Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AFE stg II vs Scotty Ram Air 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE stg II vs Scotty Ram Air 2

Which intake ? Is the AFE worth the extra $$ ?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

I have had and tested many different air intake systems and found that the AFE is the best for the level of performance that I want and for the level of protection that the Pro-Guard 7 filter provides as well.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:26 PM

From what I've read here, both offer great filtration. The scotty's is great for egt reduction and nothing on the market flows more than the afe.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bang for the buck, SCOTTY II....
Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 AM

I like my Scotty II - gotta love that turbo whistle .
Chris
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 AM

I had the stage 2 on my 02 and loved it, wasn't that much louder than stock, but allowed the turbo to spool quicker and dropped the egt's by 60 or so.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As mentioned above.... Scotty II is best bang for your buck!
But, with your truck...you don't/won't need either for the forseeable future! Put you stock filter box back on, if you have it, or see here ($20.00)
http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/sa_bargains.htm
Just a suggestions.
That way you could spend your money on the other items on your good sized wish list!

RJ
Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You are fortunate to have a second gen truck so that you can get the actual benefit of cool air from the cowling area with a Scotty II filter. My AFE has been sitting on my shelf gathering dust, once I drilled the hole and tried the Scotty II.

The ability to draw cool air from behind the cowl as well as from the fender inlet is what makes the Scotty II so desireable to anyone looking for help with EGT issues. My AFE worked about the same until I added more fueling, then the Scotty II gave me much better EGT reduction.

If you are running stock power levels just about any filter will be fine for you, but if you get near 300 HP or more, that is when the Scotty II shows the most benefit. Plus the removable outer cover on that new multi stage UNI filter is a lot simpler to clean than my old pleated AFE style filter was.

I have done oil analysis testing with both my AFE and MY Scotty II, both filtered well and gave good service for me. The only real difference between the two was the ability to draw the cool air that the Scotty allows you to do.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 PM

Thanks Guys, I thought the Scotty looked real good for the $. I'm Just thinking ahead because I gotta ditch the K&N. I also thought the cool air intake would be better on the Scotty. I've just heard so much good about the AFE
Old 03-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

Funny how I had the complete opposite of Lary's truck. When I had the Scotty on it was ok, then I fueled up and egts went up. But when I installed the AFE Stage 2 Pro-Guard 7 system my egt's went down.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HP Upgrades
Funny how I had the complete opposite of Lary's truck. When I had the Scotty on it was ok, then I fueled up and egts went up. But when I installed the AFE Stage 2 Pro-Guard 7 system my egt's went down.
I have heard from everyone else that has run a Sctty and any other intake, that the Scotty cools the best. It draws only outside air, from the stock hole, and the one that you cut in the cowl, so it make sense that it would cool so well.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Keep in mind two of the respestive contributors sell each of the products. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think both are very good products. I chose the Scotty because of the history I had with UNI filters. The foam filters are what is used on ATV's because of the dirty, dusty environment ATV's run in. The UNI's are easy to clean and the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Oh yeah, they flow a ton of air too.....I don't know if it is more air than the AFI, but I like the design of the housing and the use of the cowl air. BTW, I have new twin turbos and am having to change to an AFI to offer more room.....well,they came withe AFI too. I'll keep you posted if I notice any difference although it will be a whole different animal and I don't think I'll have anything to compare.

Good luck with your decision, Matt
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Keep in mind two of the respestive contributors sell each of the products. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think both are very good products.
This is true and I sell BOTH of these products and have used both of them as well. The second gen trucks are unique in that they can utilize the cool air from the cowling that does not get used in later versions of that product.

I agree they are both good products, but only one of them draws air from 2 seperate places by it's design. That is where the difference comes into play and it is easier to clean.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, and my post was intended as information from personal use, Not a sales pitch.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
This is true and I sell BOTH of these products and have used both of them as well.
And I have never used either... I was posting based on what I had read on Larry's VERY addicting site. And to me the main concer of an intake is cooling, followed by cost. Guess what I prefer of the two.

But the difference of opinions that we all share in a freindly way is what I love about this site.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
This is true and I sell BOTH of these products and have used both of them as well. The second gen trucks are unique in that they can utilize the cool air from the cowling that does not get used in later versions of that product.

I agree they are both good products, but only one of them draws air from 2 seperate places by it's design. That is where the difference comes into play and it is easier to clean.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, and my post was intended as information from personal use, Not a sales pitch.
I hope I didn't step on toes, that was not my intention. It was just to inform the poster that 2 of the opinions were based on their FAB's (features, advantages, and benefits) of the products they sell so he could understand that some of it is a sales pitch to some degree (not that either of you were hawking a sale). Just wanted to point that out so he could also listen to other real world users that don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, and are just reporting their experience. BTW, I did get my Scotty from Lary and as I said before, am satisfied with the performance.

Good luck, Matt

Quick Reply: AFE stg II vs Scotty Ram Air 2