Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

About to get tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickCJ
If you know any thing about tires, not the average Joe off the street, it is quite obvious which tire is better!
Hint which tire wins most offroad racing and rockcrawling events?, which tire is severe weather rated? Which tire has 3 ply sidewall and rim protector?
But the ONLY person I know that has run both on the same truck got much better life and traction out of the Coopers. Lots of towing, and gravel roads. Including a trip to Montana from Louisiana grossing 17k on the Coopers. Got 50k out of those tires. And the 2 other sets of Coopers he bought. Only 35k ou of his BFGs...

Not that the BFG are bad tires, I put a set on my wife's 4Runner... Love them, but I use my truck much differently than we use her 4Runner.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Not comitted to either set, What is the life like on the Toyo's? I have heard they have great pavement manners and awesome in the mud, but I need a tire that will last longer than most true mud tires... Thats what pushed me to the BFG and the Coopers.
Can't answer how long Toyo's A/T's or MT's last. I'm on my first set.
Anyone Had expirience?

RJ
Old 01-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My last set of BFG A/T 285/75R16s lasted for close to 60K. I'm on a 10K rotate and re-balance schedule. On my second set right now, wear seems to be comparable.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 PM

They don't make the size you want...but I've been VERY happy with the BFG commercial T/A tractions I have on my dually. Can't beat the price at Costco either. about $110/tire installed.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset...a_traction.pdf
Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 AM

I have BFG on my dually. They are reall nice. They are good on the road and off the road. One thing I like about BFG ALT. is that they aren't real aggresive but aggresive enough that I can still get places without getting stuck. They don't wear that bad if you don't do a lot of burn out, like I do.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
I can get either set for within $20...

Pretty much made up my mind now, looking like I'll be buying Coopers.

Nick

i didnt catch this thread earlier... If you have the coops my hatts off to ya.. I had BFG's and ill be honest, my liberator wally world treads are better off the beaten than the goodriches. I have a friend with those 285 STTS on his truck and they are mud flingin lil devils. and he rotates them religiously at 6K intervals.. Much better They will be my next set

Best of luck!

Rick
Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Can't answer how long Toyo's A/T's or MT's last. I'm on my first set.
Anyone Had expirience?

RJ

The cattle ranch i work for at times

has Toyo M55's on their 00 F 250 stroke, six speed 4x4. Crewcab at that. They wear like iron to tell you the truth. They get on average about 45K per set of tires down gravel roads and highway WITHOUT any rotation and what not, but they are pricey....

Its all the experience i have with them. My mom has stock continentals on her F150, dad has Triangles on his chevy 2500, and bro has michelin all terrains on his honda passport.

Tx
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
JAX

The Cooper S/T's are definately an awesome tire. The Cooper tire pictured earlier in this thread is the Cooper STT (Super Tough Tread) and they are a little agressive for my personal taste. If my truck saw the sticky stuff more often, then maybe so. But the Discovery S/T would be my choice. A friend has some on his 01 CTD and he gets about 50-60K out of them. He says they self clean well, and are not too noisy. If you do alot of gravel road driving, check out the Cooper ST/C.

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...#sizesAndSpecs

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...ht+Truck+Tires
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 AM

My Toyo M55s rears are gone in under 17K. Towed a fifth wheel out west for 8500 miles and the rest is unloaded. Alot depends on your driving habits-with mine, I expect around 20-25K. The M55s are good offroad, onroad with a trailer they excell. On wet roads they are good. In snow they are very good with 1/2 or more tread on them.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned

bigguns

Man I am soo tempted to see if these fit, too far to drive and check, can not find them local, any ideas??? Kumho 35 14.5 17 :
Old 01-29-2006, 02:54 PM

I am looking for tires also, I do paved roads and snow mostly, I had heard good things about the Bridgstone Dueller A/T Revo? I was going to do 285/75. What do you guys think? I have Uniroyal Laredos now and don't like them.

