Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AirDog vs. FASS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The VP44 inlet size is 12mm x 1.5mm IIRC.

In my '02, there were no less than 3 restrictions smaller than 1/4". I did my install quite a while ago and also instaled one of the first Draw Straws.

With my 12v pump hokked to the factory suction side, my peak pressures were the same at idle as the modded version. My WOT pressure was 21-22 psi in the stock configuration. It jumped to 37 psi with -8 line and a Draw Straw on the suction side.

So, even with the relatively low amounts of flow, the larger suction line made a huge difference. The pressure side hose size remained unchanged.

Dave
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM

You just can't argue with that. Anyway, it wasn't an arguement it was a discussion with opinions. With those pressures and flows comming out of the lift pump the lines from the pump to the engine were of adequate. Well, just to keep this arg.. oops conversation going, you might have had better pressure if you had used a burgundy colored line. What color did you use?

Charlie (Kidding)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

been running the airdog and very happy with it. 150 GPH pump has taken care of 850 HP on fuel and 1280 HP on nitrous
Hmmm....
Lets see here,the guy who said Walbro was the way to go gets a AirDog sent to him and now they are the cats tail,go figure.

Charlie..
Glad to see your around and feeling better!.

As for the original question....
I'm just wondering why the FASS system seems to be more popular?
Its one of those taste deals...
One guy likes one brand another likes a different brand,the bigger question is this......WHO FRIGGIN CARES WHY?????....Pick your pump,install it and stand by your decision,why worry about small crap like WHY...Sheesh......Andy
Old 12-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Charlie, I don't know if you are adressing myself or someone else. I sure don't see any arguments here!

I have always wished the inlet size on the VP44 was 14mm like the older pumps. It sure would go a long way to solving some issues I believe.

Dave
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Hi Dave,

Rowj had commented that the big line was a marketing ploy. Only unless giving everybody pretty much what they want for no extra cost is a ploy.

In other words, the Fuel Preporators and AirDogs have been off the scene for the last 2 1/2 years.
Any company or product with no one competing can take over a market without much effort.

Everyone who has ever had a Fuel Preporator on a class 8 truck knows the performance of this product, it set the standard. WELL, the Fuel Preporator and the Dogs (AirDog that is) is back along with their new buddy the Raptor Fuel Pump.

Ain't Life Great!

Charlie
Old 12-15-2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fuel Preporator
Hi Dave,

Rowj had commented that the big line was a marketing ploy. Only unless giving everybody pretty much what they want for no extra cost is a ploy.
I understand what you are saying. And I agree.

Dave
Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 PM

My AirDog 150 is here and will be installed on Christmas day!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
DTR Advertiser

I believe competition is great; it pushes us to strive for higher quality products!

Originally Posted by sshelly

I'm just wondering why the FASS system seems to be more popular? Especially when I constantly see problems with it (loud motor, brush problems etc?).
Originally Posted by RowJ

“Problems with the FASS are, I believe, related to the large number of units out there ... and have all been addressed. Still a very small percentage of the total # (that were installed properly to start with ”
FASS has over 27,000 systems in the field with less than a 3% failure rate. All issues with the FASS are addressed as they appear to the company. As many products, the FASS is constantly improved.

The growing popularity is derived from the following:

• Reputation for setting the industry standards
• High quality, concealed brushes
• Gerotor style pumps
• High quality motors w/High torque (196 – 406 oz of torque)
• Tight pump assembly tolerances (+/- .001)
• Assembled through 25 point inspection
• Precision machining (T-6061 billet aluminum)
• “VacuSeal” technology, designed by me in 1995
• The first to have a 6 year warranty
• Cross-referenced filters with Fleetguard

This statement is made with all fairness to the AirDog. Benefits can be seen from both products. We feel the time invested in the Research & Development of the FASS makes it a superior product.

Brad Ekstam
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

FASS has over 27,000 systems in the field with less than a 3% failure rate. All issues with the FASS are addressed as they appear to the company. As many products, the FASS is constantly improved.
I have seen that first hand and Thank FASS for their dedication to their customers........andy
Old 12-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeamFASS
I believe competition is great; it pushes us to strive for higher quality products!

The growing popularity is derived from the following:

• Reputation for setting the industry standards
• High quality, concealed brushes
• Gerotor style pumps
• High quality motors w/High torque (196 – 406 oz of torque)
• Tight pump assembly tolerances (+/- .001)
• Assembled through 25 point inspection
• Precision machining (T-6061 billet aluminum)
• “VacuSeal” technology, designed by me in 1995
• The first to have a 6 year warranty
• Cross-referenced filters with Fleetguard

This statement is made with all fairness to the AirDog. Benefits can be seen from both products. We feel the time invested in the Research & Development of the FASS makes it a superior product.

Brad Ekstam

Im still trying to find a fleetguard filter for my fass 95/95.
Could you tell me the part number please?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 PM

This may have been asked, or even shown before, but do either of the competing companies have any charts that show the flow vs. pressure?

Personally, I'd like to know what each one flows. Everyone say they like their pressure at "x" psi, but I wanna see what the pumps are actually flowing at said pressures.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
With all due respect...i have answered this question several times on these different threads:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=181897

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=177550

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=180354
Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
FG currently has a water separator for the FASS 95 Series, part #19768. We are currently working with FG to get a cross reference on the fuel filter.

Brad
Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 AM

I've heard fass dealers have to sign a non competition agreement which is why fass is all you see with some dealers.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM
DTR Advertiser

We have two types of dealers, they are a VIP Dealer or an Authorized Dealer. The only difference between them is the Authorized Dealer can sell competitors products to where the VIP Dealer agrees not to sell a competitors product. The VIP Dealer in-turn gets direct referrals from us, by way of a listing on FASSride.com along with getting direct phone referrals. By no means do we prohibit a dealer from selling a competitors product, but we reward those (FASS VIP Dealer) who only sell our product line with referrals.

Brad

Quick Reply: AirDog vs. FASS