Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Adrenaline Surge Updates

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Have you had the opportunity to test on a truck/trucks that are KNOWN to surge? Have you seen one first hand yet? Think a solution is imminent for the surging?

Thanks
Shawn
Well in the past we have went to some trucks or had some trucks that came to us with this terrible surge. When we got to them and hooked a bunch of stuff up there was a miracle. They stopped???

Hoping the truck today does not do that.

I have a whole book of printed off emails and posts that we are using to try and diagnose something. Here is my best guess as to what is going on.

In general the surging happens on very aggressive, comp style tunes for the most part. Some of the problems are probably tuning related while others are probably driving style related. For example, why do you really plan to run on PL10 with a COMP tune at 35mph and 14% TPS??? Why would you not turn it down for that type of driving situation? If everyone wants to leave stuff set to kill all the time we could have have ourselves and you guys lots of money and made a 1 setting box.

We also have a few guys that have reported surging with lesser tunes and we are trying to figure out if it is tuning or tranny related or what it is. This is a much smaller percentage so we should be able to nail it down better?

I posted a poll so hopefully we will get some good feedback.

I am certain the 1000 and 2000 tunes will be easy to make perfectly drivable and smooth for everyone. I could do the same for the COMP but, possibly at the risk of loosing the instaneous fueling......not sure if that is a good compromise or if we would be better turning it down for cruising?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Well in the past we have went to some trucks or had some trucks that came to us with this terrible surge. When we got to them and hooked a bunch of stuff up there was a miracle. They stopped???

Hoping the truck today does not do that.

I have a whole book of printed off emails and posts that we are using to try and diagnose something. Here is my best guess as to what is going on.

In general the surging happens on very aggressive, comp style tunes for the most part. Some of the problems are probably tuning related while others are probably driving style related. For example, why do you really plan to run on PL10 with a COMP tune at 35mph and 14% TPS??? Why would you not turn it down for that type of driving situation? If everyone wants to leave stuff set to kill all the time we could have have ourselves and you guys lots of money and made a 1 setting box.

We also have a few guys that have reported surging with lesser tunes and we are trying to figure out if it is tuning or tranny related or what it is. This is a much smaller percentage so we should be able to nail it down better?

I posted a poll so hopefully we will get some good feedback.

I am certain the 1000 and 2000 tunes will be easy to make perfectly drivable and smooth for everyone. I could do the same for the COMP but, possibly at the risk of loosing the instaneous fueling......not sure if that is a good compromise or if we would be better turning it down for cruising?
As far as I'm concerned, if you wanna run a ***** out tune then surging may or may not come with the territory. The weaker tunes should be streetable IMHO.

As far as leaving it turned up and not using it? I'm the type of guy who's "playful" and doesn't like to get caught with his pants down. I might be toying with another truck next to me, until we get next to each other at a light. I won't break any laws, but I do like to be first off the line and leave smoke every now and then. Rather than "push and hold" for 30 seconds and possibly lose while I'm changing levels, I'll turn the chip up preemptively just in case, and sometimes I'll get the surging before I've ever had the chance to play. Sometimes I leave the chip on while on the expressway too, because my commute is during rush hour and I often find myself accelerating to get out of the way of a merger, passing a schmuck who can't do the speed limit, squeezing into a fast pack of cars, etc... PL10 might not be ideal, but PL03/04 can be, and I get surging just the same on them.

On the other hand, any and all of the tunes I've been very happy with power wise, it's just most often I'm in a situation where I leave the chip on "just in case", and I encounter surging.

I’d come meet you guys to show you it, but it’s a bit of a haul (gotta be close to 2k miles each way). I’m also fairly certain it’s not the transmission, but hey anything is possible I guess?

If you guys need any info I can supply or anyone else, please let us know! I'm open to suggestions here as well. Also, I don't think "beta" exists anymore, but I was a tester and will still gladly run any tunes you guys want me to try. Not sure if you have my email still, but if you don't just let me know and/or PM me and I'll get it to you...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM

1000 series used to be the best near zero surge the 2000 series I could not tow (terrible surge) I had rv 275 at the time. I have since put in mach 1.6s now I get terrible surge with the 1000 series and the 2000 is what I have to use. I get the worst surge in pl 2 while towing I tried the 1000b and other fixes they where horrible. When I turn the adr off I get zero surge and miss the power
Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 PM

my truck runs fine with the comp tune in the lower settings, so i think that i will just turn it down on 7 or 8 and leave it there unless i am feeling spunky. i can deal with the surging to have the extra throttle response i dont like the idea of less throttle response. i will just keep drivin.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well got the test box today. Pl5 and no surge on the way home from work.
I've got to do some more testing this weekend. So far so good.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
You actually had enough self control not to put it on KILL right away? What's wrong with you?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

I put mine on kill & zero surge. It cuts fuel off at 3250 though. Other than that, no problems here so far.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

I'm not sure my TC could take Pl10. But maybe if a Powerjoke tries anything this weekend it might get bumped up. Did smoke a Dmax last weekend though on the old 1000 tune.
I might Dyno it next weekend at the Mason Dixon dyno day.
Quad said this box has the Comp tune on it and the custom tuning is enabled. And not to load any other tunes.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Originally Posted by J Lent
I put mine on kill & zero surge. It cuts fuel off at 3250 though. Other than that, no problems here so far.
You guys both got the updated beta boxes? Well mine showed up about dinner time but I should have it on and tested before Monday.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by EBunger
You guys both got the updated beta boxes? Well mine showed up about dinner time but I should have it on and tested before Monday.
I had it delivered to my work and we get UPS everyday at the same time 9:30 and it was on the truck at 9:45.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EBunger
Yep. Working great!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Got mine, works good! No surge that I can tell, power sucks though. I didn't play with the custom tuning yet as I need to scotch brite my pulse unit again

Shawn
Old 10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Chapter President

I just scotch brited the contacts, and when I had it apart I pulled the little cups back on the buttons and lightly drug the silicon chip across some 400 sandpaper then cleaned with alcohol. So far so good, the buttons react instantly.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Chapter President

Mine still surge's. Even after adjusting the custom tuning like Quad said. The new box is lacking a lot of power, almost no smoke. Heck it had more power with the old box and the J lent 1000 tune.
I'm gonna try a Smarty this week to rule out if it's the truck or the AD.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM

You guys with test boxes need to be communicating with me and only me.

Does no one have any common sense anymore?

Quick Reply: Adrenaline Surge Updates