Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turns out we had a weak wastegate actuator. Had him pinch off the line going to the wastegate and he got 28psi right away. He did have the bleed elbow in it from his comp box.
His new Super B turbo will take care of those temperature issues for good.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just love all the BEEDEE hype and sale pitch. keep your stocker. check to see if your radiator is clogged with crap due to the overflow bottle/oil etc. this can raise temps. you should not have those temps with that ammount of boost being made. check your whole air path for leaks or cut boots. usuallly the bottoms from the fender lip rubbing them. if your leak was that bad you should hear it. hows your filter is it clean enough. last time cleaned. what's your elevation this can be a big factor also. my only experience long time ago before I have what I have now with jammers were they may have gave me alittle more power. but they were not smooth and my temps did raise alittle. keep your stock intercooler
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
Just love all the BEEDEE hype and sale pitch. keep your stocker. check to see if your radiator is clogged with crap due to the overflow bottle/oil etc. this can raise temps. you should not have those temps with that ammount of boost being made. check your whole air path for leaks or cut boots. usuallly the bottoms from the fender lip rubbing them. if your leak was that bad you should hear it. hows your filter is it clean enough. last time cleaned. what's your elevation this can be a big factor also. my only experience long time ago before I have what I have now with jammers were they may have gave me alittle more power. but they were not smooth and my temps did raise alittle. keep your stock intercooler

Boost before blocking wastegate 22psi exhaust gas temps high.
Boost after pinching wastegate actuator 28psi exhaust gas temps lower.
Am I missing something?????

Nothing mentioned about coolant temps.

His wastegate actuator was opening prematurely. They wear out. Reading through the whole thread we checked boost leaks. There was no pitch. I tried to help him. He called me and we figured it out. Then asked about a turbo upgrade to help with temps and he bought one. I didn't try to sell him something he didn't need.

Coolant temps weren't the issue he was having. It was exhaust gas temps. It is definately nice to see people trying to help others from buying things they didn't need. If you read back to most of my posts into threads it is to help people.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Coolant temps have never been an issue. Cept when the puke bottle over filled with gunk and got into the radiator, but that was many many miles ago. Have been thinking about upgrade on the turbo anyways and this finally gave me a good reason to do it, along with the fact that a couple of local diesel shops in my area recommended the same turbo, and, there are couple of threads on this website that seem to like that turbo, and it fit my needs, I went that route.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
Boost before blocking wastegate 22psi exhaust gas temps high.
Boost after pinching wastegate actuator 28psi exhaust gas temps lower.
Am I missing something?????

Nothing mentioned about coolant temps.

His wastegate actuator was opening prematurely. They wear out. Reading through the whole thread we checked boost leaks. There was no pitch. I tried to help him. He called me and we figured it out. Then asked about a turbo upgrade to help with temps and he bought one. I didn't try to sell him something he didn't need.

Coolant temps weren't the issue he was having. It was exhaust gas temps. It is definately nice to see people trying to help others from buying things they didn't need. If you read back to most of my posts into threads it is to help people.

since my first response was deleted by the editor. so I will be I guess less to the point and nice. I know the talk was of intercoolers. my advice was thrown out there along the lines as well as the air path and threw in the comment on temp heat on coolant. alot of people that do tow alot and dont know the whole puke bottle issue. my comment is this I have tried personally bd turbos and I have blown them. intercoolers my advice is keep the stock one untill it blows. and then pending your needs and mods do a oem or upgrade then. I do not sponsor anyone or belong to any shop or name of a company. I have found through all of my vehicles and builds HTT turbos to suite my power and towing needs without issues. good luck with your bd turbo I hope it works for you and you dont experience the same problem I have had. all good.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Well this may be a complete shock to everybody but I did notice a difference when I changed mine. Lowered cruise EGT's by 50-75 deg. increased peak boost by a couple psi. Havn't towed with it yet. It is alot of money, but if you have a hot truck, lot's of fuel, not much air it might help you, it helped me.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Ditto!
My factory CAC had bad leaks.
So I bgt a Haisley 100 psi unit... It's very nice..... but really did little, if anything for performance ....
Even at 65 psi boost...really no serious advantage. RJ
I do remember drop in EGT's, about what is mentioned by 'busa'. Also, the minor increase in boost pressure, indicating denser (cooler) air charge for the same amount of work from the turbo.
But, shortly after getting my fancy CAC, I spent an hour comparing EGT's with an 01 with identical HP to me. He had HX-35/S400 twins and factory Intercooler. we both pulled 65 psi boost. I left H2O/Meth off.
We did runs at WOT from 60 to 100 mph. His egt's were similar to mine, actually better on a few runs.
I was surprised and impressed (that's when I stopped knocking the factory turbo as top turbo on twins).
This was not a totally scientific test, but was good enough for me.

