Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket injector pump????

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket injector pump????

I'm posting this for a buddy. So a little background first.

He has a '00 24v with the auto trans. It has about 90k on the clock and has gone through 4 injector pumps SO FAR. He was talking to a mechanic friend at the Dodge dealer and he told him to sell that badboy before the warranty runs out at 100k, due to the injector pumps. The mechanic told him that the 24v injector pumps are total garbage and constantly fail.

He wants to keep the truck, but is now really questioning what to do. So, my question to the collective is..... Is there a low cost/easy aftermarket replacement option for the injector pump?

Thanks to all.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 PM

4 injection pumps , wow. Here's a link to a thread where the guy was having the same problem you are having (however some of his probs were caused by BOMB's).

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=36936

Seems the only way to rid yourself forever of VP44 problems is the P-pump conversion which is very very expensive.

They ain't total junk though, many people go far over 100000 on the original. I have 64K on mine and its still OK........so far that is .

Good luck, im sure other people with a lil more experience with bad pumps will chime in

Jeff
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 PM

There is a reason why they are failing on his truck, and we need to find out that reason.

The VP44's are known to fail, but as often as that, and definatly not enough to warrent getting rid of the truck.

What is his Fuel pressure? What injectors? Chip? Who has installed the pumps? What fuel does he use? Is he using new pumps? Remaned? Are they 027 pumps?

Lots of reasons for failed injection pumps.

Lets get some data first so we can try to diagnose what his problem may be.

Merrick
Old 01-21-2004, 05:17 PM

Don't know about the fuel pressure. The truck is a total stocker, using #2 pump fuel.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Yamadad
Don't know about the fuel pressure.
Needs a quick check.

Probably has a dieing pump.

How often does he change Fuel Filters?

Merrick
Old 01-21-2004, 05:54 PM

Dieing or dead pump or pumps are/is the problem. Everything he has done is all done at the dealer under warranty. So whatever is normal under warranty work, is what Dodge has done. Our dealer here in town is very good, but they don't do aftermarket stuff. Hence, my questions. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Banned

How much fuel pressure is he getting at the inlet of the injection pump? Is he still on his stock LIFT pump? The lift pump and injection pump are two totally different monsters.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Again, fuel pressure is unknown. (The truck is totally stock, with no gauges) And, yes, the lift pump is stock and original. All of the work so far has been done at the dealer under warranty, so I don't think they go too far in diagnostic work. I think they just unbolt, bolt on, and go.

My friend is not too mechanically inclined and has almost no tools, and not very internet savvy. That's why I'm doing this for him.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:23 PM

Oh, and as a side note. Dodge has spent more on warranty claims than he paid for the truck originally. Despite this he still loves the truck.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Banned

Have them check the fuel pressure on the lift pump. Anything less than 8 psi at WOT is bad. I have a strong feeling that the pump is completely dead.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:37 PM

I think a trip to a reputable diesel mechanic is in order. Just cause the dealer is doing the work, doesn't necessarily mean that all the bases have been properly covered. They do what is needed to fix the perceived problem at hand.

I had a very similar experience with my first diesel and the dealer took care of everything but the root cause, and one trip to Cummins themselves made my diesel happy. Not to mention me!

Not trying to dealer bash by any means, but Merrick is right on. Something else is not right......

Matt
Old 01-21-2004, 08:58 PM

Wow, 4 injector pumps, and they never checked or changed the lift pump? I'm with BigBlue, I bet the lift pump is dead. Probably been dead for a long while. Sounds like the dealership doesn't deal with many diesels. Have him take it in and get them to check the pressure.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Yamadad
Oh, and as a side note. Dodge has spent more on warranty claims than he paid for the truck originally.
Dodge way overrates the $ it takes to R&R an injection pump.
When I had my pump go out, the dealer replaced it under my then applicable warrenty, and they Billed Dodge somewhere around $6,000.

Maybe somebody else can check his fuel pressure. It's not too hard. Just a 0-15 Gauge, a grease hose, and some fittings. You have to undo one bolt on top of your fuel filter, screw in the grease gun hose, and then attach your 15Lb gauge on that. No need to bleed air.

Merrick
Old 01-22-2004, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I talked to my buddy again and I guess Dodge has replaced the lift pump twice also. He just never communicated that to me.

BTW, he said Dodge got billed $4k for each injector pump. FWIW.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Banned

Ouch. I know they are expensive, but they aren't that expensive.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket injector pump????