Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

About to get tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not for nothin rick, I put my H2's on at 6,000 miles on my truck, I now have 26 thou, and rotated the bfg's at 15 thou, way too late to save the ones from the rear, I have them on the front now and the front right is so bad you can see into the next compound of the tire, no cords or threads yet but dang, 20 thou and throw em out?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RickCJ
... The BFG A/T KO's are the only tires on our list with the severe weather rating, I guess that doesn't mean much in Texas unless you get one of those freak snow storms. BFG gets very good traction and very good milage, period. This is the best all around tire....
My expirience, having lived in the Northeast and in Texas, is that any deep tread tire will grab & clear snow.

The BFG's just don't get-er-done in the "Calichi" (wet clay mud found throughout the South West). I have seen how they just don't release the mud and clean out, like Lonestar said. The grooves are too narrow and they plug up, killing traction.

The other traction problem in Tx is rubber/oil build up on city highways between infrequent rains. Early morning dew, or rain, makes the roads almost like black ice! I was surprised to see people stay home from work when this happened... just like a big snowstrom in the NE. Any higher mileage tire, including Michelins, have trouble then. The soft rubber, off road tires seem to handle these conditions best.

I gave up on Coopers years ago, and am not inclined to try them again, but the TOYO's appear to do it all and last as long,or longer, than most. If I ever go back to 285's, it will be the M-55's.

RJ
Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM

Thumbs up

My truck came with the Goodyear Wrangler AP's, 235/85/16 E. I only had 23k on them, but were 5 years old, cracked side walls. Didn't want them coming apart with the trailer, or otherwise. They performed OK but primarily a road tire, not very good in mud.
GoodYear wold not give me much adjustment toward better tires, their new Wrangler Silent Armor. It is made to compete with the Michelin, so they say.
It is a truck tire designed for real AT experience. They rated it an M&S, for what that is worth.I shopped the tires and pitched a low price from a competitor to a factory store. I got them for $140/tire plus $14 road hazard, no other cots, except tax. This is below cost, so I am told. These tires have 4 Kevlar belts(Bullit proof vests ar made of this) and 2 steel belts
These have 50k warranty, but the dealer said to rotate at 6k, as it is an agressive pattern. It is supposed to be good on road, snow, mud, rain. Similar triple tread Goodyears tires have done well on consumer report, scoring #1.
I have the Goodrich AT KO's on my Nissan 4x4 Frontier, have performed extremely well. They even negotiated West Texas clay roads in the rain, although that was like driving on Owl snot, not for the faint of heart.
A few other folks on this site have gotten the new Goodyears, it will be interesting to see how they compare to the established leaders. Goodyear has been good at warranty and being fair to customers, I can attest. When they are set at beating Michelin , I think they can do it, if they set their mind to it. New tire, new technology from an industry leader. Time will tell. Might be worth a look by you tire kickers looking for a good AT tire with a reasonably agressive pattern, but little noise.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by RickCJ
They didn't!!!
By the way you need to compare the Cooper S/T to the BFG Mud Terrain, the S/T is more of a mud tire than an all terrain! I have a customers truck in the shop rigt now and he has about 15K on them and they are about 1/2 tread.
First off Rick, the Cooper S/T is an all terain "type" tire. The ST/T is the one which is a dedicated mud tire (with siping BTW). Besides, I think you just shot yourself in the foot by declaring the S/T a "mud" tire. If you think it's a mud tire, and it lasts as long or longer than the BFG A/T, I know which one I would go with. Another point, up here in Wyoming, where it stays below -20 quite a while, and you can have ice on the road 2-3 months out of the year, guess which tire you see on more heavy duty pick ups than any other? The Cooper Discoverer S/T. Not only does it do better on the ice, in the mud, and in the snow.....but it just plain out lasts the BFG.....IF YOU STAY ON TOP OF ROTATIONS! Any tire will go to hell quickly if not taken care of.

BTW, it would be interesting to see a heads up comparison of the BFG mud T/A against the Cooper Discoverer ST/T (Super Tough Tread). I personally think the Cooper would spank it. Check them out for yourselves.

here's the S/T
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...ht+Truck+Tires

The ST/T
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...ht+Truck+Tires
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 AM

My 2 cents worth....

Just replaced my 285 75R16 Toyo MT's after 40,000kms, they wore down nice and even with proper rotations and still had about 3/32nds left, (I'll admit to being quite disappointed with how fast they wear). I replaced them with 285 75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's and so far I love them, they're way quieter on the road and seem to grab as well as the Toyo's ever did and all for about $80.00 CDN less per tire. I really liked the Toyo's but can't say the price vs. wear factor would make me buy them again. I hear mixed reviews from the oilfield service company next door to us about Toyo M55's, great wear but marginal performance on gravel/snow/ice....and $$$$$$$$$$