I still logged a commanded defuel. The only one Ive run that didnt seem to use SEM was a 2400 TCM (yes, a 2400, no it didnt limp because I changed the ratios in efi)

I'd bet we're close to 500rwhp on my brothers cummins and he's just running minor mods. Shifting great!
what calibration does it use? Something secret? : Does it talk to the cummins ECM?

I've also heard some nasty stories about jumping into reverse going 65mph+.... Doesn't sound like too good of an option to me.
Yeah dont put one in neutral while you're moing either!!! (it will apply all the clutchpack at once. got carnage?)

No im not doubting you Brayden, I know you know your crap better than probably anyone on this board. Im just cuious because doesnt it take a lot of work to make a non-sem TCM shift nice with a LOT more power than the TCM is expecting? I was talking to Mike and he said without TCM-ECM bidi communication it will not last very long, and will have very harsh shifts at WOT with big power.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

But once I got through the first 3 rebuilds or so I've got it pretty well figured out.
suncoasts you only have to build once

try drilling some extra holes in the vb spacer plate, worked for me!

is kondolay still doing anything with the allison or does it just keep fading farther away? Im not being a smart*&@, Im just curious.

are you using doc to tune the TCM or efilive? do you have to mess around with all the shift timing tables a lot to make those bigger apply pistons work without a tieup? No offence to DTT, but brayden with all your allison knowledge, im surprised you have stuck with DTT and their "different" methods of making an ally 'work'
Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

You'll just have to come visit Ben

The DTT was just a challenge... It works OK for the most part but the 3/4 tie up eats C2's..

DOC will not allow any changes to be made to the calibrations.. EFILive is the only option.

I think the TCM's Mike has experienced were tweaked with EFILive. If you lower the shift timing numbers etc.. you're playing with fire.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned

hm secret squirrel eh brayden? come to merchants this summer!

maKes sense....3-4 is tricky with any built allison...I assume cause its the transition from one brake clutch and one rotating clutch to the two rotating clutches, no??

try running a 2400 TCM if you have a free moment. You think a DTT is scary

Quick Reply: Allison tranny