Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

aftermarket cold air intake, good or bad???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket cold air intake, good or bad???

I am new to this site having just bought a 2002 Dodge 2WD diesel pickup. I have heard good things and bad (or neutral) about adding a cold air intake system like a K & N FIPK system opposed to leaving things stock and changing the filter to a K & N. Are the aftermarket systems worth the money for a stock engine? All I am after is better mpg.
I also have the Edge 4400 plug and play module. Will this help or hurt my mpg?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Banned

If you keep your foot out of it the Edge should help your milage a bit. But you are gonna need gauges if you plug the box in.

The filter won't though... Diesels work differently than gassers... The reason so many of us run replacment filters or filter systems is EGT control. BHAF being the best bang for your filter buck, and the Scotty II the best (IMHO) system avaliable...
Old 01-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaxworks
I am new to this site having just bought a 2002 Dodge 2WD diesel pickup. I have heard good things and bad (or neutral) about adding a cold air intake system like a K & N FIPK system opposed to leaving things stock and changing the filter to a K & N. Are the aftermarket systems worth the money for a stock engine? All I am after is better mpg.
Do a search here on K&N and see what you come up with -

A Scotty 2 is a true cold air intake and has a very good filter:

http://www.scottysystems.ca/airintakesystems.html
Old 01-29-2006, 02:12 PM

i have a K&N intake in mine (my signature says so) and my mileage it didn't do anything. but quite honestly i do love it because of these reasons: the added power i could deffinetly tell after i put it on, the EGTs are lower which is a good thing, and also i swear on my life my turbo whistled like a son of a gun and it still does. now i did take my silencer ring out and the resonator off my exhaust but still i put it on and it was totally diff. so there are some things about my intake for ya and i do enjoy it and i believe it was worth the green spent on it. let me know how you come out.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by chevysucksgas
i have a K&N intake in mine (my signature says so) and my mileage it didn't do anything. but quite honestly i do love it because of these reasons: the added power i could deffinetly tell after i put it on, the EGTs are lower which is a good thing, and also i swear on my life my turbo whistled like a son of a gun and it still does. now i did take my silencer ring out and the resonator off my exhaust but still i put it on and it was totally diff. so there are some things about my intake for ya and i do enjoy it and i believe it was worth the green spent on it. let me know how you come out.
A K&N is fine on a gas truck....but on a Cummins its NOT. These trucks flow a TON or air and the K&N's let way TOO much dirt into your engine.

Just do a search.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaxworks
If you want improved performance, lower EGT, and better MPG numbers...

Do a BHAF and heatshield!!! Or a Scotty System...

I WILL NOT install a K & N filter on my truck. The simple reason is if you hold a K & N filter up to daylight you can visiabily see pin holes in the media. This means that dirt that is smaller than the pin hole will pass through the media!

At least with BHAF it is a completely sealed paper element filter that is about 3 times bigger than stock and won't leak dirt like the stock air filter does.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Yup, I had a K&N on my truck when I bought it - the turbo impeller was/is very dirty - the filter quickly hit the garbage can.

Another great filter that is a washable, non-oiled BHAF is the AEM Dryflow filter:

http://trucks.aempower.com/press_eve...ail.asp?aid=54

It also flows more air than a BHAF.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dr.,
Do you have a prefilter on that? Just hooked up to your factory tube?
This is the second time I heard you mention that filter, so I took the time to read up on this time. Very interesting!

They have some pretty steep filtration claims too, down to 1 micron?!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:57 PM

havent actually ordered one yet....bu yeah an outerwaresracing prefilter would be a good idea. Pretty sure they will custom make a prefilter for ya if you ask nicely.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:36 PM

all this trash talkin on K&N kind of angers me just for the reason i spent well over $200 on this thing and i am told that they suck! so you all recommend that i get the BHAF system huh? well can you get me some details on this like the price and where to get it.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:40 PM
P.J
Banned

all this trash talkin on K&N kind of angers me just for the reason i spent well over $200 on this thing and i am told that they suck! so you all recommend that i get the BHAF system huh? well can you get me some details on this like the price and where to get it.
There's alway's someone on Ebay who doesn't know better.

BHAF can be ordered from www.fleetfilter.com for about $30.00

The Outerwears cover that most people use can be bought online also for about $34.00.
Heatshield template can be downloaded from the tech facts section.

I wouldn't sweat running the K&N, you wouldn't be the only guy with one.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 PM
P.J
Banned

Oh, and you can prolly still use that fancy tube you got with the kit, if they look like what I think they do.........?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:43 PM

alright thanks alot man for the support and the info. i really appreciate it i'll check ebay and fleetfilter out too but we'll see what i think.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:47 PM

all this trash talkin on K&N kind of angers me just for the reason i spent well over $200 on this thing and i am told that they suck!
Sorry man - Im not trash talking - just trying to HELP you out. This isnt just my opinion. There are MANY people here that wont run a K&N, conversley, there are people that do run them. In the end, I guess its your truck and your hard earned $$. I never like K&N even from the first one I put on my jeep.

If you want to check out a true cold air intake check out the link I posted above.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Filter Testing...

Check out this over on this website on filter testing and results...

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Quick Reply: aftermarket cold air intake, good or bad???