Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket Automatic Transmission users chime in please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Automatic Transmission users chime in please.

So i just got my transmission in today from dave. I plan on installing it asap. But i have a few questions.

What did you do about your stock transmission cooler? Did you flush it? My stock transmission is slipping bad and has some nasty fluid. I don't want that going through my brand new transmission and lines.

Did you run a after market transmission cooler or retain the stock one?

And how much fluid is needed with the double deep pan and a new transmission? 14 or 16 quarts? Thanks..
Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM

I retained my stock cooler (can't get it about 160 even when towing). Ran the fluid for about 300 miles with some lucas tranny treatment in it. Drained it, put in a new filter and everything is just dandy now. I think (just think) that double deep pans are an extra 5 qts. I used 11-12 on a completly empty transmission w/out the double deep.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks for your input how did the fluid look after the 300 miles after you drained it?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Fluid was fine as far as i could tell and I blew up, and I mean blew up the previous transmission.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy the tranny flush kits. It screws onto the cooler line and flushes it out. Most trans builders require it.
You will need about 20 quarts. stock trans pans take 17quarts.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 AM

Second that. Use some cooler flush run a can through and then use some air to blow it dry. ALWAYS FLUSH A COOLER WHEN INSTALLING A TRANS!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have ever seen the insides of a cooler, you'd replace it with every trans! Just my opinion, but I replace them every time, bar none. There are soms passages that even flushing and compressed air won't clean. On your 99 ( I assume ) I would install a new cooler and completely do away with the cooler in the radiator. I have seen several of those collapse and shut off fluid flow to the trans! It is cheap insurance for a high dollar trans!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Usually the double deep pans will take 17-19 quarts and as far as flushing the cooler blow out the coolers in both directions and the spray some brake clean in the lines and blow with compresed air til lines appear clear.

Brett
Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
If you have ever seen the insides of a cooler, you'd replace it with every trans! Just my opinion, but I replace them every time, bar none. There are soms passages that even flushing and compressed air won't clean. On your 99 ( I assume ) I would install a new cooler and completely do away with the cooler in the radiator. I have seen several of those collapse and shut off fluid flow to the trans! It is cheap insurance for a high dollar trans!
What coolers do you replace them with than?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Any name brand cooler. I prefer the kits that come with larger diameter braided line and larger surface area cooler.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
I am taking my local trans builders advice which is the same as yours. Just replace it with a better setup.

I am looking at some transmission coolers from summit. What do you guys think is the best bang for the buck. and to handle my application of light hauling and drag racing..
They range from 110.00 to 250.00 if i get this i also need a gauge too.
Fluid Coolers with Fan - summitracing.com
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Defiantely the PLATE style coolers. Much more efficient. More expensive too, but better by design. I really don't even think you need the one with a fan. Just run the hoses up front and make a mount for it off the upper radiator support, and you're done. The plate design seems much more durable too.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Chapter President

Always flush the cooler, it is not pretty when you dont
Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
Always flush the cooler, it is not pretty when you dont
I am going to ditch the stock setup altogether and run a externally mounted cooler. I am going to plug the one in the rad and ditch the heat exchanger. Then get a gauge and a HD external cooler. That's what i am shopping for now.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:59 PM

I spoke with dave on this topic a few minutes ago. And he stated that the stock coolers are pretty forgiving and take the check ball out of the rear cooler line and you will see 3-4 quarts of fluid in 30 secs or less. And then flush the system with some type of transmission flush. And just install the transmission and go.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Automatic Transmission users chime in please.