Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duratothemax
so I can go to my local Allison dealer and have them build me a custom TCM from the ground up with me specifying all the options???????

is that why you pay 2000 dollars for suncoast's 6-speed TCM when you could bring a core TCM into the local ally dealer and have them load up a 6-speed cal?
Did I say you could do that? I told you to call them and ask them if the tranny could run soley on a TPS and nothing else from the engine. That is all.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:51 PM

thank-you fdpower!!!!

but I thought gabe's allison TCM has no defuel....? And I thought he said the allison doesnt need any defuel to shift??

ben
If you reread that again, you will see he was agreeing with me!! I think!!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 PM

I just drove Gabe's truck on Sunday. For a bunch of parts that shouldn't work well together, it sure shifted great and runs very, very strong. Some of the bombed Dodge automatics I've driven with real tight converters take a ton of brake pedal effort to get the trucks to stop. Gabe's truck is nothing like that, its also a good daily driver. He showed me the difference in input shafts between the Dodge and Allison, its pretty substantial.

As far as dyno numbers go, if you look at his signature, you can see he's putting out loads of power and I can confirm that his truck has everything in it listed in his signature. I've driven his truck and I want mine to be like his!!!

I liked it so much that Gabe is going to install an Allison in my 2001 Dodge in the next couple of weeks. I'll have twins, Mach 5's, TST Comp, and a CatCHER ECM. With my H.O. pump, I'll probably be limited to ~550hp. I'll get it on a dyno when I get it back. Man, I can't wait.

Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
For which tranny? The ally?
yep, for the allison.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Angry_ETH
I just drove Gabe's truck on Sunday. For a bunch of parts that shouldn't work well together, it sure shifted great and runs very, very strong. Some of the bombed Dodge automatics I've driven with real tight converters take a ton of brake pedal effort to get the trucks to stop. Gabe's truck is nothing like that, its also a good daily driver. He showed me the difference in input shafts between the Dodge and Allison, its pretty substantial.

As far as dyno numbers go, if you look at his signature, you can see he's putting out loads of power and I can confirm that his truck has everything in it listed in his signature. I've driven his truck and I want mine to be like his!!!

I liked it so much that Gabe is going to install an Allison in my 2001 Dodge in the next couple of weeks. I'll have twins, Mach 5's, TST Comp, and a CatCHER ECM. With my H.O. pump, I'll probably be limited to ~550hp. I'll get it on a dyno when I get it back. Man, I can't wait.

Dave

awesome! make sure you write down all the parts needed, costs, and post up pics too!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

I gotta go pick up 5 gallons of transynd (cause I lost all mine when I hit a huge deer) so I will ask the service dept at Detroit Diesel Allison what they can do as far as making me a TCM with special options...6 speed anyone?

I say its not legit because Im not convinced its something anyone can walk in and buy from the detroit diesel allison dealer. Gabe said he had a friend who helped him with the TCM's. What im curious about is how his friend "obtained" the TCM's. Im not going to say any more about it because im not in that position, certain people know what im talking about and I just want them to know my feelings on it

ben
Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 PM

I obtain the TCM's myself off of wrecked trucks, my friend does the programming and it is legit. Whether you believe me or not makes no difference to me. There is nothing shady about what we are doing.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Chapter President

I think I have read this thread 4 times, and still find something new everytime. Gabe32 thanks for all the info. You have my mind thinking about a cummins/ally drag truck and how sweet that would be.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM

hopefully this will clear things up. I called a tech at Allison and told him I wanted to put a 1000 in my dodge ram, and asked him if there is a stand alone TCM I could use. He said ANY allison distributor can program whatever you want into the TCM to put behind anything. he said they the only reason they don't sell a program so you can change the settings yourself is because they would have to build another plant for manufacturing because they would be selling that much more. he told me they already can't get enough made for the demand. Sounds like Gabes friend is a distributor and can program them, nothing shady about that.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
awesome! make sure you write down all the parts needed, costs, and post up pics too!
Sorry, wish I could help. I'm a customer of Gabe's, so he's not going to give me all that information and I wouldn't expect him to. He's doing all the work. Its no different than asking other diesel performance vendors for injector spray angles or pop-off pressures, turbo MAPs, or cam profiles. Good luck, most will tell you its propietary knowledge. Can you blame them? They're just trying to make a buck and recover some R&D costs.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:18 AM

Me an gabe talked at lenght the other night . An he got his head on straight . I let my friends in the tranny department look at this post an they we laughin their azzez off at duratothemax and some of false hoods about an allison trans. the retrofit is legit an when my six speed breaks im doin it too!!!now im just gatherin parts..lol well im open to anymore questions an defendin gabe...lol
Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Banned

well then straighten me out, if Im such a retard. Make me look like an "azz" if it it makes you feel better, Im always willing to learn.

Ive never gone to any allison training but I have built allison's with no pre-experience whatsoever and they have not blown up, unlike some people who know every allison service manual by heart, can use DOC with their eyes closed, yet they cant even build an ally for crap. I know its easy for you because you are an "allison tech" and you do it everyday because its your job that you were trained to do, im just a dumb old "hobbyist". Im also a lot younger than you probably think so you'll have to cut me some slack and excuse my lack of knowledge.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM

I gotta go pick up 5 gallons of transynd (cause I lost all mine when I hit a huge deer) so I will ask the service dept at Detroit Diesel Allison what they can do as far as making me a TCM with special options...6 speed anyone?

I say its not legit because Im not convinced its something anyone can walk in and buy from the detroit diesel allison dealer. Gabe said he had a friend who helped him with the TCM's. What im curious about is how his friend "obtained" the TCM's. Im not going to say any more about it because im not in that position, certain people know what im talking about and I just want them to know my feelings on it

ben
I can't walk into a Dodge dealer and buy an Edge box, SMARTY, DTT valve body and/or torque convertor. Does that make those manufacturers less than legit? Why is an Allison TCM different than anyother part supplied by aftermarket vendors? You can get aftermarket Allison torque convertors, etc., why not TCMs?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 AM

you can buy a tcm out right but its better if you can get one used(cheaper). an durotothemax i aint dissin you or nothin. ypu just have to have an open mind an not think of this thing is concrete. Im not just an allison tech im a deisel tech also, i work on detroit,mercedes benz,cat and sum cummins. but you are right there are guys out there that can work doc but cant build one to save their life. i aint one of them. no bodys dumb unless they keep a closed mind to ideas that may seem remote but is possible.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 AM

you can go and buy a TCM from a allison dealer calibrated to run on TPS but your truck will shift like crap. That program isn't tailored to "your" truck. This is what the program I use does. It is custom to your truck.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny