Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

AFE Stage 1 or SuperBHAF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE Stage 1 or SuperBHAF?

I'm looking into getting a new air intake, and the AFE Stage 1 and SuperBHAF are my two options. Which one is the better of the two? I don't mind noise, in fact, I love to hear that turbo whistle! Thanks everyone
Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM

whats this super BHAF you speak of?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're talking about the SuperBHAF from Lazar Smith, it's no contest-- I'd pick the SuperBHAF over the AFE every time.

More flow, and WAY better filtration.

JMO
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 PM

Never heard of a super BHAF? But that decision depends on your cash flow. AFE stage one is good from what I've heard; But you are virtually paying 200-250$ for the same thing as a BHAF with a heat minor heat shield. IMHO you are gonna do just about the same thing if you buy a BHAF for 35$ at nappa and find the thread on here showing you how to make your own heat shield. The one and ONLY thing I don't like about my BHAF(s) that would be different with and AFE is that you can't really clean them and they need to be replaced every 10 thousand miles or so (that may differ depending on the area's in which you drive)
Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
save the money and get a normal Bhaf. And put the extra $150 u save towards a turbo or injectors...
Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 AM

ya, that SuperBHAF is from Lazar Smith. here's the link: http://lazarsmith.com/SuperBHAF.html. it's only $90, and I assume it comes with everything, including the box. I've heard good things about the AFE and the guys at DDP recommended it, but it's looking like it may be a normal BHAF or the SuperBHAF. And you're right Box5, I wouldn't mind saving that extra money to put towards other mods! Has anyone run the SuperBHAF and would like to give their input on it? Thanks everyone
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by kevellis32
Never heard of a super BHAF? But that decision depends on your cash flow. AFE stage one is good from what I've heard; But you are virtually paying 200-250$ for the same thing as a BHAF with a heat minor heat shield. IMHO you are gonna do just about the same thing if you buy a BHAF for 35$ at nappa and find the thread on here showing you how to make your own heat shield. The one and ONLY thing I don't like about my BHAF(s) that would be different with and AFE is that you can't really clean them and they need to be replaced every 10 thousand miles or so (that may differ depending on the area's in which you drive)
The AFE imo is not really comparable to a BHAF. The AFE flows quite a bit more, but filters quite a bit less.

Personally, I'd go with a BHAF over an AFE every time. I'd have a couple inches more restriction in the intake than give up 6% or more filtration efficiency.

The BHAF is over 99% efficiency (SAE FINE dust), while the AFE is around 93%, if I remember correctly.

There was that big air intake shootout that the dieselplace guys did a few years ago that basically showed how much dirt the oiled gauze filters pass, even though they are the kings of flow.

A BHAF flows about 50% more than the stock filter does at the same restriction and even better filtration. That tells me it will do as well as stock (in terms of flow) up to 50% more power (slightly less due to reduced turbo efficiency) while filtering even better than stock.

So, a BHAF gives up NOTHING up to about 300hp. After that, you're talking about progressively higher restriction.

Personally, I think you can't notice a filter better than a BHAF until 375hp or so. Only at that level would a much larger flowing filter actually show an EGT reduction you could see on a gauge (and modest, at that). You might "feel" it sooner, in terms of spoolup and such, and especially if you live in thinner air.

jh
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 AM

wow that looks like crap.. Save your money and just get the Fleetguard BHAF.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM

Hey nate 88, what part of that Super BHAF is only $90? I clicked on "BUY IT" and it came out to $395.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Txwelder
Hey nate 88, what part of that Super BHAF is only $90? I clicked on "BUY IT" and it came out to $395.
wow, you're right! I KNOW when I clicked on it yesterday, it said $90.00!!! ****, should have bought it when it said $90!

So HOHN, are you saying that after about 375HP an AFE would be better than a BHAF just in terms of flow? I'm looking at making my own BHAF shield, but man, that looks like a lot of work
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by nate_88
wow, you're right! I KNOW when I clicked on it yesterday, it said $90.00!!! ****, should have bought it when it said $90!

So HOHN, are you saying that after about 375HP an AFE would be better than a BHAF just in terms of flow? I'm looking at making my own BHAF shield, but man, that looks like a lot of work
the BHAF cowl induction is $90...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM

I bet it's fun removing it each time you go to change the oil filter too. The blue Afe Stage 1 filter is fine for most of us. If you're on a ranch or dusty environment, then the Progaurd 7 filter (stage 1) would be a better choice. It filters the same as the paper elements, maybe even more so. It's about $50 more of the blue AFe filter Stage 1.
I just bought mine with the blue element. It's a pretty nice sized filter, well made, and lots of turbo whistel. Boost is higher, and EGT's lower. I like it.
John
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by nate_88

I'm saying that up to 375hp, you give up NOTHING running a BHAF over an oiled filter. You get far better filtration and plenty of flow.

After 375hp, you start to actually see a little restriction from a BHAF and an AFE will flow better.

But for a SLIGHT increase in flow, your taking BIG reduction in filtration that's imo not worthwhile.

I do not believe in oiled gauze filters for these trucks, no matter who is making it.

**My comments on BHAF mean the traditional BHAF, Donaldson B105006. They may also apply to the "super BHAF" but I have no experience with that filter at all, and only you can decide if the $$ is worth it.**

My current filter will never need replacement, so I'm not in the market for anything anytime soon, and I make no money off anyone buying anything from anyone.

Justin
Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Thanks pgilles for that clarification. After seeing the real price of it, I don't think it will be worth it. And 96RamMan, I can see where it would be a pain to remove the oil filter too, since it looks like you'll have to take out the whole assembly to get to it.... I see what you're saying now HOHN. How much of a pain is it to make your own air box for the BHAF? What about the cost?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Box5
save the money and get a normal Bhaf. And put the extra $150 u save towards a turbo or injectors...
Ditto on that! I installed an AFE stage 1 on my '99 and couldn't stand the turbo whistle. Popped a BHAF in there,problem solved. Sold the AFE through the TDR classifieds at minimal loss.

Quick Reply: AFE Stage 1 or SuperBHAF?