Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Adjusting Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting Steering Box

Can you adjust the stock power steering box? I've replaced the track bar and put on a DSS, but still have sloppy steering. I don't want to buy a new box just yet.
Thanks for any input
Cory
Old 08-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can try to adjust it with the top bolt on the box. The correct way is to take it off, and adjust the free play. You need a service manual for that one.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Anybody know the procedure for doing that? I looked in my manual and all I could find is how to remove the whole thing.
Thanks
Cory
Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM

Here's the hillbilly procedure..........Loosen the lock nut, tighten the screw until it JUST touches then back it off a 1/4 turn and re-tighten the lock nut.
Start the truck and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times to check for binding. I did it this way on several trucks and never had a problem.
There will be many that see this and say that it's a , but to each their own.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Thats what I done Didn't seem to do what I wanted to so I guess I will be buying a new one shortly.
Thanks for the Help
Cory
Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by hink
Here's the hillbilly procedure..........Loosen the lock nut, tighten the screw until it JUST touches then back it off a 1/4 turn and re-tighten the lock nut.
Start the truck and turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times to check for binding. I did it this way on several trucks and never had a problem.
There will be many that see this and say that it's a , but to each their own.
I did mine the same....Well kind of.
I loosened the lock nut turned the screw 1/4 turn tightened the lock nut and drove it. Then repeated the procedure until it felt good to me.
It's been a couple of yrs since I last did it and I can feel lots of slack again. I guess I should get under there and do it again.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Hey check the the plastic bushing in the steering column ,search rock solid steering they sell the bushing, fixed mine, I thought it was the box also.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM

The web site for the repair bushing is www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM

I already called those guys. That isn't what is causing most of my slop even though it may be some of it. When my wife turns the steering wheel I can see the steering shaft moving but not the shaft coming out of the box, whatever that is called. So I may just need to buy a new box, it has close to 180,000 miles on it.
Thanks for the Input
Cory
Old 08-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

hi
wash the stearing box with gunk to make it easy

remove the box is the easy way

loosen and remove the lock nut where the stearing wheel shaft enters the box .

turn the bearing adjuster in till there is no play then back off app 1/4 in.

reinstall the lock nut making sure the bearing preload adjuster does not turn !!

lossen the lock nut on top of sector shaft turn in allen screw till all slop is gone
back off 1/4 turn .
hold screw tighten lock screw .

reinstall box
fill fluid in pump .
put truck in gear and let it move slowley and turn wheel right to left 2 times .

refill fluid , repeat as needed to fill fluid to proper level .

you done , take a test drive !

after cleaning box you can do it in app 1.5 hours with time to spare .

you will not beleve the diff in stearing .

these trucks are so heavy the wheels should not be turned with out the truck moving at least at a low speed to releve stress on the stearing box, that is what puts so much stress on the sector shaft bearings / seals causing problems .

also if you drop the 4 bolts from the sway bar center mounts it will swing doun out of the way allowing easy acces to the box for removal !
hpoe this helps someone
let me know !
Old 08-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Sweet Thanks
Cory
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM

If the box adjustment doesn't work, you may want to check the pitman shaft(the output shaft) . Its easy to check, just have someone in the cab work the wheel back and forth without turning the tires, make sure they go hard. look at the pitman shaft and see if its walking back and forth. It shouldn't have much play at all. Its a common problem with dodges that the bushing that holds the pitman shaft in place gets worn and the shaft walks, causeing wondering or loose feeling steering, eventually that seal will start leaking. You will need a new box to fix it. There is a fix for this that will prevent the bushing from wearing and help eliminate wondering. Its a support for the pitman shaft, you put a differnt nut on that fits into a bearing thats held by a crossmeber that bolts up under the sway bar bushings. Had to replace my box and i put the stabilitzer in. I no longer have wonder or loose steering. I think the upgraded trac bar would make my truck handle really good.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM

I have already installed the steering stabilizer. I just need to check the movement of the shaft the pitman attaches to in sequence with the steering shaft after I adjusted the box. Seems to steer a little better but still not what I am looking for.
Thanks Everybody for Chiming in
Cory
Old 09-06-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:10 AM

You might want to look here http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

Quick Reply: Adjusting Steering Box