Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

All injectors are NOT created equal.....RV275's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All injectors are NOT created equal.....RV275's

I have a customer that brought in some "new rv 275's" that he bought on line from a diesel retailer for his 1999 CTD. No problem, I would install them for 1hr labor and did mention that on some 98-99 trucks cross tubes wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'd try without the new ones. No problem right????..... Installed the injectors and was greeted with a dead hole. Ok, maybe air or debris. Let the truck run awile with no change and even took it for a "spirited" test drive....still missing. Ok, maybe the cross tube.... Threw a new one in. Still misses. Ok, this is really annoying and I'm starting to see my "hour labor" is now cutting into my time. Luckily it was #1 with the prob and not #6. Removed the 1 injector and installed one of the original injectors. Whaalaa!!... runs like a champ. Checked the oil level (checked it prior to the install. I usually shut it down and check it in one minute to base line....just in case.) and it seemed to have "made oil"...CRAP!! Well maybe it was the #1. Let it sit awile and went to start it....loooonggg crank time. We know what that is......fuel is bleeding off. Pulled the valve cover again. Ran the engine. Found #3 was pushing fuel past the injector thus "making oil". Removed the cross tube and injector on #3. Tube looked fine, but I noted that the injector came out VERY easy. Granted I just installed them, but I easily lifted it out of the bore. O ring seal was intact, but in comparing it to the original injector O ring it became apparent that the O ring on the "new" injector was a smaller diameter that OEM. You could visually see it as well as run your finger down the sided of the two injectors and feel the difference. Removed the O ring from the original injector and installed it on the "new" injector. Installed the injector and also a new cross tube and fired it up. Good, no leak. Let it set and after 20 minute it cracked right off. Good! no fuel leak, but I am still leary of the "fit" of the other 4 o rings. Another thing "funny" about these "new" injectors is that there is NO PART NUMBER on any of them. I've probably installed four sets of RV 275's and they all had a part numbers on them. This is exactly how the add read. I copied it and posted it below.

Item Details Dodge Bosch NEW 275hp 24 Valve Injectors #432193635
1998.5-2002 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Bosch NEW 275hp 24 Valve Injectors

$279.99

qty.

Granted I bought my RV's used from a member here, but at least they had the part number on them and I even re-used the o rings without a prob. The other sets I've installed for customers usually ran them over $400......and they all had the Bosch number on them too.....and had NO issues on the install. Needless to say I was rather unimpressed with the "smokin" deal this guy got on them, and any work I do here on out will be charged for accordingly. At this point I would really prefer to remove them and go with another.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post. That's a good reminder that lowest price is not always the best deal.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned

I have found that you do always get what you pay for.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you shouls have a policy where you won't install injectors unless they do have a part number on them. Just an idea.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Could it have been a knock-off Chinese version?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 AM

I see a LOT of crooked marketing on ebay and the web pertaining to the "300 HP injectors". Some people have no integrity.

I purchased mine from a local dealer who actually sells the RV275's (RV/marine injectors) with the part number on them. Incidentally they too now advertise them as 300's. When asked why they said its the only way to be competitive and the injectors will actually support 300HP assuming other mods are made.

Good post... Just goes to show that a good price is worthless if you don't know what you're buying.