Thanks Bob
Old 01-29-2006, 03:23 PM

Although i cant comment on any of the tires, i have the toyo m-55's. And if the toyo m/t's are any bit as good, then you wont be dissapointed. I have 30K on my toyos and love the way they clean themselves out! IN 30k i have lost 1/32 of tread, NOT BAD IMHO. So if the m/t's are any bit as good you wont have any regrets!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 PM

Just put a set of the AT revo's on my Liberty. They are cool. I ave the BFG AT's on my ctd. Like them both
Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 PM

Let's talk tires....

Ok guys, I think it's time I chime in, being that I own/manage a family-owned tire/trailer service shop that's been at it for 28 years. We've seen all the tires you have mentioned on-road, off-road, in the field, in rocky areas, on gravel, in dirt, in mud, and it's real world results that drive my recommendations, not hear-say or name brands. First and foremost, it all depends on what your application for the tire is gonna be. If you're on the road all the time, then a long running tire ala Michelin is the best, bar none. If you venture off the road, 50/50, then there are some things to take into consideration. I'll start with the best and higher $$$ and move down. Not taking away from the lower ones just that in real world experience, seeing these perform day-in and day-out we get a good sense of what works. For 285/75R16's, the top performer for mileage & traction would be the Toyo M55. We recommend this to Utility companies, heavy-duty agriculture (farm & ranch), and commercial users. It is one of the few tires that is used in military applications on a regular basis. It is the highest $$$ tire of the bunch but it is the ONLY 285/75R16 with an E load rating and a 3 ply sidewall that can also get great mileage. The BFG has 3 plies in the sidewall but is only a D rating (8 ply tire). In 2nd place, is the Cooper Discoverer S/T. I personally run the Cooper Discoverer S/T's on my CTD and that's because I can choose from ANY tire in the book. The Cooper Discoverer S/T has proven to me without a shadow of a doubt that it can hold it's own in SEVERE mud conditions (I drove through a plowed field after a 4 inch rain to test the 4WD and NEVER had to TRY to get out). Now, I know there are bonafide MUD tires out there, but I'm trying to point out which tires are a good mix tire, off-road/on-road cause that's what most people do. Because of the Discoverer's wear characteristics (they wear even and very slow) their traction advantage trumps the BFG. You get a traction tire that can wear as good or better than the BFG. 3rd, we have the time tested BFG. I think enough people know this tire well enough to know if it's what they're gonna run. The 3 ply sidewall is a plus if off-road, in brushy areas, but only a D load rating in the 285 is what brings this tire to the #3 spot. There was one person that mentioned the accolades of BFG in racing, etc. That is very true but a good tire is only good when used in the right application. Beyond these, there is a log-jam of choices, but the bulk of the others don't compete with the tires above for combination of traction/mileage. In day-in & day-out performance, the 3 tires listed above are consistently the top performers in this type of application. I didn't mention several tires in the comparison above. To keep from getting an earfull I'll explain why. Toyo makes the Open Country M/T series, BFGoodrich makes the Mud Terrain, Goodyear makes the MT/R series, and Cooper makes the Discoverer STT series, but all these are all MUD terrain tires, as are Nitto Grappler M/T's, Maxxis Mudders, Procomp Xterrains, etc. If anyone is SERIOUS about running down the road and getting decent mileage from a tire, these don't fit the application. They do GREAT in the mud and off-road, but in head-to-head comparisons, they fall short on mileage, not to mention rotation schedule has to be upped to around every 5K or you run the risk of wearing the tires to the point of replacement. So, my list finishes as follows for LT285/75R16 tires in 50/50, off-road/on-road applications:
1) Toyo M55 AT (load range E rating with a 3 ply sidewall)
2) Cooper Discoverer S/T (load range D and 2 ply sidewall but GREAT traction)
3) BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO (load range D, 3 ply sidewall)
Sorry about the novel, but I do hope this helps to steer some of you in the right direction.

Last edited by LonestarCTD; 01-29-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-29-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCTD
Sorry about the novel, but I do hope this helps to steer some of you in the right direction.
No way lonestar...great info from someone that has first hand knowledge

Quick Reply: About to get tires...