Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air Horns..What's the standard, and what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Horns..What's the standard, and what do I need?

I've got copious amounts of room now behind the new bumper and would like to add a set of air horns. Is there a "standard" set that everyone uses? Also, what other equipment will I need, and can I get everything as a kit?

-Tom-
Old 09-29-2003, 09:23 AM

Re:Air Horns..What's the standard, and what do I need?

One other question..Do you run them off the horn circuit, or are they on a seperate circuit?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 AM

Commatoze,
At a minimum, you will need an air tank and a solenoid and a cab mounted switch for the solenoid (unless you want to wire it to the existing horn circuit). A lot of people use the "Hadley" brand of air horns. A friend of mine installed a set of "twins" (don't know what brand) on his 350 P/S. He has a Viair compressor, an air tank and the 12Vdc solenoid. You want to minimize the line length from the solenoid to the horns. The hose from the tank to the "in" side of the solenoid can be long, but use a decent diameter tubing. You can run with just an air tank that you fill up from a compressor if you do not want the expense of an onboard compressor at this time. Ebay had some nice Viair 450c (100 duty cycle./150 psi) units for about $200 (new). I can ask him what diameter tubing he uses from the solenoid to the horns, at first he had much too small of a diameter and the horns didn't sound right.

~Rob
Old 09-29-2003, 09:43 AM

Commatoze,
Check with the local constabulatory/inspection folks about running the air horns off of the existing horn circuit. If they were mine, I would have them on their own switch.

(For Texas Folks, this is from the Texas State Statutes:
§ 547.501. Audible Warning Devices
(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 200 feet.
(b) A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:
(1) a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an ordinary warning signal; or
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.
(c) A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.
(d) A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

Item 2d sounds like it could be up to the discretion of the Law enforcement official making a stop)
Rob
Old 09-29-2003, 09:58 AM

I bought a hadley kit from Camping World. It's great. Comes with everything. I tapped right into the existing horn and put a separate switch in the cab to turn the air horns on/off. I have yet to turn them off, I like letting people know i'm there! Anyhow, the kit is $197.10 for members and here is a description and pic:

Description
Retain your RV's sleek profile, and still benefit from the increased safety of an air horn. Hadley's dual-horn Bully mounts beneath your hood to maintain your RV's aerodynamics. Bully features the exclusive Hadley sound chamber for reliability without loss of sound quality. Comes complete with hoses, fittings, solenoid activated 12V DC compressor and tank and detailed instructions. 24 1/2" and 27" length will accommodate almost any mounting preference. Black powder coat finish. USA.

Tony
Old 09-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy over on the TDR had an excellent write up of his installation, including pics and wiring diagrams.

I printed it out for future reference.

If you're a member, you can do a search, if not, it is probably 10 pages deep in the Product/accessories forum (I believe).
(I tried to find it, but couldn't, it might be in 24 valve:No Engine as well)

He had a switch for the compressor, so it would only run with ignition on, or anytime, switch to change from stock horn to air horns, so air horns wouldn't sound when locking doors, and he could be selective about when he used them.

When finances allow, I'm going to use some of that extra space under my bumper as well.

phox
Old 09-30-2003, 11:18 PM

[quote author=hotdram link=board=7;threadid=20299;start=0#msg190522 date=1064846589]
Commatoze,
Check with the local constabulatory/inspection folks about running the air horns off of the existing horn circuit. If they were mine, I would have them on their own switch.

(For Texas Folks, this is from the Texas State Statutes:
§ 547.501. Audible Warning Devices
(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 200 feet.
(b) A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:
(1) a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an ordinary warning signal; or
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.
(c) A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.
(d) A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

Item 2d sounds like it could be up to the discretion of the Law enforcement official making a stop)
Rob

[/quote]

Horns sold for highway have to pass federal loudness tests and generally any horn that you buy will not be too loud.

Now suggestion if you want loud... ;D YOu have two choices for loud horns. The first is to go to a fire department supply and purchase your horn(s) there, they are much louder. The other choice is to get real train switcher horns, they are small compact and will knock bugs off the windows of buildings you pass. I am putting both on mine when I get air. Have a deep long emergency horn and a pair of switcher horns. There are times when loud horns will save lives.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Commatoze:
As Phox mentioned tdr member "Sregorb" wrote up some very good install notes with diagrams. Here it is
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...p;pagenumber=1
I believe his setup included a switch that allowed it to be used off the stock horn circuit and seperate from the stock horn. Another good supplier of horns is Ricksons the 19.5" wheel and tire company. They have complete sets. Seems the two biggest names you hear about are Hadleys and Grovers. Now might also be a good time to decide if you want on board air. If so you can buy a better compressor and larger tank for that and use it to power the horns as well and then for the horns all you will need is the solenoid, wiring and the horns.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:16 AM

I had a set of roof-mounted Hadley's on my old F350. Had the switch to cut them in and out of the regular horn circuit.

Been thinking about putting a set on this truck too. Sure would like a horn like the ones AMTRAK uses.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 AM

Hey! Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. That's the next project after I get my front Mag-Hytec diff cover to stop puking oil. Grover's or Hadley's seem to be the choice. Wondering how they'd look mounted on top of the cap instead of behind the bumper? Hokey?
Old 10-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=7;threadid=20299;start=0#msg191310 date=1065014869]
Hey! Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. That's the next project after I get my front Mag-Hytec diff cover to stop puking oil. Grover's or Hadley's seem to be the choice. Wondering how they'd look mounted on top of the cap instead of behind the bumper? Hokey?
[/quote]

A guy down the street with an older Ford has a pair mounted on his roof.
One on each side.
I think they look hokey.
I think the element of surprise is a good thing.

phox
Old 10-01-2003, 08:06 PM

You could probably mount a short pair of chrome horns on the roof and not look too far out of place. I have a pair that I mounted on a Ford Lousville hood that look good. Truck junk yard is also a source. The long horns would look terrible on the roof in my opinion. But that is your choice.