Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air horns

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Air horns

Gentlemen,

Your help is required. I've just aquired an air horn and tank off a big rig and can't seem to find a place to locate the horn. The horn is 24" in length with a 6" bell and the tank is 8.5" in diameter by 30" long. I would like to keep the horn intsallation as stealth as possible. I've already done a search on here for pictures and their aren't a whole bunch. If anybody could provide any ideas and or pictures of your installation it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to scare the local blue hairs.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Will the tank fit under the cab beside the frame? I think I'd mount the air horns under the battery, or maybe between the bumper and frame.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Behind the bumper crossways is one way. I mounted my tank to the cab under the doors on the outside of the frame. It looks fine and is easy to get to for an air chuck and draining.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Banned

look in m7y gallery for horn, tank, and compressor locations, I know I have a newer truck but the undersides should still offer the same locations. You can't tell from my pics but the horn is mouted with npt threaded pipe through an existing hole in the frame with a coupler fitting acting as the tightening agent and a spot to thread the hose fitting onto.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mikmaze...how does the horn location affect the blast ??

I'm lookin to do this too, as my stock horns, well, lets say I can probably fart louder.

My neighbor drives dump trucks and works at a big rig shop, and he said he can get me some horns. He can even get me some over the road ones...the ones you can get a ticket for using in a residential area.

I had been wondering how to mount them up, and now I have some decent ideas.

I'd think the horn being under the truck liek that would kinda muffle the sound somewhat.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned

muffle??? you're kidding right? ever notice that no matter where the tracks are from where you are you can hear that train a mile away? Well now they hear me a mile away! The bell on this horn does a great job at dispersing the sound , even tho it is facing forward and on the other side of the truck if I stand on the ground and reach in and pull the valve I can still feal it. If there was a better spot up under near the front I would have done it, but since this spot is hidden, protected, and the hole in the frame is factory I could not find a better spot. The horns you get might not be as hard to find a spot for as they will most likely be shorter, mine measures in near 32 inches in length.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
JAF

With the quad cab you should have lots of room Seriously, though, what about the front corner of the bed for the tank?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 AM

I have some pictures in my gallery of how I mounted mine. I also have that 24" Horn. If you don't have a plow frame another way is to use zip ties and mount it to the top of the air cleaner just behind the left side battery. Any time you need to perform any work just cut the zip ties and move it.
Air Horns rule!!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:34 PM

Here is what I did to my 98 gasser, too bad there is no room on the diesel.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How expensive are these setups? I'd like to have one compressor and two horns, one at the front and one at the back for tailgaters. Well, that and a sign I can turn on that says "back off, stupid!". Between the 6 million decibel horn and the sign, most of the would probably back off. Whaddya think?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Depends on the setup, my compressor and regulator switch was 215 shipped, the tank was another 100 bux, horn..... I don't remember, had it a while, just never hooked it up until now.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Mikemaze....it appears that you hung your tank where the spare usually resides is that correct? Also how secure are those I bolts and screw clamps? Any bouncing and swinging from the tank? Hows the compressor doing exposed to the elements (ie snow and salt). And lastly, what diameter hose did you use 3/8"?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

yes tank is where spare was, only good reason for it being there was quick measurement before I ordered only to find out it didn't fit where I had planned. haven't sorted spare's new location out yet, tank is very secure, no banging or clanging and if it starts I still have thread left to tighten some more to snug it up. Compressor sure looks sealed except for the air inlet and that has a remote locate kit waiting for a nice cool day to get it up and out of passable river depth. The hose is standard shop hose, 1/4 inch.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:06 PM

go to www.suicidedoors.com for some good parts and train horns i had them on my chevy s10 they conected to my air ride setup with nitrogen powering them hit the horn when one of your buddys is going to cross the railroad tracks very funny stuff
Old 08-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Air horns

Originally posted by dIlLiGaF
Gentlemen,

Your help is required. I've just aquired an air horn and tank off a big rig and can't seem to find a place to locate the horn. The horn is 24" in length with a 6" bell and the tank is 8.5" in diameter by 30" long. I would like to keep the horn intsallation as stealth as possible. I've already done a search on here for pictures and their aren't a whole bunch. If anybody could provide any ideas and or pictures of your installation it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to scare the local blue hairs.

Thanks
I have a Grover air horn, it's about 30" long and I have it installed under the cab under me between the frame rail and the body edge facing foreward.
At the present time I do not have a compressor installed so I am using a 20# Co2 cylinder and hi-flow regulator set at 150 psi.
It is controlled with a standard Grover lanyard valve. I also have a remote gauge to check my pressure.
A tank will usually last me 4 to 6 months of use and cost me $8.00 to refill.
If I am driving down the freeway at 75 MPH with the window up and I blow the horn, I can FEEL it as well as hear it and I have to be careful I don't have some car swerving into me.

I have pictues of the valve in my gallery.
Jim

Quick Reply: Air horns