Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

96 12V power help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 12V power help!!!

Hey guys nice site! I currently have a 1996 CTD 4x4 auto. On the speedo right now is 171K. The truck has 305/70/16's with 4.10's. Here is the deal
both bothers in law own both a Duramax and a Powerstoke. Both of them has quite a bit of mods done to them. Needless to say my truck feels like a slug and gets dusted when we tow are Jeep's up to the trails. All I have done to the truck is added a k&n filter and 3.5" dynomax muffler. Could you guys set me up with a basic list of what needs to be done to keep up with these boys!
Thanks Ron
Old 07-08-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A #10 plate and a 3K govenor spring kit will do wonders for your performance. Get the timing set to about 15.5 - 16. You'll be amazed at the difference in power with just these mods. You need guages to keep an eye on things like EGT's and trans temp. Much more than this and you're going to need tranny work though.

Make sure everything else like fuel pressure, valve adjustment, etc is up to snuff. Run some Stanadyne fuel conditioner though the truck to clean the injectors. Your Ford and Chevy buddies' jaws will hit the floor.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

Berner is right. A plate and GSK, with the timing bumped and you won't recognize your truck. You will need gauges, Pyro and Tranny temp at least, and it'd be nice to have a boost gauge as well. You would also need to do something about disconnecting the wastegate. A boost elbow or disconnecting the line on the back of the AFC housing would work.

There are better choices than the K&N. I speak from experience, had one, got oil on the turbo, and let dust through. And I'm not the only one that has had problems with them.

Have you tabbed the KDP? If not you might do a search and take care of that as well.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the replys guys!

OK....first thing to do..KDP!
Next #10 and 3K gov
Gauges...pyro/tranny/boost
New air filter

Valves have been adjusted twice in the last 4 years or so. How will my power compare to my buddies???

Powerstoke-Edge box 100hp/5" exhaust/afe filter/tranny upgrades
Chevy-Custom tune(crazy power),4" exhaust,filter,tranny mods...runs 13.4 at 99mph
Old 07-08-2006, 12:50 PM

i had no power when i got my truck and with a 12V you can get ALOT of power i had a #8 fuel plate (up for sale $100 shipped) more power then the #10 and that helped alot then i did the Free 3200 GSK mod with washers and had an unbelevible gain in power,and 2 weeks ago i ground my old stock fuel plate to a #100 and ill drag race any thing i can now. all in all i would recomend
1 pyro
2 trans temp
3 Valve body ( i have BD power and it works AWSOME!)
4 torque converter ( i have BD power and it works AWSOME!)
5 i went ahed a got the $414 flex plate to (heard bad things about stock ones and power)
6 full 4'' or bigger exaust
after all of that,
1 free 3200 gsk (do a search)
2 grind your fuel plate to a #100 or a #0 (do a search)
and youl leave thoes duracrap and powerjoakes in the dust
Old 07-08-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by rhino 660

i had no power when i got my truck and with a 12V you can get ALOT of power i had a #8 fuel plate (up for sale $100 shipped) more power then the #10 and that helped alot then i did the Free 3200 GSK mod with washers and had an unbelevible gain in power,and 2 weeks ago i ground my old stock fuel plate to a #100 and ill drag race any thing i can now. all in all i would recomend
1 pyro
2 trans temp
5 i went ahed a got the $414 flex plate to (heard bad things about stock ones and power)
after all of that,
This is by far the best idea for an Auto..

I have a manual, and i have my mods in the sig, i can smoke powerstrokes and duramaxes like nobodys business (if they are stock that is) WIth a mild programmer on them i can still hang with them, but my lack of air, and lack of clutch dont help me much either.... Had I an auto, that would be my perfect setup right there, straight pipe instead tho...

Rick
Old 07-08-2006, 04:43 PM

1 pyro
2 trans temp
after all of that,
This is a good start, but since they are BOMBed as well, you need more fuel.

Full built tranny and TC would be best, to hold the power. What I have is in my sig. Great product.

#100 plate (or #10 since you tow, and slide it full forward)

191, 022 or laser cut delivery valves

DDP (or similar extrude honed njectors). 370s are cheap power, but a lot more heat for the power. DDP, and others, have the correct spray pattern, which keeps the EGTs lower than the 370s. My EGTs are the same with the DDP 4s as compared to the 370s I had before, and make more power. A bit cleaner, too.

Bigger turbo. HTB2 62/12 or 62/14, oe similar.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks again for the replys! Can I still tow with the 100 plate??? What kind of times could I expect at the strip with the above mods??? The Duramax my bro in law has runs 13.4's at 99. Will mine be anywhere near that or more like 15's???
Old 07-09-2006, 08:45 AM

..... i had a #8 fuel plate (up for sale $100 shipped) more power then the #10 and that helped alot ..........
I ran a #8 before switching to a #10. The #8 did have more low end power. I could break both tires loose with about 1/2 throttle with the 8. I like the 10 more because power comes on at a bit higher RPM which gives the tranny a little more time to build up pressure. #10 plates are infinately adjustable with sliding and govenor arm adjustments. Ignore the TST chart on power ratings for the #10.

If you buy a plate kit from a vendor, it'll come with a boost elbow. You can adjust boost with the screw on the elbow. You should be able to make 30-32 psi with it set like it comes. This should be plenty. The stock turbos are good for a max of about 35 lbs. Any higher and your EGT's will start climbing. I used to make 32 lbs boost until I installed a 4" exhaust. I can hit about 38 lbs now but my EGT's start climbing from 1150-1200 to 1350+ as soon as boost climbs past 35 psi.

Be sure to mark your AFC housing and plate positions when you install the plate. Then you'll have a reference point to go from when you start sliding them around. Most guys say that about 1/16" from full forward gives the best power/performance.

Don't fall into the trap of making clouds of black smoke. It's a lot of fun but too much fuel puts out the fire (quoted from Piers). It's similar to over-carbing a gasser.

Be forewarned though. Once you start messing with these engines, you'll become addicted like the rest of us. I'm saving up my pennies for a turbo and a VB. It'll be new tires after that. And then better injectors. And then delivery valves. And then more new tires....it never ends.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by rockhog
Thanks again for the replys! Can I still tow with the 100 plate??? What kind of times could I expect at the strip with the above mods??? The Duramax my bro in law has runs 13.4's at 99. Will mine be anywhere near that or more like 15's???

The 100 is towable..

You just have to be easy on it (much easier with a manual tranny tho) With those mods. Depends what you are gonna be towin tho, if super heavy, you will need to watch the pyro alot. if its somethin in comparison to a 16 foot tag, or a two horse trailer fully loaded, not so much so...

Rick
Old 07-09-2006, 12:09 PM

I have a 0 plate in my truck and I can tow with it without any EGTs for the most part. I have to watch out on long hills. If I'm driving around 50-55 mph, I have to turn the OD off to help out EGTs and the tranny. I installed a set of injectors and hauled a load of cattle without any problems. I was in Indiana on long flat ground though. If you do have any EGTs, they're easily controlled by the right foot. You can really wake up these trucks farely easy.