Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Adrenaline Surge Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RowJ
...Everyone still having NO surge problems after hardware and software fix?
I thought I'd ask before throwing in my $.02

Originally Posted by J Lent
Just trust me, go into custom tuning menu & set both can min. & Pump min. to 35%. I bet you get no surge.
I tried 35%........ I tried 40%........ i tried 40% w/ Fuel Stretch down to 1500! Nothing worked.
AND, I'm still confused by the fact that I get surge on PL01 and PL02 (which is supposedly impossible??)
When I first tried the CompF tune...not much surge. Now it's back. No idea what caused it but it won't go away??
It is less than previously but I can't use the ADR on any PL if under 60 mph!

I also set up 5 PL's. When I did, selector would not go higher than PL04.

RJ
Old 11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

I thought I'd ask before throwing in my $.02

I tried 35%........ I tried 40%........ i tried 40% w/ Fuel Stretch down to 1500! Nothing worked.
AND, I'm still confused by the fact that I get surge on PL01 and PL02 (which is supposedly impossible??)
When I first tried the CompF tune...not much surge. Now it's back. No idea what caused it but it won't go away??
It is less than previously but I can't use the ADR on any PL if under 60 mph!

I also set up 5 PL's. When I did, selector would not go higher than PL04.

RJ
Are you sure it is a surge & not just the pump boucing off/on fueling? The 5PL setting is working right then, you gotta count PL0 as one setting.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:21 PM

Are you sure it is a surge & not just the pump boucing off/on fueling?
There's a difference??
The 5PL setting is working right then, you gotta count PL0 as one setting.
I knew that....Just forgot it... thanks!
............RJ
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Banned

There actually is a difference. Quad is fueling so hard that he is basically pulling full fuel at any given rpm which you set. I think what you are seeing is that the fuel solenoid is kicking on off & causing a jerk more than a shudder. My truck does that on PL10 when I have my custom tuning loaded, because I have every fuel setting maxed out. You have bigger injectors than I do, you are pulling the pump dry before I am. Maybe a setting like this would work best for you.

timing 5-7*
Can max 100
can min 50-70
pump max 100
pump min 50-70

I'm no expert, but a setting like this will make the box work off the fuel tap at a later throttle responce & you probably wouldn't notice the tap like you do at lower throttle now.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 AM

There actually is a difference. ...I think what you are seeing is that the fuel solenoid is kicking on off & causing a jerk more than a shudder...... you are pulling the pump dry before I am. .
Pulling the pump dry at 1700 rpm and under but not noticing it at higher rpm's????????????

I don't follow that... but what I experience does have an 'on'-'off' feel. And I'm pressently running Mach 4's.

RJ
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Pulling the pump dry at 1700 rpm and under but not noticing it at higher rpm's????????????

I don't follow that... but what I experience has an 'on'-'off' feel. And I'm pressently running Mach 4's.

RJ
Well, in that case...you are probably needing the update. Sorry man. I haven't done any highway driving until yesterday, but I did notice what you are talking about. My truck would bounce off the fuel tap at 65mph, wouldn't notice it at 70mph. It was easily fixed by adjusting both minimums to 50 though.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His problem is that he has the new firmware AND software, so he has no options left as far as I know..
Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Yes...do have both updates.... but will try the 'minimum' settings at 50%.

I'm about to just go back to a Smarty (with timing) for daily driving, and stack it with the CompF (custom tuned to 0 timing) for playing hard.

RJ
Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

Yes...do have both updates.... but will try the 'minimum' settings at 50%.

I'm about to just go back to a Smarty (with timing) for daily driving, and stack it with the CompF (custom tuned to 0 timing) for playing hard.

RJ
Yeah, I think you just need to try some different settings to eliminate the surging. The Smarty stack does work well, but I think it is definately adjustable as is.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM

..... It (surge) was easily fixed by adjusting both minimums to 50 though.
I tried 50% on TPS and CAN minimums. But I'm confused. Reviewing Quads custom tuning guidlines.... he says set the minimums at 10% and you never get less than 10% of the fuel stretch map.
So going higher (50%) on minimums means more fueling at light throttle than the factory 30%. Correct?

That being said, 50% mins seems to have less violent surging....so I'm probably wrong above.

But I thought the firmware changes and/or the 10/21 tunes were suppose the eliminate the surging problems completely??

RJ
Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

I tried 50% on TPS and CAN minimums. But I'm confused. Reviewing Quads custom tuning guidlines.... he says set the minimums at 10% and you never get less than 10% of the fuel stretch map.
So going higher (50%) on minimums means more fueling at light throttle than the factory 30%. Correct?

That being said, 50% mins seems to have less violent surging....so I'm probably wrong above.

But I thought the firmware changes and/or the 10/21 tunes were suppose the eliminate the surgingproblems completely??

RJ
When you set the minimums, you are setting the spot in the pedal where the fueling will kick in. Meaning, you will press the pedal 50% before the pump tap or can fueling will kick in. Where do you have the rest of the settings at? Timing can also play a factor as well as pump stretch & boost scaling. Each truck will respond differently based on combos etc. The update should have eliminated the surging?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Everything else is factory CompF.... except for timing at 7*.

RJ
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

Everything else is factory CompF.... except for timing at 7*.

RJ
I'm no expert by no means, just trying to help. Don't you have a HRVP of some sorts? My truck is a manual SO pump, different ballgame. I'm probably not gonna be able to help much. I'd call Quad & try some of his recommendations, but I would guess that lowering the fuel stretch & adjusting boost/timing scales would help?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM

On my truck I have to run my timing at 3.5 and scale at 80% to be surge free even on pl01 and pl02.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 AM

Ok, RowJ, try this for me.

Set the MAX Timing to 0. Tell me if it gets better.

The main problem we have fixed, no doubt. As I have mentioned in many other threads we had a little issue with the pump stretch and stretching too much, even if we were calling for hardly any.

That is what was causing the "bucking" and all of that.

Now, we are finally getting some cold weather and we may need to alter some of the timing and can fueling now that we have other things fixed.

Check the Timing on 0 for me, and I will have some new tunes out to try tomorrow that alter the Can Fueling. I will also look into and see if we can get a little more out of just the CAN stuff while I am at it!

Quick Reply: Adrenaline Surge Updates