Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Speakers?

So, I'm ready to upgrade to something with a bit more "High Fidelity" than the OEM set up (non-Infinity system - the factory head unit w/ 5-level equalizer, front door+pillar tweeter, std. rear speakers and 6-disk CD changer), but Crutchfield indicates that they've nothing in their inventory that will fit in the front doors; I perfer the Sony or Infinity speakers, anybody know what will fit? What is the mounting depth limit for the front doors for this truck ('99 2500 Quad Cab)? How about the rear speakers?
Old 05-15-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure what setup you have, but I have the bare bones cassette radio w/o infinity.

The front door speakers are regular 6x9s. The depth limits should be on Crustchfield's site. You can always go to a top mount instead of a bottom mount if you want to mount deeper drivers.

The rears should be standard 6.5s.

For speakers, I would discourage the infinity and Sony brands. You can get a LOT better for not much more money. I would encourage you to check into brands like Eclipse, JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, and MB Quart. The MB Quarts are probably the best at any price. Fantastic tweeters.

Justin
Old 05-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Chapter President

Thx for the reply; I couldn't find the actual depth on the Crutchfield site (and quit looking after I couldn't get any fit info, after the "nothing fits" from them);

I've had GREAT luck with Infinity speakers.... but I'll check out your suggestions, you can NEVER get your music too loud or too clear!
Old 05-16-2004, 04:58 PM

The fronts are 6x9 and the rears are 5 1/4- I put Alpine type R speakers in mine. Had to shim the fronts a bit as there isn't much depth in the door. JL Audio 300/4 running the speakers and a JL 500/1 monoblock to the subs. Go to a stereo shop and talk to the installer, they can tell you what will fit. Crutchfield...
Old 05-16-2004, 06:11 PM

pretty much any 6 1/2 inch compnent set mounted to a 6x9 wood baffle will fit in the front doors

rear doors a pair of 6 1/2" speakers is pretty much a direct bolt in, you just need to drill new mounting holes

Focal plykevlar 6.5's or Jl audi XR series comps are both nice (infinity perfects are OK too) ...............

I just picked up some Macrom EXT series comps ( www.macrom.ch ) can't say I've been happier with a set of speakers, they sound just as good as my buddies Focal Utopia's but run a bit cheaper

I suggest you hit as many local shops as you can, tell em what you want and how much you're willing to spend and listen to as many pairs of speakers as you can, then pick something you like
Old 05-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned

Buy a componet system they have built in crossover blocks thatll mount inside your door pannels itll replace the lil' tweeter and your door speaker and with the cross over itll only send the feq. to those speakers that they can handle and itll sound great if you dont do this your chance for distortion is really high cause those lit' speeker cant play the BUMP. about $400 can get you a good set now for your back speakers do not get tweeters get woofers for the lows if you get good ones you can throw alittle power to them to really make them stand out
Old 05-17-2004, 07:28 AM

I just switched to Focal over JL for my compnents. Sound is definately better if you can find Focal stuff around its the shiznit peroid I have had tested and heard just about everything on the market and I can't find anything that beats Focal right now. JL is coming out with a new line in the next few months but aren't available yet and we got a chance to hear them at a recent show and were not as impressed as they were.

These are what I run and they are pretty much out of this world for performance.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:45 AM

Crossovers are always a great idea. IMHO, even a modest component system will sound better than most coaxials.

I've been out of the game for a while. Last system I built had Rockford Amps, an EQT and EQX FOR EACH CHANNEL, 2 JL audio 12W4s in a custom box, and 4 MB Quart separates. Also had a Jacobs Accuvolt running the whole thing.

A pretty decent, balanced system that did respectable dB (131) for just 2 12s. It wasn't mega-high end by todays standards, but back in the mid 90s, it was pretty impressive.

Justin
Old 05-17-2004, 07:47 AM

As a side note; As door profiles get thinner, conventional loudspeaker designs are becoming more difficult to use. What we've developed at my little place of business are a line of specialized loudspeakers that have the magnet in front of the cone, instead of the rear. This eliminates the rear frame that adds depth to a conventional design. Additionally, we employ extremely "strong field" neodymium magnets instead of conventional alnico. This allows us to reduce the size and weight the magnet assembly. Using these methods, we've been able to reduce the thickness of a 12" woofer to a little under 4 inches. Alas, they're used for OEM purposes only and aren't available for aftermarket. Doesn't answer your question, but I thought you'd find it interesting.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:27 PM

Neodymium and strontium make for good magnets in small packages.

I've seen the inverse-cone drivers before.

Justin