Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Intercoolers

Do they really help much with lowering EGT numbers as the marketing hype from a couple of the manufacturers claim? Any one have any first hand experience with good or bad results to lower EGT numbers from a new cooler?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner
Do they really help much with lowering EGT numbers as the marketing hype from a couple of the manufacturers claim? Any one have any first hand experience with good or bad results to lower EGT numbers from a new cooler?

Any time you can get a cooler denser charge of air into the engine it is going to help. Depending on what turbo you are running and how much fueling you have you should see drops of at least 100deg. There are some that see more too depending on how much boost you are making. Typically the more boost you make, the bigger the egt drop.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM

In my experience, for the money if your stock one isn't leaking keep your stock intercooler.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
In my experience, for the money if your stock one isn't leaking keep your stock intercooler.
Ding! We have a winner.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Ditto!
My factory CAC had bad leaks.
So I bgt a Haisley 100 psi unit.(back when they were a lot less than now). It's very nice..... but really did little, if anything for performance, as far as I can tell.
Even at 65 psi boost...really no serious advantage. Definately nothing to justify after market at todays prices. Would not do it again.
Lots of guys are running 60-70 psi with fctory units and no leaks, even though they are only certified to 30 or 35 psi!

RJ
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 PM

untill your oem breaks and cant be fixed. stick with stocker. money can be spent other places.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I completely agree with everyone else,
I had a accident about a year ago and the stocker was on national back order for a while. The insurance company was willing to pay the price for a new stocker ($850) and I got tired of waiting, so i coughed up the difference for a spearco. IMO its really not worth it, if I had the chance to do it over again I would of bought a good used unit and spent the money else where as stated above.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 AM

I kinda figured that the factory was perfectly acceptable, just searching for the right solution on egt issues. I am finding it hard to believe that stage 1 injectors and comp w/out wire are sending my guage into the red zone as quickly as it does. Anyways, thanks for the comments.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM

... I am finding it hard to believe that stage 1 injectors and comp w/out wire are sending my guage into the red zone as quickly as it does.
Agree....should not be happening at all, unless your talking about when towing, or in the mountains?
Whose injectors?

RJ
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Jammer inectors, I can get to the red zone with empty truck just by pushing a little to get on the freeway
Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM

It's been a long time, but when I had DD2 injectors and an Egde EZ, I don't ever recall getting into the red.
And that was with the smaller HY-35 turbo!
How much boost are you seeing at WOT?

RJ
Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM
DTR Advertiser

An aftermarket intercooler is by no means the first upgrade that should be done. And in most cases a factory one will suffice. But in a truck that is making 40+ psi of boost you can see as much as a 10psi drop from the inlet to the outlet of the intercooler. That is 10lbs of boost you are losing in the intercooler. Also you can see a drop of around 200deg in the charge air temps. The cooler the air is, the denser it is. The denser air is the more you get into the engine. The more air in, the cooler and more efficient your engine runs.

Seat of the pants it might not feel like much of a gain, but you most likely will be able to stay on the throttle longer with an aftermarket intercooler than you would with a stock one. Like I said it is not for everyone, but there is definitely a benefit to them.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Boost is anly about 21-22 lbs
Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
DTR Advertiser

Boost is anly about 21-22 lbs
If that is all the boost you can build, I would be looking for an exhaust or boost leak somewhere. Being low on boost can definitely lead to higher egt issues. Check the exhaust manifold first for leaks. That is usually the culprit.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Boost is only about 21-22 lbs
I'm guessing you have no boost elbow or MBC (manual boost controller)? If not...that is your problem!

RJ

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intercoolers