Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

To All You Folks With Turbo Cool-Down Timers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stumbled upon this by accident:

Oh, and we're on for Thursday night if Tyler is still in. I think we can get him back home before too terribly late.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:51 AM

Good to hear, we'll talk him into it.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

We'll see what's going on tomorrow night and how I feel. As of right now, it ain't looking to promising.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:18 PM

OK, I changed my setting from 1 minute of cool-down to 3 minutes. Don't like it as much for my convenience because I often jump out for right around three minutes and then get back in and so I'm always wondering if I should start the cool-down sequence and let it turn off (just to have me hop right back in and turn it on again) or if I should use the * x 2 option to keep it running.

Anyway, here's how to change your setting...

1. Open a door (I use the drivers door and keep it propped open with my leg)

2. Turn the ignition on, then back off (leaving the key in the ignition afterward)

3. Press and hold the Valet Switch until you hear one beep, then two beeps, then three beeps. After the three beeps, release the Valet Switch.

4. Press the Valet Switch 8 times and hold it in on the 8th time. You will then hear SEVEN chirps.

5. While still holding in the Valet Switch, press the Unlock button on the remote. Press it once will select the 3 minute cool-down, twice will select the 5 minute option, and pressing it a third time will select the 10 minute option.

6. Release the Valet Switch and go about your day.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:52 PM

Wow, that sure is a lot of work! On my Crimestopper unit, I just have to press on my brake, and flip a switch the number of minutes I want it to run. Take out the key, and go about your day. The lights turn on to let you know it is running off of the module.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Crimedog
Wow, that sure is a lot of work! I just have to press on my brake, and flip a switch the number of minutes I want it to run. Take out the key, and go about your day. The lights turn on to let you know it is running off of the module.
HAHA! No sir, those are the steps required to REPROGRAM the selected turbo-cool down time on a DEI Python 881XP/Viper 791VX/Clifford RSX Matrix 3.5 alarm system. Those are not the steps required to initiate the cool-down sequence itself. Most people don't even mess with the selected cool-down time at all, but PhoxMulder wanted to change his (as did I).

When we want to get out of the truck and initiate the actual cool-down sequence (mine runs for 3 minutes before turning off), it's as easy as what you do (if not easier). You just press two buttons on the remote at the same time and the parking lights begin to flash as the timer begins. Very, very easy.

Gotta love these things, huh!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by STAT 007
OK, I changed my setting from 1 minute of cool-down to 3 minutes. Don't like it as much for my convenience because I often jump out for right around three minutes and then get back in and so I'm always wondering if I should start the cool-down sequence and let it turn off (just to have me hop right back in and turn it on again) or if I should use the * x 2 option to keep it running.

Anyway, here's how to change your setting...

1. Open a door (I use the drivers door and keep it propped open with my leg)

2. Turn the ignition on, then back off (leaving the key in the ignition afterward)

3. Press and hold the Valet Switch until you hear one beep, then two beeps, then three beeps. After the three beeps, release the Valet Switch.

4. Press the Valet Switch 8 times and hold it in on the 8th time. You will then hear SEVEN chirps.

5. While still holding in the Valet Switch, press the Unlock button on the remote. Press it once will select the 3 minute cool-down, twice will select the 5 minute option, and pressing it a third time will select the 10 minute option.

6. Release the Valet Switch and go about your day.
Thank you.
That is much easier to decipher than the the install manual.

I sat down the other day and looked like this by the time I found the procedure in there.
Once I read the 2 pages on how to get to the setup mode felt like this .
By that time I was on my 3rd cigarette and had forgotten everything I'd read till that point.
Had no idea how many times I should have pushed the valet button or the unlock.

Can I assume if during step 5 you push unlock again it starts over with the 1 minute run time?

I tested my current duration, and gave up after 5 minutes and shut it off, so that leads me to believe it is currently set for 10 minutes.

