Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Torque converter

I was wondering if there is a aftermarket torque converter available that wouldnt have so much stall. The stock one that was in my truck before spun more power off then it ever hooked to the ground. I have looked at DTT's site but I just dont have that kinda cash to lay out. Is there somthing a little more reasonable without being cheap junk? I would like to spend around 400 tops.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:40 PM

Re:Aftermarket Torque converter

Your sig says "stock for now". You plan on turning up the power? Take that $400 you have now, put it in a jar (or the bank), label that jar "tranny fund", and start saving your money... ;D
Old 08-23-2003, 02:18 PM

I do not have any plans to really pump the power up. I have added a KN filter and plan on a free flow exhaust. Thats about it. The torque converter is needed soon as my new tranny is sitting on the floor ready to go in. I would have a rebuilt converter with it from AAmco, but before I bought just another stall Con. I thought I would see if I can upgrade a bit.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:24 PM

Take a look at Jannetty Racing he has a Pro Torque converter it is more than 400 but i havent found anything for less.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Mark K of NorthWest Bombers selected a XFM model from:

http://www.hughesperformance.com/xtm.html

$359 for a first gen / no TC clutch version.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:47 PM

Call Dave Goerend w/ Goerend Brothers Transmissions
(563) 778 - 2719

Hes a nice guy to deal with, and I think it will be along the lines of what your after since you don't want to pay for the others. Not sure of his exact prices but I am pretty hes cheaper then then the "known" tranny builders. If you swap only the torque converter hope you have some funds saved for the tranny ....................... At the very least add a shift kit with a TC.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:44 AM

what is a shift kit? This like a modified valve body or somthing? I like almost everyone would like my tranny to last awhile so I am open to suggestions. I do not tow much more then a 2 horse trailer, so I dont think I am am being to brutal to it. I have added larger tires so that may make more of a impact. I am new to the whole diesel thing, and I have to wonder how strong is this tranny in the first place?

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2003, 08:37 AM

U got a 93 so don't hold me to this I have an 02 but here goes. When you put a shift kit in your truck probably a trans-go it ups the line pressure and causes the truck to shift harder into gears. I could never get mine to work for my HP level for more then 1/2 year so I have a DTT now and I am very happy. The new trans DTT hasn't skipped a beat since I got it and hasn't changed either mose local shops will build one and 3 months later its starting to slip not mine this time!
Old 08-24-2003, 04:57 PM

Well, I was checking out that hughes converter. Seems like a nice add, but anyone have any real world drive time with one? The price is right, I just have a problem with throwing cash at unproven parts and you all are the proving grounds. Let me here it! Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:42 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

My choice is in my sig.... no regrets.
Generally though a shift kit will increase line pressures a bit to help reduce/eliminate slippage on each shift. The lower stall convertor will start to work and transfer power much lower in the RPM range so you'll need the ability to HOLD that power. At lower RPM the pressures generated in the tranny are not up to full pressure soon enough. That is were the shift kit comes in. Some have had good results, others have mixed results. If you have a new/rebuilt tranny, now is the time to tweak the pressures a bit. The seals are fresh, the surfaces are 'true' and you'll benefit from the pressure tweaks.
Now, even though you're using a traditional "rebuilt" tranny I'd strongly recommend you call one of the 'names' and ask some advice.
You can have your rebuilt trannies' pressure tweaked a bit so that it is in the "upper range" of the acceptable limits for your tranny. That will improve your shift speed, firmness and, reduce slippage that a low stall may produce for you.

If you use a synthetic oil you'll smooth the shift feel. Doing that is the result of the synthetic oil allowing a bit of slippage at the shift cycle. Using a non-synthetic like Dexron Mercron or "true type F" will firm up the shift and make it more "positive". The latter oil has less friction modifiers in it and tends to reduce slippage making for a more "snappy" shift quality.

Pastor Bob.
Our Lady Of Acceleration Church... ;D