Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Advice for Leveling front, spacers or springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for Leveling front, spacers or springs

I was wondering which way was better to level the front, spacers or springs or does it really matter? Has anyone tried Custom suspension springs, just because they are in Canada and it would make it easier for me to deal with. And, should a person have longer control arms and a different tracbar to recenter the axle? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 AM

I would go with the two inch spacer on the front, that would probably be your fastest and most economical way of doing it. You should not have change out the tracbars for that short of a lift.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:34 AM

I bought the Skyjacker springs and put them in two and a half years ago along with Bilsteins and love the combination. I think if you put in spacers with worn sagging spring you will have just that, spacers with worn sagging springs and the ride quality will be exactly like it is now. Where as if you change the springs you'll end up with better handling and ride. You can get the SJ springs for around $125-150. I used my stock track bar until just a few weeks ago when I replaced it with a Thuren adjustable, the control arms are stock.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 AM

I went with the Skyjacker springs and Bilstein shocks and I'd do it again. The DT track bar went on at the same time and is real nice for centering the axle. I added the longer control arms about six months later and was surprised at what a difference they made in the ride and steering. The control arms aren't necessary, but I went with larger tires and needed the extra clearance
Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 AM

I did the Skyjacker D25s as well. Pretty easy install, barely offcentered the axel at all.
Ride is fin , and I like the height it gives.
Only complaint, the powdercoating kinda sux, although , could be the salt here, plow blades go to crap too.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:04 AM

I just put the spacers in last weekend, i got the spacers and Rancho shocks on ebay for 100.00...I like the look, ride is the same.....now here is the kicker....go to your local wrecking yard and find a 3500, and yank the springs out of it, put them in and your 2" taller, no need for the spacers....just a thought.....
Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not so sure of the ride height difference......my 3500 rides 3/4" LOWER than my 2500.....mind you, they are both well used trucks but the front axle weights are virtually identical and the GAWR's are the same for the front axles on both trucks, so, I'm not so sure that a 3500 has a heavier spring rate or a longer coil.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:34 AM

I'd personally recommend custom coils from CSS (www.coilsprings.com). I got the ride I am VERY happy with. They are 2" taller and a softer spring rate. That, combined with Bilstein 5100s is great. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Obviously, I paid a bit more than you guys, but I had the Skyjackers once... these are definitely better. Springs were about $205 delivered + the 5100s. Rides awesome now. No adjustable trackbar needed really. Axle was just pulled more towards the drivers side about 1/2" max. I can live with that.

Think about it. The coils come highly recommended by others here and I hear they have or do make the custom coils for KORE... but nobody at CSS, obviously, can confirm that.

As far as the 3500 coils adding 2" of lift... this supposedly is not true. Both the 2500 and 3500 use the same height coils... look at this on Fritz site for the heights:
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/springs.htm
A 3500 probably uses a firmer spring rate though. This only works for 1500s.

Steve