Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Airdog 150 and Vulcan Draw Straw: Can it be done, and if so, how?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airdog 150 and Vulcan Draw Straw: Can it be done, and if so, how?

Hi all,

I have an Airdog 150 system on the way, and rather than drilling the tank I really like the idea of using the Vulcan Draw Straw and the tank module. This way I don't have to drill the tank. Has anybody used the Vulcan draw straw and Airdog 150 together, and if so, how is it done? I'm confused as to what to do with return line port on the Vulcan straw?

Thanks alot-

Nightcrawler50
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 150's come with the draw straw, the 100's don't.
Here's all you need to know about doing it. very nice write up.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=184672
Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler50
Hi all,

I have an Airdog 150 system on the way, and rather than drilling the tank I really like the idea of using the Vulcan Draw Straw and the tank module. This way I don't have to drill the tank. Has anybody used the Vulcan draw straw and Airdog 150 together, and if so, how is it done? I'm confused as to what to do with return line port on the Vulcan straw?

Thanks alot-

Nightcrawler50
I have that exact setup. Your return fuel line goes into your fuel filler neck using a "Y" pipe that comes in the Airdog kit.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:08 PM

So what about the 5/16' return port on blue top part of the Vulcan straw....did you just leave it open or plug it with something to keep trash out? Do you like this setup?

Thanks for the replies-

Originally Posted by J Lent
I have that exact setup. Your return fuel line goes into your fuel filler neck using a "Y" pipe that comes in the Airdog kit.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler50
So what about the 5/16' return port on blue top part of the Vulcan straw....did you just leave it open or plug it with something to keep trash out? Do you like this setup?

Thanks for the replies-
I just left the stock lines in place & capped them off by the engine. Incase I ever go to sell it, back to stock easily.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

Here are some good shots of the system & return line. http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-24...tall-pics.html
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM

if I had a 98.5-04 truck this is what I would use....then you CAN plumb your AD150 into the stock canister suction and return and not have to worry about weird fuel pressure readings at 1/4 tank.
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail
**NOTE**I have not tried this on a 2nd gen... I just think it might work really well??????
Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
if I had a 98.5-04 truck this is what I would use....then you CAN plumb your AD150 into the stock canister suction and return and not have to worry about weird fuel pressure readings at 1/4 tank
Guys who get the wierd readings & lose fuel pressure at 1/4 tank is because the straw wasn't installed properly. I run my truck to red & well into it a few times with no problems at all. Alot of guys don't take it into consideration that the tank is plastic & it will flex with a full tank of fuel. You gotta make sure that the straw touches the bottom of the tank & don't cut it at too much angle. I just cut a slight angle around 22* or so.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 AM

I think you will still have the return line from the engine/VP44. This is usually what connects to the 5/16" fitting on the Vulcan Draw Straw. The return line from the AD 150 normally goes to the Y adapter that you can put in the filler hose. In 53 ****** write-up, that is referenced above, I think he has the return from the AD 150 going into the canister also. So you would need another fitting to do this also. Maybe a draw straw 2.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by turbomike
I think you will still have the return line from the engine/VP44.
Yes the return line stays connected to the vp44. I was referring to the Airdog return, it returns to the filler neck. I wasn't clear on that & after reading it again, I probably confused him. I still have the factory vp44 return hooked up, it was the suction line that went to the factory lift pump which I plugged off. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
Guys who get the wierd readings & lose fuel pressure at 1/4 tank is because the straw wasn't installed properly. I run my truck to red & well into it a few times with no problems at all. Alot of guys don't take it into consideration that the tank is plastic & it will flex with a full tank of fuel. You gotta make sure that the straw touches the bottom of the tank & don't cut it at too much angle. I just cut a slight angle around 22* or so.
well I dont know what to think...I cut my straw perfect (or so I thought)..it was 1/16th on the bottom I did not cut a big angle in it..mine was almost flat.
soon as my truck hit 1/4 tank I would start to get 0 psi readings...my truck never stumbled or died but the 0 psi readings where driving me nuts!!
lots of guys say it is cause of a faulty install but I dont think that is the case with mine...I left the tank installed.
do you have a FP gauge to see what your readings are doing??
I was under the impression that the vulcan double drawstraw would mount in the spot I pointed to in the pic below??..if it does you could run the engine return and the AD return to the canister.
a full tank of fuel has nothing to do with it IMHO..the 1/4 tank thing happens with 1/4 tank of fuel not a full tank and if a full tank makes the tank sag then by the time you get to a 1/4 tank the tank is not saging any more..the trick is not installing the drawstraw with the jack under the tank..thats what will push the bottom up and cause you to run out of fuel early....
I just want to say this again..my truck NEVER died or stumbled..I just got crazy readings.

I just dont see how anybody can avoid have erratic FP readings with just a drawstraw cut into the tank...you can never stop the fuel from sloshing back and forth in the tank and if it sloshes to the front then and your drawstarw is in the back or middle you are going to suck air and get a erratic FP reading.

FWIW my mega cab tank only has 1 flat spot to mount a drawstraw and it is on the front side of the canister...there is no way to mount the pick up on the back half of the tank..witch to me mounting it on the back may help while going up hill but will hurt you just the same going down hill.

so my question to the guys who dont have any trouble is....do you have a fp gauge to verify solid fp readings??
Attached Thumbnails Airdog 150 and Vulcan Draw Straw: Can it be done, and if so, how?-airdog018.jpg  
Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
do you have a FP gauge to see what your readings are doing??
I was under the impression that the vulcan double drawstraw would mount in the spot I pointed to in the pic below??..if it does you could run the engine return and the AD return to the canister.
a full tank of fuel has nothing to do with it IMHO..the 1/4 tank thing happens with 1/4 tank of fuel not a full tank and if a full tank makes the tank sag then by the time you get to a 1/4 tank the tank is not saging any more

so my question to the guys who dont have any trouble is....do you have a fp gauge to verify solid fp readings??
I thought you were meaning that you are running out at 1/4 tank. Sorry. I have 2 gauges, a mechanical which holds steady at 16idle 14wot. This is due to my isolator on my gauge. My Pulse monitor for my Adrenaline does bounce around quite a bit because it doesn't have a isolator. I don't know why I said "full tank of fuel" Sounds dumb. I meant that most people drain their tank to remove it & don't take into consideration that it is sitting on the ground & that when the tank has fuel in it that it will flex some. When you have 1/4 tank the pressure in the tank is also making it flex which can add to the drama. I'm not saying that you are having this problem, just clarifying my post. Sorry for the misunderstanding.