Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

? about vulcan fuel pressure test kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about vulcan fuel pressure test kit

Hello y'all, I don't have a cummins...yet but I'm finally getting to where I can afford one. I plan on getting a '00-'02, newer the better. Anyway, I want advice on this vulcan fuel pressure test kit from genos.http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....ULCAN_TEST_KIT It looks nice and I want something that I can hook up to a potential truck for purchase and test the fuel pressure so I don't buy a truck with a dead lift and/or injection pump (assuming the gauge is easy and quick to hook up, never done it). Anyway after I do buy a truck could I just leave this gauge hooked up under the hood indefinitely? I'd probably just pop the hood every now and then and check the pressure at idle....I know I should have a gauge in the cab but its better than nothin' right? I just don't want to run fuel into the cab for a mechanical and I'll be damned if I spend $220++ on an electric gauge that may or may not work right. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks guys!!! I hope to have a new truck soon!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 AM

By all means this would be excellent for checking a potential purchase. And yes, you could leave it hooked up...but doing so would be pointless. You need to know what the fuel pressure is a Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The fuel pressure at idle is nearly meaningless.

Running fuel inoto the cab is not as big of a deal as you might think - I was hesitant at first but have been doing it for a number of years now (many, many members here do it as well). You will not have a problem if you use quality parts and do a good install.

Good luck on the purchase....make sure you check the fuel pressure and have it scanned for codes before you buy.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the response. I realize the WOT pressure is most important but could you not estimate what this would be from the idle pressure? Maybe this is wishful thinking. I really want to get this kit for a potential purchase but will it be useless after purchase? I guess I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and put a mechanical in the cab. Could I rig this gauge into the cab safely so I don't have to buy another gauge for the truck? Thanks for bearing with all my questions, lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No you can't estimate from idle pressure because flow rates come into play. What you can do though is see how the pressure drops under load as a way of judging the pump's ability to keep up with the demands of the IP.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Hillcountry has got it nailed. The VP-44 is cooled and lubed by the fuel, therefore you need to know the pressures at cruise and WOT rather than idle.

Even if you have a guage in the cab, having this as a test guage is still a good idea and you can use it to verify your in cab guage if you ever need to. All you really need is the hose and fitting...then you can pick up a regular pressure guage for a few bucks.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

While I am waiting for my gauges, which will be a Christmas present from my kids, I drilled a hole near steering column, fed the hose from the Vulcan kit into it, set gauge in the ashtray and connected it to pump Schrader valve.
It works great, now I know my pressure anytime.
It's getting cold around here and I want to know if pump has problems keeping up with thicker fuel.

I have a Black Holley bought on Ebay new for $ 50.00 and works like a champ.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks guys...so Valv you say you use this gauge in your cab? Any issues with leaking or anything? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 AM

I installed it yesterday.... so far so good.

I just have to go for a month, then better gauges will be installed.
The hose that comes with Vulcan gauge seems good quality, I get 15lbs at idle and 8lbs WOT
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 AM

Is this test kit meant to be a portable tester or for full-time installation under the hood?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Not to get off topic, but.........do you have a couple pics of how you did this? Could be a temporary solution for me too, until I can get gauges. (Dont have kids yet )
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i have that kit i got it direct from vulcan. i leave mine hooked up under the hood all the time and once a week i open the hood and lay on the windshield shut hood and go to work and while driving check my presure. i get 18psi at idle and 15-16 at wot. but i have a fass pump.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You just like the WOT part.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:10 PM

You could just buy the schrader adapter, the gauge, a couple of fittings, and a longer length of hose to make it long enough to pull out of the hood and watch while driving. This way you can thoroughly check out your potential purchase.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21
You could just buy the schrader adapter, the gauge, a couple of fittings, and a longer length of hose to make it long enough to pull out of the hood and watch while driving. This way you can thoroughly check out your potential purchase.
Why do you have to do this ? The original hose is 6ft long, there's only 2 ft between pump and hood, 1 more ft to have it out, stick it under wiper and you can drive it anywhere.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 PM

Because I did not know it was that long. My bad.

Quick Reply: ? about vulcan fuel pressure test kit