Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Accerlating from stop vibrates and breaks carrier bearings!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Accerlating from stop vibrates and breaks carrier bearings!

Since the first test drive after installing 4.5" tuffcountry lift kit with add-a-leaf and 5.5" block with correcting angle in April my 3500 has started to vibrate when accerlating with about half thorttle or more, without tire spinning, from stop 0 mph. I wont happen if your moving.

And it can not be all about axle wrap because with stock it won't have the power to do that.

What could cause that?

Well, anyway, my original carrier bearing failed three months after lift kit installation.

I ordered carrier bearing, it was the right sized one, but I think it was the 2wd version because the attaching points were twice as wide than the original.

We made a 2" carrier bearing drop bracket with a little correcting angle and wider attaching points so I could fit my new carrier bearing on. I think I solved the problem, nope, the vibration was still there.

But at least it worked. After many accerlations, also three months later this new carrier bearing failed, the bearing ripped of out of it's rubber carrier.

Now I bought a new one and got the same bearing as before. I thought the last breakdown was because of the drop bracket, it was in the same place than the original, but 2" lower, so I moved it little bit, an inch forward to compensate the drop lenght of the drive shaft.

But no! When I try to accerlate hard, after few dead stop accerlations the driveshaft pulls itself and the carrier bearing towards the rear of the truck, the whole driveshaft is moving out of the transfer case and pulling the carrier bearing rubber and bearing towards the rear of the truck. Then the driveshaft hits the carrier metal and make some really awful noise, then I'll know that I have to un-bolt it and push the driveshaft back to the transfer case.

Well... I bolted it back on the same place where it was the last three months. No, it still does the same, pulls it out of the transfer case.

My driveshaft is now 2" out of the transfer case and still wants to go further back!?

What is the problem? Really?

Should I remove the carrier bearing drop bracket and make only a flat conversion plate to fit this new carrier bearing to the original holes?

But I know that even after removing the drop bracket I would still have that same vibration as before!?

What is the real problem? What should I do with that carrier bearing?

I can get only those carrier bearings here in Finland quickly. So that's the reason for having a little different one than the original was.

Here's few pictures of the drop bracket and the last bearing I had...
http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?im...0004322ka8.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?i...m000433ka4.jpg

This whole thing is something that I can't figure out... and neither can my friends. Didn't get any answers on finnish Dodge Ram topic either...

I hope you guys can help me.
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me it sounds like axle wrap.......if everything is tight u-bolts and such, you may want to try a set of ladder bars.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
JIT

If you drive line angles are good then add traction bars and this should go away! YES it does have the power/torque to cause axle wrap in stock form, especialy if your angles are changed by a lift kit.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM

I have, almost, the Identical lift has yours. I did not drop the carrier bearing and I have put at least 75,000 miles on it with no problems. The vibration is there at take off or if I get on it when I am going 50 mph and in OD. If you find a solution to all this that would be great.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM

i just want to make sure you have a differece in angle between the shaft before the carrier and after the bearing.
you cant have a straight line/1 angle from the axle to the tranny. you need a couple degree angle change after the carrier.
when its all straight it makes the drive shaft act like a jump rope. it swings.
i have a 6" lift and used/made a 1" 3/16 spacer.
i just did my lift a few days ago and got the vibration.
i just added the spacer last night and its all gone.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 AM

Nope, I don't have a straight line. My problem is that my carrier bearing wants to go towards the rear end...

I think I take the spacer away and live with the vibration untill I put traction bars and hope they take the vibration away...

But I'm still amazed why it rips the bearing backwards.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with axle wrap the pinion is trying to point up that is what is pulling the carrier bearing out. Try the traction bars and see if it helps.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 AM

The rear end is moving up and pulling on the drive shaft and carrier bearing
Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
with axle wrap the pinion is trying to point up that is what is pulling the carrier bearing out. Try the traction bars and see if it helps.
What he said
Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by heykw
The rear end is moving up and pulling on the drive shaft and carrier bearing
And what he said
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM

I think ladder/traction will help with this problem
Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 AM

This also happens when one uses air bags to level the truck instead of bigger over load springs you take all the weight off the springs put a big load on it and have a air bag on the axle acting as a pivot point.This allows the spring to be able to flex and the axle to twist up until the spring gets tight . You added a 5 inch block that gives you a big lever arm that can twist the spring.Have some one take a video of you leaving the line hard and see what is happening with the rear suspension .
Old 11-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Well.. My friend didn't see any big movement when I tried...

But but... That tuff-country block was only 2cm taller than my stock was, that's about 3/4 inch.

And then there's that Add-A leaf... maybe that's the weak point.

I think I'll ask my friend if he can made those bars for me.

And I'll put that carrier bearing on it's stock place.

But can anybody tell me that what kind of Dodge carrier bearing I have?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 AM

I just noticed that the slide after the carrier bearing does not move correctly. Could that be the problem?
I did not see that there were any grease inside when I took the driveshaft apart when changing the carrier bearing.

What should I do?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If the telescope of the drive shaft is stuck you'll have the symptoms described. I'd suggest pulling it apart and putting some grease on. (Be careful to get it back together in the same orientation- I usually use a punch to mark both sides.)

With a lift kit or the like the telescope has to go out of it's "accustomed" position and may stick.

HTH

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Accerlating from stop vibrates and breaks carrier bearings!