Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

'51 Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys, after checking several sites regarding the T56, I don't believe it can be built to handle 4 gigit torque values....at least no reliably. Though I like handshakers in hotrods, a well built auto may be the answer. If the 5600 wasn't so darn heavy and large, and the first gear ratio could be altered, I would consider it as well. But all those factors take engineering this truck to a new level.

smokin five9...Yes the intercooler will fit up front, and is the route I have decided to take. A lot of plumbing to the rear makes for a lot of air volume. This will delay intake pressure more than I want, as well as create one heck of a surge when the throttle is snapped shut. A large BOV would help, but I don't see the point, being that it will fit up front no prob. I will still rear mount the radiator though. I think a custom intercooler will be the way to go. At 75 psi, the factory cooler may not be as efficient as I need. Building another IC will be no big deal when in relation to the scope of this project anyway, then I can design it to fit and function exactly where it will be, rather than fit a factory one to the truck.

clarkoh....I had a shot at 3 of those power wagons when I was in Phoenix for $3000 entire lot!! I slept on it though because of freight issues to AK......when I woke up they were gone. Too bad, I really missed the boat on those. Stay in touch on the project though, we are similair in a lot of issues. I am going to rebuild the firewall to pull the engine back....better weight transfer as well as front end weight. This will leave the intercooler with more breathing room as well.

storx....cool project. I love seeing outside the box projects....even better, ones that can't be reproduced easily for mass market!! Hence the reason for MY project as well. There just aren't many of these B trucks around anymore.....both a curse and a blessing so to speak. I really doubt there will many with 6BT's in them as well.....not many are crazy enough i suppose

So as of late, I am bidding on a wrecked '01 H.O. 6sp truck. It went around the first time with no bids and was re-listed. If the insurance company accepts my bid, I will have killed two birds with one stone. I finish the conversion in my full size to 6sp with all the donor parts I need. And I also get the engine and other misc parts for the '51. A 24 valve.....I will rid the engine of the electronics though and P-pump it. Jury is still out on the front suspension. I have several oulets sharpening a pencil for me on a coilover conversion with heavy enough springs to cradle the mill, yet allow a good spring rate for the weight transfer needed as well as steering control. So far the trick has been factoring in the amount of frame twist experienced by the extreme amount of torque that is going to be generated. The front suspension must deal with this. While I am no suspension geometry guru, I am hoping for some experienced opinions in this neighborhood. What do you think 600megawatts? Is it an issue or not? Looks like you have a frame twister...how is your car's track manners when the skinny pedal's to the boards?