Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

700 km and still got fuel left !

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 700 km and still got fuel left !

I think I got my truck where it is good on fuel . but when I tow my 14' cargo trailer and I have to stop an a hill .I have to floor the skinny petal and it just takes off real slow. How do I get a little more down low rpm power. Do I turn the smoke screw in toward the block for a little more of the line speed ?

I use the cargo trailer to haul my Toro 4880 zero turn mower. The trailer weight is 2400 and I bet the mower is around 600 lb (a guess ) . But I thing the truck should haul that starting off on a hill with less trouble than it does .

Turning the smoke screw in gives a quick bottem end ??? is that correct ? Help
Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Turning the smoke screw in towards the block gives a quick bottom end power ??? is that correct ? Help
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends. How much smoke do you have now? How tight is your torque converter?

Piers Harry of PDR fame told me once that too much fuel at low RPM might put the fire out.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by berner
It depends. How much smoke do you have now? How tight is your torque converter?

Piers Harry of PDR fame told me once that too much fuel at low RPM might put the fire out.
I get a little hazing when in trailer tow I punch the skinny petal at a stop sign.So
I don`t know what is best . I though I would try and move the smoke screw and see what happens.; just wanted to know which way to turn the screw to get more bottom end grunt with out doing any damage to the engine. Thanks for your reply .
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn the top of the starwheel towards towards the engine. It will move it forward. Lots of guys loosen the housing bolts and slide it forward if they can't get the starwheel forward enough. Don't worry, you won't do any damage.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 AM

berner

Thanks for that info. I need to find someone down here in Nova Scotia that knows about my truck engine to set it up for me. The truck works great now ; I have a trip planned with my fiver for next May to go across Canada and back.I need to install a trans cooler and exhaust brake in the early spring. Should be a great trip . no plans as to where we are staying when or how long. Should be a great time. Thanks Don T