Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

95 2500 4x4 what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 2500 4x4 what to do?

I bought this truck to resell. I started using it to plow and like it cause I do no worry about it.

After using it I would like to keep it I think. It has 172000k on the odometer and is on its second tranny. I like to plow with it much better than my 06 and I like the flatbed with the stakebody off.
It is bone stock and that sucks. I do not like how the tranny locks and unlocks the converter on the highway,it gives about a 3-400 rpm change and took a little bit to figure out. Is this a problem? I do like the simplicity of the whole thing over my 06.
What would be a realistic budget and mods to do to get mileage 1st and power 2nd?
What is the tranny like for reliability and what would need to be done to keep it alive to plow and tow my car trailer with?
I am a guy who used stuff hard but maintains it well. This was a JB Hunt maintenance truck that was treated the way I am going to treat it.I would like to keep it but I do not want to wrap a lot of money up in it. I have $3800 in it now and I need tires,a track bar and some little odds and ends.
I did some searching and everything points to EGTand boost guages and then fuel plate,starwheel and gov arm adjustment. I have not looked into the tranny mods yet. As best I can tell I have the hydro tranny and not the electronic.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
C2O
Banned

if you're goin to use it as a work truck dont worry about the fuel plate now. get a converter and valve body for the trans. then you might just try screwing in the aneroid just enough so you have a good pedel when you want to go, to much will just cause smoke and high temps.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Lou what's up?
You gotta bring it to one of our wrenchin days so we can turn it up a little.
Just bumping up the timing will help with economy and power, just ask Rick Bear we did it to his.
We got a couple 12v guys in the chapter that know their stuff.
Call www.goerend.com and talk to Dave, he'll steer ya in the right direction for your trans needs.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

If you mainly want milage, bump the timing, a GSK will help the drivibality, and maybe a plate. I wouldn't go to aggressive with the plate for what you want, maybe even just slide the stocker forward and see if that makes you happy.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. Scotte I think I may take you up on the tune day. I am a little intimidated by the gsk adjustment.
I think I am gonna go with a shift kit for now. I am looking at torque converters and I may go with a low stall stock 1 disc type. Any thoughts?

It looks like the shift kit will help alot. I would like not o do the converter if I do not have to. The more I read about the 12v trucks the more I like them.I just wish the doors were better(rust on bottom lip) and had better hinges.

I always wanted a flatbed with a stack
Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Chapter President

Lou you should do at least the VB now & if the TC starts to slip you can get a new one. Mine started slipping with just the EZ on the truck. Goerends sells a very nice VB and lifetime TC. I got my BD Valve Body from Jegs for about $500 i think Dave's is about the same price.
We can install it too not very hard either.
Don't get the TCI TC like i did it is too tight and runs pretty hot.
I think this weekend we are putting stacks on Travis's truck (06Diesel) and a goose neck hitch.
Come on over here to see what's up in the Chapter. Chapter 33 forum
Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 AM

hey lou, welcome. im one of the 12 valvers in the chapter and recently did my gsk and its a whole new truck. i can make you a fuel plate and adjust your star wheel, they are some of the legenday free mods on this truck. i would definately do the VB and converter before any engine mods (or at the same time). my stock converter slipped bad with just a fuel plate. after the tranny its all downhill. do a tripple disc converter so you dont have to worry about it down the road. i had a friend do my tranny and he put a billet race converter in that is a single disc and it slipps yet again and thats only with a fuel plate and gsk. do it once and do it right. the free mods will make you think you have a whole new truck ask bob (crabbelle) we did his fuel plate only when i did my gsk.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM

So I am looking at about $1700 in the tranny,guages and then the mods? I think it needs to snow alot this year so I can pay for this. I guess I can start with a valve body first and that should keep me from killin it while pushin snow with stock power.
Can the GSK help widen my power w/o upping it? Will this hurt my tranny as is. How about the converter lock up switch? Should I wait on that as well?

Ask Scotte,I have a bad rockcrawling habit to support as well as try to mod this truck.I will just have to wait to throw some power to it.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Broncolou
So I am looking at about $1700 in the tranny,guages and then the mods? I think it needs to snow alot this year so I can pay for this. I guess I can start with a valve body first and that should keep me from killin it while pushin snow with stock power.
Can the GSK help widen my power w/o upping it? Will this hurt my tranny as is. How about the converter lock up switch? Should I wait on that as well?

Ask Scotte,I have a bad rockcrawling habit to support as well as try to mod this truck.I will just have to wait to throw some power to it.
Good to see another Maryland member, Would def go with a good valve body to keep enough line pressure on your clutch packs, converter might be necessary down the road but start with a VB. Then a set of gauges to keep everthing in check. Theres a good 100hp to get out of your pump without spending a dime in parts. So only roughly $800 in parts so far. If you have any questions on them just give me a shout 410-490-6075

Thanks Brett

Last edited by dzlfarmboy; 12-07-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fix
Old 12-07-2007, 05:14 PM

http://www.htstransmissions.com/ Anyone know anything about this guy? I am thinking about his valvebody.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Broncolou
http://www.htstransmissions.com/ Anyone know anything about this guy? I am thinking about his valvebody.
Have heard nothin but good things about Dusty at HTS. And there's Suncoast and Gorend as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Chapter President

Lou there is nothing wrong with HTS Loenard (Skynard) has a flow blown race trans in his truck that we instlled . If you want o go with this VB let me know we might be able to get you a deal. Brett might be able to help out too.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:54 PM

if your doing the valve body, I'd go with some sort of deep tranny pan too while your at it. Especially if your gonna be plowing snow with the thing. It'll add more fluid capacity to your tranny and keep the temps down a little bit more. I know snowplowing can be a killer on tranny's