Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

About to get tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to get tires...

I have a question for those that have run the BFG A/T and the Cooper Discoverer S/T. In a few days I will be getting new 285/75 16 tires in one of those. I hav heard nothing but good things about both... But a friend that has run both on the same truck swear that the Coopers are much better.

So has anyone here run both? What do you think?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM

i have not run both, but...

on my old GMC i had 35x12.5 Coopers. a friends Ford had 33x12.5 BFG A/T. i could go anywhere he went and beyond in 2wd vs. him in 4wd. this was in sloppy mud. the BFG clogged up fast and never cleaned themselves up.

whether it was the difference in trucks, size of tire, type of tire, driver, etc i could not say exactly. but a visual of the treads on a discoverer s/t vs. BFG a/t should be enough testament that they should do better in the mud.

$0.02
Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

I used coopers a couple times, liked them a lot, these look real nice, tru off road tire,
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 PM

BFG!!!! all the way
Old 01-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

bfg all the way huh? well I gotta be honest, if it weren't for the good deal you can sometimes find on H2 takeoffs I would not get them again. Why you ask? 20 thousand miles and I gotta toss 2, they lived for 15 k on the back and are now about 5k on the front and wont pass inspection, not enough tread left. sure I will chalk some of the shortened life up to the mods and heavy right foot but dang. As for the fronts that are moved to the back I have about 50% tread left. I would recomend 10 k mile rotate schedule, and re balance.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know anything about the Coopers, but I will say this about the BFG's--we had a set on a Jeep Cherokee and they were every bit as loud as my Maxxis mud tires. Jeep got stolen before we got a chance to test them in the mud hole, so not sure how they would have performed there.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:19 PM

friend runs the st's and I run the bfg a/t's and m/t's for the winter. They are similiar in all characteristics. I like how bfg's look. Whenever I buy my next set, I will buy which ever one costs less. They both are great tires. This is a true story and just want to explain. Was in Iraq for almost 500 days in 04 and this year. Middle of deployment, wife tells me someone stole my tires and wheels off truck. Make a really long story short, I wrote BFG or michelin a letter and they thanked me for what I was doing and told me when I got back, to buy a set of tires and fax them the receipt. I did and they reimbursed me for them. That is customer service. Plus, I have been happy with the tires so far. They both are great tires. Whatever brand is cheaper is what I would go with.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
Whatever brand is cheaper is what I would go with.
I can get either set for within $20...

Pretty much made up my mind now, looking like I'll be buying Coopers.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikmaze
I would recomend 10 k mile rotate schedule, and re balance.
I would rotate them a lot sooner than 10,000k on a truck.

It really makes a big difference to do them around 3k. At least it did on my truck. Once the uneven wear started they really would eat at themselves.

It should be 15 minutes at a good shop and of course its free, right?

Big Jimmy
Old 01-25-2006, 10:41 PM

I agree about the cleaning issue and tight tread pattern on the BFGs, they seem to let loose of rocks at the wrong time. The Coopers are nice and are good tires. The Toyo M/T is pretty much identical to the Cooper and possibly cheaper. But I really think you should check out the Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo. Excellant/sexy looking tire.

Tye
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 AM

I have run the Cooper Discoveries on My '99 Durango for over 4 years now, and am on my second set (35,000 plus before I replaced them). Also had Cooper's on my '95 Intrepid (2 sets at 40,000 plus). YES, I am a Dodge man, and will replace the General's on my 99 CTD DRW when they wear out. BTW, the Coopers are either #1 or #2 in aftermarket sales for replacement tires. Altho, you may think the BFG's or Goodyears hold that slot, but only because they got the contracts to put them on the new vehicles with the manufacturers.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignore this if your committed to Cooper or BFG's.... but I think the Toyo M/T are better for two reasons.
1-They max at 65 psi pressure.... others max at 50 psi. Big difference in rolling resistance and mileage.
2-I believe they make less noise on pavement.... or so I've been told!

If not familiar with the Toyo's... they are a top end, high quality tire, in the same class as your two choices.

RJ
Old 01-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Ignore this if your committed to Cooper or BFG's.... but I think the Toyo M/T are better for two reasons.
1-They max at 65 psi pressure.... others max at 50 psi. Big difference in rolling resistance and mileage.
2-I believe they make less noise on pavement.... or so I've been told!

RJ
Not comitted to either set, I have run Toyo A/T in the past, but need (want) something more aggressive this time around. What is the life like on the Toyo's? I have heard they have great mavement manners and awesome in the mud, but I need a tire that will last longer than most true mud tires... Thats what pushe me to the BFG and the Coopers.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 AM

I would personally go with the BFG tires over the Cooper S/T. I have never run the S/T's but have had two friends that have put them on their dodge pickups and they have not performed very well for them. My one buddy got no more than 20,000 miles on the S/T's. The S/T stands for snow tire, im sure you all new that but for that reason their compound is a lot softer. Up here we run gravel roads quite a bit and they definently dont help the S/T last any longer. If it was me I would run the S/T only in the winter. But just my two cents worth. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 AM

If you know any thing about tires, not the average Joe off the street, it is quite obvious which tire is better!
Hint which tire wins most offroad racing and rockcrawling events?, which tire is severe weather rated? Which tire has 3 ply sidewall and rim protector?

Quick Reply: About to get tires...