Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

97 12valve VS. 00 24valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 12valve VS. 00 24valve

ok here it is.. i been looking into getting something more family usable because of hte little one on the way. I currently own a 00 24v with twins and the whole nine yards and there is a 97 extended cab 4x4 for sale local for 10,900... I spoke to the guy and it was owned by an old guy which explains why everything is bone stock and has only 77k miles on it. I looked under the truck and and there was NO rust at all was pretty amazed...but yeah i was thinking of buying it and use it for family truck. But then again i started to think again "man i think alot".....its a 12V...extended cab... 4x4.....stock lift....automatic.....i was thinking of doing some work to it and possably get it up to where my 00 24 valve is at... then selling the 24valve... here what im looking to find out... i dont know much about the 12 valves.. but how do i tell what the ratings are on the P-Pump i want to find out what pump it is... and then what can i do to the truck to get it to perform around what i have my 24 valve running at?.......what are some of the mods i can do first hand... i know how to beef the tranny up so ill probably be dropping it and working on it first and upgrade everything... can the stock 4x4 system take the abuse of Twins?......
Old 02-07-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It has the 180 Pump, the next best thing to the 5 speed version. Talk to John_P-you can build a TON of power in these. The 4WD's can take a lot of abuse too.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 PM

You should just give me the guys number and keep your 24V. That sounds like a good deal.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Other than the tranny it should be the same drivetrain. Rear axle should be a D70 in a 3/4 ton. P pumps will definatly make the power. Put a set of gov springs and a plate in the truck and you will wonder why you ever owned a 24 valve. My 95 is only making around 230HP and 570TQ by the plate ratings but it is the best of the two trucks to drive. I drove the stock 04.5 to work today and it reminded me how much of a dog it is even though it makes more power. I felt like that comercial for motor oil with the car dragging the anchor behind it. If one day I need to sell one of the trucks it wont be the old 12V!!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM

is it worth 10,500?????
if not how much it worth????
it has a replacement tranny i know already i recognized the gay looking purple tranny under the truck... i hate ATS trannys never had any luck with them
Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 PM

Decent deal. Avg price but a little high in my opinion. Thats what I would be looking to pay for a 5spd. Autos are typically cheaper but the ext cab brings it back up. With low milage and good shape I wouldnt feel cheated in the least. I paid $6800 for a 95 standerd cab with over 200K and a bad alt with a fair body and interior. Did you look in the classifieds by any chance?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:53 PM

The nicer kept trucks bring a little more and in my experience are gone by the time you get done hemming and hawing over the 700 dollar difference or whatever it is.
I would buy that truck out from under you in a heartbeat considering its a 12 valve, no rust etc.
I just got one similar for about that same price/condition. I am very happy with it and don't drive down the road bumming I did'nt get it for less. Being able to know how it was cared for is worth a lot IMO. Sure it would be great to have that killer deal- but thats pretty rare when the truck is nice. Sure there are stories about those deals, yet I see a lot more trucks going for not too much less with more miles, body damage, hammered interiors, construction site wear etc.

Big Jimmy
Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Storx
Speaking from my experience of owning a twinned 24v
and selling it to buy a 12vJUST DO ITif you find a nice one.
The way a tuned up P pump drives is awsome compared to the lame dogs the vps are for throttle response. Keep your twins from the 24v and land them on the 12v all you need is a new exhaust manifold. I have read some of your prior posts on trannys and would say you should just order a DTT and be done with it. Just my unbiased $.02
Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 PM

yeah... the problem is.. dodge is not big in my area.. there are 9 ford dealerships in 150 miles.. and then 3 dodge dealerships.........im tired of see powerpukes in the classafieds for sale...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
Storx
Speaking from my experience of owning a twinned 24v
and selling it to buy a 12vJUST DO ITif you find a nice one.
The way a tuned up P pump drives is awsome compared to the lame dogs the vps are for throttle response. Keep your twins from the 24v and land them on the 12v all you need is a new exhaust manifold. I have read some of your prior posts on trannys and would say you should just order a DTT and be done with it. Just my unbiased $.02

I spoke to one of the guys from DTT on trannys and he said.. that im doing everything similar to what they do.. but they run a High Dollar pump and Valve Body Combo that i just dont have the money to sink into... the price alone on the pump seperate is around 800 dollars wholesale.. and then the valve body is not all that hard to alter around.. ive taken them apart so much and drilled them to death.. haha.. but yeah the big key to the high end trannys is the pump/valvebody/drum upgrade......

ALso fo rthe question i went by the guys house again and looked at it and took it for a ride and i noticed that the seats are not vinyl.. there leather.. was this an actual stock option back then.. also the stick says the truck was built 11/1997....then i checked for the blasted 53 block and i didnt see it so im thinking it is in good shape....the guy selling it.. actually i dont know why he did this but he went from a 12valve diesel to a 06 Nissan Titan... he said his biggest problem was the tranny.. and i asked him about it.. and he brought out paperwork.. from tkaign it to the dealer.. had the TQ replaced by the dealership at 13,529 miles.. then the dealership rebuilt it at 41,270 miles.. and he bought the ATS tranny at 71k miles
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

So, your saying it's got a built tranny with only 6,000 miles on it, too. Why can't I ever find these deals. Here in my area that truck would be gone in a day. From following your posts that sounds like a great truck for you, kinda sucks not being a quad cab, the extra space is still there just a bit harder to get to. I would be out at his house with a check in the morning if I were you. Congrats on the little one too.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by big jimmy
I would buy that truck out from under you in a heartbeat considering its a 12 valve
Ahem,
where did you say this truck was...? Hate to see you pay too much for it- better let me go over there and look it over. How about while you're at worlk tomorrow???
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 PM

I agree that it sounds like a good deal. We paid a couple K more for our 97 with 117K. The best deal we could find by over $3K at the time. A friend had a 97 auto with the TST 230HP plate and it ate the trans twice. He traded it the second time at 110K for his 03. A five speed would give you the Dana 80 in the rear but you have made it work on your 00 so you should be ok.

Randy
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 PM

Sounds like a deal. I much prefer the response, and powerband of the 12 valve over the 24 valve too. Id go for it. A 24 valve is more linear with the powerband where a 12 valve will put you in the seat around 1400-1500, and keep you there until you run out of GSK

Eric
Old 02-08-2006, 07:38 AM

that truck is a steal, with those miles and a built tranny. it would pull way more money that that. if it was mine i would ask over 15k for it.

Quick Reply: 97 12valve VS. 00 24valve