Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder

The Uni's he's currently using are better then the AFE's he used to use.
(otherwise, why would he have switched?)

phox
Im assuming cost....and/or availability
Old 12-30-2004, 10:36 PM

I understand Scotty reasoning but the lab tests say the AFE is better on all of tests.. so that is where I'm scratching the head
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by greenworks
as long as he doesn't chime in on my head for bringing this up. after seeing the concrete ball he lifts for "fun" i might add, in reddeer, add I am a little scared.

Scotty ....... be gentle I am just enquiring
come on, it was only 450 lbs....
Old 12-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
After reading that report I am a little alarmed that the Scotty II I bought two months ago came with a uni filter when it looks like the previuos Pro gaurd-7 filter was better, or was I wrong in saying that the scotty used to come with a progaurd 7, I am positive it was at least a AFE. Scotty is probably on the prowl here somewhere and I remember him saying he had good Silicone levels in his tests, It would be good to hear his 2 cents.

The last test where the amount of pasted dirt where the uni placed LAST is a scary thing I guess I'll be ordering up a oil analysis when the dust picks up
I have read that 'lab test' a few times. The UNI I have in the Scotty Systems is two stage foam and totally different then a replacement panel filter.

aFe would not build a Pro Guard 7 for my intakes. I cannot comment on why but I think I know why...I am a direct competitor to their intakes. So they made theres unique with their Pro Guard...good marketing.

So I set out to have an alternative with the TWO STAGE UNI.

I am not fond of 'lab tests' and the variables that are encountered. Not one of those tests was conducted with the filter that goes into my kits, nor was it conducted on a Cummins engine. As I recall it was all done on a Duramax, correct?

At the risk of sounding a bit jaded...if in doubt, ask the folks at UNI or ask me. Then again, you will probably get a favorable result.

I have seen 'lab tests' of filters that showed a massive problem with other manufacturers filters.
I have had lots of experience with MANY kinds of filters. I started with K&N, then quality fell and they refused to sell to me direct anyway.
aFe is former folks from K&N, they made a real good product. I ran into several glitches with quality, supply, poor shipping and a mess in the accounting with Wildcat. Not all of this was their fault.

I don't always get to all of these threads...PM me if you don't see a response from me.

Mark, that 'lab' test' has been posted how many times now?

Also, perhaps you can believe me when I say that I would not be selling an inferior product as I could not do that. What would that net me? I have heard from several folks with oil analysis' now with the TWO STAGE UNI of excellent less then 5 PPM results.

There had also been reports of the Pro Guard letting dust by and that was an issue with the air box not fitting properly. Some defects are not always the filter.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM

There are a ton of variables when doing any test.....bottom line is you can't believe everything you read - even if its the result of a "lab test"
Old 12-31-2004, 05:59 PM

Thanks Scotty, nuff said
Old 12-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Thanks Scotty, nuff said
I'm sending you an unexpected gift in the form of a heavy round sphere...sometime next year.

Have a great New year and tell us how your intake performs.

by the way, that stone was part of a world record on World Strongman Cup. It got put up on a 50" stand after four other stones...the weights were the heaviest of ANY strongman comp ever. 345, 365, 380, 380 and 425!!!!

It will be airing on Sportsnet in about one week.

Scotty
Old 12-31-2004, 09:32 PM

Dr Evil,where did you get your heat guard/filter wrap.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scotty
[B]I'm sending you an unexpected gift in the form of a heavy round sphere...sometime next year.

I hope your not sending it canada post $$$$$ It still pains me to think how far that ford sank when you pushed it from your truck into the back of its box

Just for refrence to the weights you posted how heavy was the stone in RD?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by greenworks
[B]
Originally posted by Scotty
I'm sending you an unexpected gift in the form of a heavy round sphere...sometime next year.

I hope your not sending it canada post $$$$$ It still pains me to think how far that ford sank when you pushed it from your truck into the back of its box

Just for refrence to the weights you posted how heavy was the stone in RD?
That was the 425 pound stone. Theres a 500 going around in the USA as a challenge stone.

I am working on a sponsored challenge of a few super heavy implements with some prize money and record recgonition.

Canada post called, the mule collapsed.

Whoops off topic. Back to the 'lab tests'
Old 01-03-2005, 11:44 PM

Heat shield template

Originally posted by bishgeo
Dr Evil,where did you get your heat guard/filter wrap.
The template is right here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

I plan to modify it slightly and make it two pieces with a section of PVC pipe to hold the BHAF.