Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defuel is part of the Allison TCM programming. What is it? Shift Energy Management. It reduces torque to allow the mechanical springs to release the clutch once the trip solenoid de energizes the fluid flow to that Clutch.

If there is no defuel, or time to allow that clutch to release you will have more than 2 clutches applying at once and a fried transmission on your hands.

Not true. you dont need a 1939 to use a allision tcm. Defuel is not part of allison programing.With the tps % the tcm calulates how hard or soft its going to shift. An programing an the tcm aint no big deal.you can program the tcm so all it doesnt need the 1939
Old 12-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Got Juice?
My TT DMX used to tow 65% of it's life. At GCVW and beyond 500 miles at a time over some of the most vicious mountain passes you could imagine.

Grapevine? =Speed Bump
4th of July = minor rise in elevation
Vantage, pretty good effort, if it was 20 mph slower and went on another 40 miles.

My truck was no Dyno queen either. It worked for my living. Why are you scared to hit the rollers in your current configuration??

Glad it's all working for you. The 'planets' must be aligned for you.

Who ever said I am afraid of dynoing? I am waiting for some guys to give me a call from this site and we are heading to a dyno. What is it everybody wanting dyno numbers? You can a drive a 400 hp truck harder and tear more stuff up than somebody driving a 600 hp truck "normal". Alot of longevity depends on how well something is maintained and driven.

FDPOWER: RIGHT ON!! Some people still will disagree. What do ya do?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4
If it works......which I think it does(just my .02, prolly worth less than that) cool. Duratothemax, I understand your thoughts of knowing the transmission inside and out but you seem a little nagative about this actualy working, shouldnt you be for the idea of a nearly indestructible drivetrain?

no no I know it works!! I already said in a previous post that it would be the best of both worlds (cummins/ally)

what I am saying is it is much simpler that gabe seems to be making it out to be, and Im lost with some of the things he is talking about, how things exactly work on his truck, and I dont exactly buy some of the things he says (no SEM whatsoever, no data bus comm between the ECM and TCM, that the TCM is standalone and will work on a 12 valve)

and the fact that the TCM's that hes using arent exactly "legit".

ben
Old 12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Guys,

Explain something to me, why must these "defuel" for lack of a better word to shift? My 12 valve won't and doesn't, and my built 47 is living just fine under full throttle shifts?

I am just curious, not trying to debate which is better.

its because the Allison is a completely different trans and uses a compeltely different method of shifting/functioning.

ben
Old 12-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe32
There is an allison dealer in Cincinnati Ohio and you can call them and see if you can get the TCM to run soley on a TPS. If they can't run soley on a TPS, why does allison sell a TPS for their transmissions

so I can go to my local Allison dealer and have them build me a custom TCM from the ground up with me specifying all the options???????

is that why you pay 2000 dollars for suncoast's 6-speed TCM when you could bring a core TCM into the local ally dealer and have them load up a 6-speed cal?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FDPOWER
Defuel is part of the Allison TCM programming. What is it? Shift Energy Management. It reduces torque to allow the mechanical springs to release the clutch once the trip solenoid de energizes the fluid flow to that Clutch.

If there is no defuel, or time to allow that clutch to release you will have more than 2 clutches applying at once and a fried transmission on your hands.
thank-you fdpower!!!!

but I thought gabe's allison TCM has no defuel....? And I thought he said the allison doesnt need any defuel to shift??

ben
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by duratothemax
its because the Allison is a completely different trans and uses a compeltely different method of shifting/functioning.

ben
Thank you!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Its back , just want to get linked to this , so to learn more , I am going to do a trans soon , either Gorend bros / the Allison .
Thanks for the info guys .
Old 12-04-2006, 02:36 PM

If you don't go allison, Dave is a great choice!!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM

FYI, dave goerend does magic for allisons too!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:46 PM

I got to the point of Dave being the only after market trans I wanted , and then I make the mistake of reading here and there and find more opptions .
Since the dollars are not in my pocket , I'm still reading .
And yes I have looked into ATS , BD ect. .
Now I'll have to see how cheap I could find a buildable Allison .
That brings the ? of yrs & souces to find the Allisons out of ?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by John Faughn
That brings the ? of yrs & souces to find the Allisons out of ?
2001-2005 Allisons are all the same and are interchangable.

some MINOR differences include:

2001-2002 allison's had an older converter pump valve in them which could cause converter drainback if left sitting for a couple days and then being started (converter has to fill back up again, causing the trans to CLUNK into drive or limp itself)

2001-2002 allison's had an older style NSBU switch which could get water in it and fail, however allison came out with a replacment switch that fixes the problem. Most 01-02 allisons already have the updated switch as a result of the original failing.

2004.5+ allison's had a slightly different converter cutback valve/knockdown spring (I think thats what its called??) which in turned dropped line pressure a bit more in lockup than the 2001-2004 allison's did.

2005 allisons had a different G solenoid or something of the sort. Also in 2005 the PTO gear on the C1/C2 drum was replaced with a simple tone wheel because hardly anyone puts a PTO on the non chassis cab trucks. If you really want PTO on your late 04-05 allison, simply replace the C2 drum with one from a 01-04 truck when you rebuild it, thats it. When I rebuilt mine I put the older style C2 drum in with the PTO gear on it. Will I ever use the PTO? Probably not, but I figured I might as well add it while I was in there just for grins.

but as I said these differences are minor enough that every 01-05 allison is interchangable with no mods to the truck or TCM or anything.

as far as building the allison, my vote goes to suncoast all the way. Suncoast IV should do everyone just fine. Even a Suncoast III will hold over 500 rwhp. You can even just add a TransGo kit and Suncoast torque converter and hold a lot of power with stock clutches and eveyrthing else. Theres a dmax guy who has a set of Nathan's twins on his crew cab/short bed truck and runs 11.8x on fuel only...I forget what he dyno'd at but he only has a TransGo/triple disc TC in his trans and its holding fine.

I built mine with a Suncoast IV kit and its holding up 110% after 30,000 miles of daily abuse, towing, and 12 second passes. As for the torque converter, I love the 1057-3D. Much tighter and more aggressive coupling and "fun" to drive around town. Its unique in that its built from half a 1000 converter and the other half is from an allison medium duty transmission converter, hence the more aggressive closer coupling for heavyier medium-duty loads etc...

suncoast also offers the 1050 and 1056. 1056 has a closer feel to the 1057 than the 1050. The 1057 costs 200 dollars more than the 1056 and 1050 because it requires two cores to make (one from the gm pickup allison adn the other from a medium duty ally)

One of my buddies has a suncoast 1050-3D and his truck just feels "lazier" around town compared to mine. Obviously once all the converters are locked up there is no difference between any of them....

ben
Old 12-04-2006, 03:50 PM

great info!
also another FYI about dave goerend, talked to him about them and he just builds a triple disk converter and gets the rest of the parts from suncoast
Old 12-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
great info!
also another FYI about dave goerend, talked to him about them and he just builds a triple disk converter and gets the rest of the parts from suncoast
For which tranny? The ally?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 PM

and the fact that the TCM's that hes using arent exactly "legit".

Explain to me how they are not legit. Once you buy something its your to do what you want with.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny