Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AFE vs Scotty

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFE vs Scotty II

Both excellent improvements!

Scotty II sucks outside air...big plus if adding HP. INFIDEL did a test and found considerable difference yr round under hood air vs outside air. Here is part of his comments...

"It's hot everywhere under the hood. My intake temp as measured at the intake horn a few inches from the grid heaters is almost always a constant 20° higher than the outside temp with the stock airbox.
With the BHAF it was 26° higher. 6° may not seem like much but it's more than 25% hotter than the stock box.
I've never figured out how intake temp relates to egts, it's probably a complex formula, but am certain it isn't a one to one ratio. I'd venture to say it's more like 10° or more higher egt for every 1° rise in intake temp."

TAG...found here http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag

RJ
Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obviously we want more air and COOLER air, right? so, would you consider it a drawback or disadvantage that the AFE is getting it's intake from under the hood???
thanks again.....
Old 03-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Banned

I'd consider it a drawback if your running big power.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by snowrodeo
so, would you consider it a drawback or disadvantage that the AFE is getting it's intake from under the hood???
No...agree with Big Blue. Only becomes a problem when you have to start backing off the throttle due to high EGT's. So it depends where you are headed.
That being said...consider this. The Scotty works very well at any HP level. It's not just for racers or high HP. Having had both (the Scotty II was not out there when I started bombing) I can see no reason for going with any other system, if you're ready for a $200+ intake.

If your SURE you will never want more than 350 hp+/-...either system will work well. Just be aware, there are many of us that started out being sure we just wanted ..."maybe 100 extra horses".

RJ
Old 03-30-2005, 11:32 AM

thanks blue and rj. as you can see from my sig line, im not currently running BIG power - but like rj said - who knows where all this may lead (isnt a 100 extra horses enuff ?? ) right now im just kinda playing around, having fun and trying to learn a little bit. i have a great shop just minutes from the house that carries the AFE, $ 319.00 installed. i dont know of anyone local who handles the scotty products, so i guess that would be a do-it-yourself install if i go that route. but i do like the idea of cooler outside air...........
Old 03-30-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by snowrodeo
i dont know of anyone local who handles the scotty products, so i guess that would be a do-it-yourself install if i go that route. but i do like the idea of cooler outside air...........
Very easy Install (1/2 hr max) and available right here in DTR...see Company Store. Helps keep the web site free. Less money also. For directions on install...click on Scotty II picture here....and/or see my gallery.
http://www.scottyairsystems.com/

Good luck...whichever way you decide to go!

Rj
Old 03-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I used to have the AFE, I run the Scotty II now

I try to move forward in my truck mods, not backwards
Old 03-30-2005, 03:35 PM

got my scotty in today will install tommorrow evening ---how is the 4" hole being cut into the cowl? hate to buy a 4" hole saw for this one hole. can it be done with a jig saw and get a clean job? anything behind it to look out for when making this cut?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally posted by herb
got my scotty in today will install tommorrow evening ---how is the 4" hole being cut into the cowl? hate to buy a 4" hole saw for this one hole. can it be done with a jig saw and get a clean job? anything behind it to look out for when making this cut?
Hole saw is the best way to go with it. Nothing back there but CoOoOOoool air just follow the directions as closely as you can on where to put it.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:28 PM

looked at the directions for scotty install on this site - looks pretty simple and straight forward. now, two more ??'s....
1. is there any difference in noise levels between the two products?
2. livin here in northern utah, sometimes jan-feb gets real cool. can the hole on the scotty be temporarily closed (or does it need to be)? i know this would be counterproductive to the amount of airflow, but wonder about winter air temps? just longer warm up times??
once again, thanks for all the awesome advice - this site rocks!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Admin Team Leader

The Scotty releases the the beast with in your turbo You can really hear it sing with the hole cut.

When installing the unit, just fold back the insulation that is in the space where you drill the hole, if you wish to close it in the winter, you lay the flap back down and it closes the hole nice and neat.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 PM

thaks lary,
is it necessary to cover the hole in winter? and i assume the intake can still pull adequate amounts of air thru the fender, since you can run the systen that way-without the hole.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Admin Team Leader

No sir I run mine in the hole all year long, even when there is a foot of snow on the truck.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
the Scotty 2 requires a 4.5" hole, not a 4". This is very important.
Most stereo shops have them and some auto shops too. They may charge you $10.00 to cut the hole and I know the rental shops here have them...$5.00 for the day. Just make sure its got some teeth.

Sorry I did not see this thread earlier. The Scotty 2 is fine in the winter. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and ran mine all year long.

If you plan to add less then 70HP I suggest the bhaf.

The new filter design in the Sa2 is two stage foam. It will stand up to more then paper element filters or cotton gauze. Reports I am getting are that it only needs the outer layer cleaned on the first cleaning and the entire filter...both layers every other cleaning.
Cleaning intervals vary with your environment. Average cleaning is every 15K. More often if its REAL fine dust and less often in cleaner areas.

Scotty
Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 PM

thanks scotty -
good suggestion on the stereo shop to cut the hole!
and of course that brings up a couple more ??'s

- what do you use to clean the filters? can i use the k&n clean/oil kit i currently have? do you sell a similar kit? cost? what is the cost of purchasing (if necessary) new filter elements?

Quick Reply: AFE vs Scotty