Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

aftermarket cold air intake, good or bad???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevysucksgas I wouldn't sell your intake for a paper type BHAF,
I run a K&N that resembles the BHAF, never had any problems with it, or would ever trade it for a BHAF paper type filter. Some people say that the drop in type K&N's let oil into the turbo and dirt and such, but the style that I have I have never had a problems with ever. Plus I have a precharger on mine (outerwares). Heres what I run its 4" clamp, 7" round by 9" long
> http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RD-1460 <.
Tim.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottl
chevysucksgas I wouldn't sell your intake for a paper type BHAF,
I run a K&N that resembles the BHAF, never had any problems with it, or would ever trade it for a BHAF paper type filter. Some people say that the drop in type K&N's let oil into the turbo and dirt and such, but the style that I have I have never had a problems with ever. Plus I have a precharger on mine (outerwares). Heres what I run its 4" clamp, 7" round by 9" long
> http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RD-1460 <.
Tim.
You might want to inspect you compressor on your turbo... I found this tidbit over on another thread here...

Originally Posted by Northslope
ran a K&N cone for a little more than a year and when I changed my compressor today you should have seen the black carmalized gooey crap in the compressor and on the back plate. The only thing that comes to mind is excess K&N oil. My brother got...DIESEL? had the same build up only thicker. Nasty stuff it is, looks like black melted plastic. I will be using an AEM Dryflow shortly.
At least with a paper element BHAF you throw the dirt away in the trash... You don't take the chance of over oiling the filter or getting dirt on the inside of the element during washing. So far my turbo is clean no dust or dirt on the compressor fins since I changed over to a paper BHAF from stock.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K/N = junk = IMHO.

I found the same black crusty stuff too and a crack on one of the compresser fins ( just more $), what should I expect with the miles I have. Sending it to High Tech Turbo for a rebuild since my truck is down anyway.

I am going to BHAF w/ outer wears. We have some scrap aluminum from some custom signs I had made for me here at the college so I am going to make the heat shield. Actually 2 (for me and my brother). Found some stainless to make my dad one too. I love free stuff and the metal shop has a nice big brake.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
You might want to inspect you compressor on your turbo... I found this tidbit over on another thread here...
I have checked many times anticipating to find oil or dirt on the turbo fins since so many people claim to have, and have yet to find a thing, perfectly satisfied with the K&N, I know a lot of people hate them but mine works great. Tim.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:09 PM

what part of the turbo is the compressor if you let me know i'll check it out and see what i think?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:15 PM

I dont buy the test report and There are Trade-offs for any filter

I know everyone has an opinion and some type of evidence to support their opinion. But the test provided by the individual SPICER, seems very much to be bias. It seems obvious to me that it is skewed towards ACDELCO. First the report says the ACDELCO air filter filters the most - hence has the most restriction. Then it says it has the least amount of restriction. I can believe that a filter can either be the best at filtration or the best at flow, but not both. What everyone tries to do is get the best balance of air flow and filtration for their specific needs and/or desires. A K&N air filter can be great for air flow, but you may lose some amount of filtration. A paper filter maybe great for filtration, but you sacrifice airflow. This is why the BHAF filters are so very big, those who prefer the BHAF have to use a much larger filter to get more surface space to compensate for the loss of air flow. Seems like it might be the best of both worlds. However, there is a cost issue with that filter. And I dont know that it does achieve the same high rate of airflow as the K&N style filters. I am considering all reuseable cotton filters to be for the most part, the same. THIS IS WHERE THE AFE GUYS JUMP IN AND SAY THERES ARE BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE LAYERS, BUT THEN CLAIM TO HAVE EVEN BETTER AIR FLOW AND WILL SHOW YOU SOME TEST THAT SUPPORTS THEIR CLAIMS. My opinion is this, I have used the K&N in my 12 valve, my wife's durango, my wife's Polaris Scrambler and have not had any problems. Is there a filtration difference, yes, I believe so. Is it detrimental to the life of my motor or my turbo, i dont believe so. I have almost 150k miles on my truck, 100k on wife's durango, and the 97 scrambler, I guarantee, sees more dust and dirt than anyones truck out there, and still runs. no prefilter on it, but there are prefilters on the ram and durango. My buddy has a 97 12 valve, the other day he told me that I was nuts because I have a homemade cold air K&N filter system, He told me that he hears people have problems with them. I asked him why he has a stock box with a K&N then, and has had that for over 130k miles. He scratched his head because he got so caught up in the moment that he forgot he has a K&N filter in his truck. Feeling stupid, he said, well ya but mine is still in the stock box so its better. There ya go, what you have will be better than the next guy. THIS WAS WAY TOO LONG.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 PM

heres my .02 cents

I race oval track asphlat cars. I use K&N air filters. The reason behind this(other than airflow) is because in the pit area at one of the tracks, its mainly gravel. And it gets extremely dusty when its dry out. I tried paper filters but they would get dirty in one night. Also if they get wet their junk. With the K&N I just have to clean it prolly 3-4 times a season. Also since its oiled you dont have to worry about water as much.
These engines get torn down alot, freshened or inspected or whatever. Never have any evidence of anything other than clean air going into the engine. Remember we have oil dry particules and dust, and rubber particules, along with whatever else is in the air. No problems ever.
That being said I have a K&N drop in in my CTD. I'm not worried about it, but when it comes time for a better intake, I will go with a BHAF for cost purposes only.
I guess it really depends on what you feel comfortable with. Bret
Old 01-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Sorry man - Im not trash talking - just trying to HELP you out. This isnt just my opinion. There are MANY people here that wont run a K&N, conversley, there are people that do run them.
FWIW- The PSD I sold to buy my Cummins has a few chips in the turbo vanes... A few days after I bought it I put a BHAF on it, and chumked the K&N, the air box and intake tube were full of dust.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 AM

K&N user here but not for long Not in sig