RJ
Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Funny all the negative reviews about going with an aftermarket intercooler. I have talked with HTT on the phone about doing a hybrid turbo setup since I am not willing to go away from my exhaust brake because I mainly use my truck for towing- they actually told me to leave my turbo stock and get an aftermarket intercooler. I have to say I respect that advice, a turbo guy telling me to leave my turbo stock and reduce egt's by getting an aftermarket intercooler. I can't say I'm willing to spend the money on an aftermarket intercooler but I would love to experiment with one in a towing application.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ellerman
Funny all the negative reviews about going with an aftermarket intercooler. I have talked with HTT on the phone about doing a hybrid turbo setup since I am not willing to go away from my exhaust brake because I mainly use my truck for towing- they actually told me to leave my turbo stock and get an aftermarket intercooler. I have to say I respect that advice, a turbo guy telling me to leave my turbo stock and reduce egt's by getting an aftermarket intercooler. I can't say I'm willing to spend the money on an aftermarket intercooler but I would love to experiment with one in a towing application.
Thats the main reason I purchased mine. I tow a holiday trailer in the summer so we will have to wait and see.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
The Guru

I run a spearco intercooler, I dropped my egt and gained boost because I had a hole in my intercooler. I needed to buy a new intercooler, and the spearco was slightly more money.\

I do find that the truck spools the turbo-up under high boost conditions like 50+psi than the stocker. Its more of a flow restriction.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Update, got the Super B installed and am convinced it was the right thing to do. I needed more than a 100+/- degrees worth of help that a new intercooler may have provided. Now I can floor it up the mountians with 15k hooked up and use all the power the truck can provide and not worry about melting something. As mentioned numerous times on this wonderful website before "DTR costs me too much money" but for now I am finally happy with this truck. Thanks to Pat at BD for all the help.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Mule Skinner
Update, got the Super B installed and am convinced it was the right thing to do. I needed more than a 100+/- degrees worth of help that a new intercooler may have provided. Now I can floor it up the mountians with 15k hooked up and use all the power the truck can provide and not worry about melting something. As mentioned numerous times on this wonderful website before "DTR costs me too much money" but for now I am finally happy with this truck. Thanks to Pat at BD for all the help.

You are welcome. Glad we got that truck setup to be able to use that power now. Next time I am down that way you will have to take me out on one of your mule treks...
Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 AM

So wait.. What was the upgade you did Mule Skinner?
I get that the actuator was failing and opening early.. was it just that, that was replaced to make it all good?
Or hole new spinny toy for ya?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 AM

Junked the stocker and the small diameter Jacobs and installed new Super B and remote mount BD e-brake

"Next time I am down that way you will have to take me out on one of your mule treks... " Cant beat getting on a mule and heading out into the world of no phones, no 2 way radios, no tv, no computers, and no blackberry. I just spent 7 days on a pack trip and have not finished cleaning up and am already itching to go out again. I need to figure out how to retire. 50 years old and had it with this high stress management stuff.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by DodgenIt
So wait.. What was the upgade you did Mule Skinner?
I get that the actuator was failing and opening early.. was it just that, that was replaced to make it all good?
Or hole new spinny toy for ya?
The actuator was opening early on his truck. Once he pinched off the actuator it made more boost, but was still having egt problems. He decided to upgrade his turbo and now doesnt have any egt issues any more.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intercoolers