Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Adding a light bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a light bar

I would like to l know if anyone here has added a light bar to their truck. I need one for working at night and will add some spot lights to the mix for some versatility. But I would like to get about 4-6 bright lights up above the roof mounted onto my flatbed's headache rack. I can hook everything up but I didn't know if I would have to run something special or if I could use the existing wiring from the running lights and rig up a switch in the cab to turn them off and one. Once again this is for working not driving down the road. Also do you all have any recommendations for a brand of good light to use.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would run a heavy wire from battery to relay, to turn lights on/off. 30 amp in line fuse from battery would be a good thing too.
On lights, talk to your pocket book.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An idea from an electrician. Do as saab9k mentioned, you will need a heavy guage wire if you want to run big lights. Run the heavy wire through a relay and then out to your lights. If you have a third brake light, which I assume you would on an 06, take it off the back of the cab and tap the wire from the switch in the dash that turns on your cargo light, now run the new wire from the switched cargo light wire to your relay and then ground the relay as it requires. This will make all your lights come on with the nice clean look of the factory installed switch. I did this on a frineds truck who alos had a flat bed and it works great. The only thing I didn't like was when he unlocks his truck with the key fob, the cargo light turns on therefore all his big lights turn on for a few seconds too. I hope thats clear if not give me a shout and I will go take apart my truck and take some pictures. Also, lightforce makes good quality lights, I have some on my truck and they took a deer at nearly 100 mph, the bumper was destroyed and the lights still worked fine, not even a crack in the lens good for working lights if you want to spend the money. They are also adjustable from a flood to spot light pattern. cheers.