Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Aftermarket 4 inch exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket 4 inch exhaust???

Two weeks ago while towing the 5'ver from PA to FL to see the big mouse my tailpipe broke off of the Dodge. So I am thinking now would be a good time to replace the whole system with an aftermarket 4 inch system. Any pro's or con's with the different systems? Also, while looking under the truck not sure if I have a catalytic converter or not. From the back forward: tailpipe, muffler, short exhaust pipe, another smaller box, long exhaust pipe to turbo. Not sure what the small box is ahead of the muffler?? Found this system on the web and it looks pretty decent for the price http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?product_id=15924 . Anyone have any thoughts good or bad? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Banned

The small box as you call it is just a resonator, no cats on the 24 valve engines.

In my opinion all the four inch exhaust are about the same as long as you are talking 16 gauge or 14 gauge stainless steel or not stainless steel. Find the best price and go with it. Just compare the same things when figuring which one to go with, such as I mentioned above.

I bought a 4" system from www.summitracing.com for $300.00 a couple of months ago and am satisfied with it.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Re: Aftermarket 4 inch exhaust???

The 24 valve trucks don't have cats. The chamber is a resonator; and I think most 24v guiys keep it on.

I went to a local muffler shop and had them install a 4" system on my truck and put in a Walker muffler. It was far, far cheaper than any "system" I've seen.

Not saying the systems are bad, but I'm not sure what else you get for your money.

Originally posted by chief3510
Two weeks ago while towing the 5'ver from PA to FL to see the big mouse my tailpipe broke off of the Dodge. So I am thinking now would be a good time to replace the whole system with an aftermarket 4 inch system. Any pro's or con's with the different systems? Also, while looking under the truck not sure if I have a catalytic converter or not. From the back forward: tailpipe, muffler, short exhaust pipe, another smaller box, long exhaust pipe to turbo. Not sure what the small box is ahead of the muffler?? Found this system on the web and it looks pretty decent for the price http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?product_id=15924 . Anyone have any thoughts good or bad? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Banned

Just thought of something else. Make sure the bends are mandrel bent or else you will not be getting a true 4" exhaust.

Again make true comparisons between systems.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a flowmaster and I think my truck sounds better than any other CTD that I have heard to date!! 384.00 delivered to my door.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Muted User

Got some pics in my Gallery ... aluminized ... 5 yrs or so old on road salt.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 PM

Where did u get the Flowmaster setup from?

Does it have that gaser flowmaster sound?
Old 05-21-2004, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by bluebull
The small box as you call it is just a resonator, no cats on the 24 valve engines.
What is the resonator for? Do I need it?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chief3510
What is the resonator for? Do I need it?
A resonator is just a short full flow straight through muffler to help eliminate some drone and noise. Some trucks get a drone at certain RPM's (usually around 2200 RPM's) without the resonator. If you go with a 4' aftermarket and you do not like the drone at the speed you usually drive you can just add a small muffler closer to the engine to act like a resonator. You can also get that at www.summitracing.com for another $35.00. I get a drone in my system while towing without the resonator but I can eleviate that problem by either shifting into 3rd or 4th to change the RPM's so there is little to no drone.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:45 AM

Can anyone else reccomend that Flowmaster setup?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Muted User

Someone posted a Flowmaster before & after awhile back. Gist was gained power removing it & going to a straight thru.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Z1bigtom,

I bought mine (Flowmaster) from 21st century exhaust, I can give you their number tomorrow if you want it. It doesn't sound like the gas job, but it has that "sound" to it. Pretty quite at idle, but when you pass someone at 2500RPM's or so she really bellows!!
Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 PM

hey chief i was going to put that same system on my truck guy i had been using for years i didnt and still dont have the funds( 4 kids) but he was going to do it for 400.00 on the truck check your local guys sometimes they are cheaper and you dont have t do it your self.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:51 PM

MCMopar..........Thats 4" turbo back correct?

I cant decide if i want the S/S Magnaflow for 380.00 shipped off ebay or what?

I think i can get that Flowmaster system from SummitRacing....
Old 05-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Banned

Only problem I have with a flowmaster (or any other chambered muffler) is that they will eventually clog up due to the soot our engines produce. That being said, dad had a flowmaster on his 6.5L Chevy and that thing got plugged up real quick. Thing started running really badly. Pulled it off and it ran like a champ(for a 6.5 chevy). That's why I'd recommend going with a straight through muffler.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 4 inch exhaust???