Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

97 Drop Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Drop Kit

I have a 97 single cab extended bed 2wd CTD, and was looking for a 3/4 drop kit for the truck. I have already found 3" drop coils for the fronts, but i am having a hard time finding drop leaf springs. I am not looking to shackle the leafs or take a leaf out and make it ride like ****. TIA
Old 09-10-2006, 06:59 PM

Umm,could you spring under the axle? that would give you some drop,though I'm not sure....I'm not really into dropping things...maybe hit the junkyard and see about getting some old 3/4 ton springs off something else?
Most Deisel ppl want em' skyhigh and pouring black smoke....good luck
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Hey man i have been trying to do the same thing, but with little luck. I am more interested in performance than the lowrider look. Just more stable and lower center of gravity. I havent found any thing for the rear so If you do let us know, please...Jay...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 PM

A flip kit is probably the most econmoical way of lowering the back, but you'd be looking at 7" drop or more, and I'd think you'd need to lose the overloads. If you're not willing to lose payload, maybe a 4-bar setup and bags would be the way to go. Airride Technologies has a kit for 1-tons. Adjustability certainly would be nice on a lowered truck.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 AM

Kinda looking for me too, and the "best" way I think, being I do need to keep the towing ability is the airbag setup. With a spring over, you might have to notch the frame. Not sure abot that though. Where did you find the front springs? Also maybe a spring shop can custom make a set of leafs for you or dearch your current springs.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 AM

i cut one coil from the front and dearched the rear springs on my little truck. i added a set of kyb shocks that helped the ride but it is far from smooth. i want to go with a set of bags front and rear just to be done with it and get a decent ride. you reall need to c notch the rear if you lower it very much. i did it to much the first time and it kept hitting the snubbers bad. and that was after i cut them in half. i have raised the rear about 2"s from this pic.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Here are the front springs:http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.a.../categoryid/30

Than the only thing i have found for the rear are these:
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.a.../categoryid/30

But the leaf springs do no specify what series ram they would go on.

I am really not looking for the slammed look and have a 2wd so can't go lifted. Deffinatly don't have the scratch for air ride though, i have friends that do that and it gets expensive
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
JKM

This looks like what you want:

http://www.suicidedoors.com/AirRideT...Dodge1-Ton.php

not bad on price either.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
This looks like what you want:

http://www.suicidedoors.com/AirRideT...Dodge1-Ton.php

not bad on price either.
you have to realize that this is just the rear kit, and not all the fabrication, front, and air system that you would need to finish it up. The rear kit would end up costing me about $4k when all is said and done. Trust me i have helped do bag systems on quite a few trucks and they get very labor intensive and expensive
Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by gunracer1
i cut one coil from the front and dearched the rear springs on my little truck. i added a set of kyb shocks that helped the ride but it is far from smooth. i want to go with a set of bags front and rear just to be done with it and get a decent ride. you reall need to c notch the rear if you lower it very much. i did it to much the first time and it kept hitting the snubbers bad. and that was after i cut them in half. i have raised the rear about 2"s from this pic.

Your truck looks good man, and you should know my truck. Its forrest Nearing's old 97
Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by gunracer1

Ok I really missed something, How did you get a reg cab SB?? I would love to make a street truck out of one of those. Just like yours.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 AM

took 16" out of a reg cab long bed, then another 4" or so out of the back of the frame. then i got lucky and got a short bed for 215 bucks with a tailgate from a yard.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 AM

Hey John, I looked at that mess when I owned it....

Beltech makes drop springs up front, and shackles/hangers for the back(3/4 drop I think)

Only thing was, is there is 4-5" of travel till the bumpstops out back, lowering it 4"s would be right near it, and probably bottom out quite a bit...
Might be ok with decent shocks, maybe just do shackles and dearch the leafs a bit...

I wanted it to sit as low as Fletchers ride, but only way was by going 4 link, and I didnt have the time to mess with it....
Sure does look sweet though
Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 AM

that right there is what i want to truck to look like. I would rather spend the money on the 4 link than a shakle kit. maybe if i still have the truck when i graduate and once i am making the big bucks
Old 09-27-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by blue302stang
that right there is what i want to truck to look like. I would rather spend the money on the 4 link than a shakle kit. maybe if i still have the truck when i graduate and once i am making the big bucks
Yep, I was in the same boat...
Gonna have to back half it, or C notch the frame too...

But it looks WICKED!

When you get those big bucks, put an auto in it too

Also thought about an Air bag 4 link setup, wouldnt be hard to do.

Quick Reply: 97 Drop Kit