So, if I'm starting with 10, would that be 1 push for 1 minute, 2 pushes for 3 minutes, then release the valet switch?
Or, once in program mode, it starts with the default of 1?

And there isn't anything you have to do other than releasing the valet switch to exit programming mode?

thanx again.

phox
Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
Thank you.
That is much easier to decipher than the the install manual.
You're welcome! That's great to hear.

I sat down the other day and looked like this by the time I found the procedure in there.
Once I read the 2 pages on how to get to the setup mode felt like this .
By that time I was on my 3rd cigarette and had forgotten everything I'd read till that point.
ROFL!!! Yeah, the two manuals aren't written as clearly as they could have been. But I think they figure that by the time an installer figures out how it's actually done, he'll know for good. But for those of us who are doing this on OUR OWN VEHICLES for the FIRST TIME, deciphering all the jargon and ambiguities is a lot harder.

Can I assume if during step 5 you push unlock again it starts over with the 1 minute run time?
No, actually the LOCK button will always select the default setting (1 minute in this case) and the UNLOCK button will toggle through the other setting options. So you're going to have to use a stopwatch or watch to see how long it's running for. Actually, it might beep once for the first alternate option, twice for the second one, etc. But I'd just press UNLOCK once for 3 minutes or press it twice for 5 minutes. I like 3 minutes (actually liked 1 minute the best, but I hear that 3 is better).

I tested my current duration, and gave up after 5 minutes and shut it off, so that leads me to believe it is currently set for 10 minutes.
Smoke another couple of cigs or something. You'll only have to do this once, then you'll know what it's set for.

And there isn't anything you have to do other than releasing the valet switch to exit programming mode?
Nope. Just relese the Valet Switch and close the door. From the Install Guide:

To exit the learn routine, do any of the following:
1. Close the open door
2. Turn the ignition on
3. Leave the system inactive for longer than 15 seconds
Old 03-02-2004, 09:43 PM

Oh, one more thing...

Is there anything that the system is or isn't doing that you're even the least bit unhappy with? There are a TON of settings on this bad boy and I can help you fix/add something that might be giving you a little grief.

Like when I first hooked mine all up, I didn't like how the domelight is set by default to come on whenever the ignition is turned on or off. I wanted the standard Dodge domelight delay and didn't want it to come on as soon as I turned the car off. So I changed that option.

I also didn't like how the door locks would trigger as soon as I turned the ignition on. Again, I just wanted to go back to the standard Dodge door lock trigger at 15 mph or whatever. So I changed that option as well. There were a few others, but those were the main ones where I was like, "Uh...thanks guys, but my truck came with these features already set the way I like them." Let me know if there's anything you wish you could change.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Ya, there is actually.

I've noticed it seems like the alarm and the truck are fighting over the door locks.

I unlock with the remote, get in and turn key to on, and the doors lock.
Once I start, the doors unlock, then about 5 seconds later, they lock again.
Once I hit 15 mph, the truck wants to lock them again, so I hear the solenoids trigger again, even though they are already locked.

I do like how both doors unlock when you turn the key off though, don't have to remember to unlock the passenger side if I need to get anything out, or let someone in.

Wish the dome would turn off when locking it with the remote, like it did with the factory key fob.
Instead, it leaves it on, and gives me a double chirp letting me know I left the dome light on

Now that I know it's that simple, I'll have to give the manual another go over.

phox
Old 03-03-2004, 08:18 AM

I have the Isspro Turbo Temperature Monitor. It's temperature, not time. It uses the thermocouple for the pyro gauge. I have mine set to 300 degrees.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 AM

rattle_rattle,
That's what I'm looking for. I didn't know Isspro made one but I was thinking the other day that ideal way to do it would be to monitor the thermocouple signal and shut the truck off when it gets below a preset threshold. Where'd you get it from and how much $$$ if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Banned

I'm curious also. I plan on getting an Isspro EGT gauge here shortly when taxes come back and that would be a neat little feature to have.