Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

'51 Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'51 Dodge

Starting a new project.....I bought a '51 Dodge 5 window p/u.....and of course, you know I'm putting a 12 valve into it. Conversion will be easy, though I will remote locate the intercooler and radiator due to the somewhat narrow front end. It weighs 4K right now, but I have plans on making molds off the existing front clip and doing a one piece lift off out of glass. Same with the bed.....fiberglass, with no bed floor, so that I can build some air grabbers to feed the air to air components. I'll back half it with a narrowed coil over rear chassis. I'll crossmember the frame and build in a rollage for more rigidity I'd be happy if after the engine and glass work, it weighs in somewhere between 3 and 4K. Target horsepower will be in the 650-700 range #2 and meth. The biggest challenge facing me will be finding a front suspension to handle the weight, but not be too heavy itself. It'll be a straight liner, and I'll want to keep it simple, like keeping an I-beam of some sort and soft leafs for good weight transfer/steering control. Unless there is a good coilover that will handle the weight without having to do too much engineering.

Anyway, any thoughts on this project would be appreciated as always, and of course once it's done and along the way I'll post pics and updates.

Thanks guys.

Chris
Old 07-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good...

Based on the sheer magnitude of such I project, I pray that God be with you.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:08 AM

Ah! that going to be a good chellenge.

Now worse than who ever did my 1951 ****** Jeep with a 350 CID 4 bolt mains and auto trans. The only design problem they did on my Jeep is the radiator is too small... It heats up in the summer.

Pics of this are in my gallery...
Old 07-09-2005, 06:12 PM

Chris, I'm very interested in this project. You have a site you'll be posting updates to?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

I'll be posting here on this thread as well as putting images in the gallery. Subscribe to the thread to not lose track of it. I'm working on a mock-up of what I want it to look like with paint shop pro...I may post it to see how you like it.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by got...DIESEL?
I'll be posting here on this thread as well as putting images in the gallery. Subscribe to the thread to not lose track of it. I'm working on a mock-up of what I want it to look like with paint shop pro...I may post it to see how you like it.
I'm setup... I waiting to see what you got...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:52 AM

yea. same here. now hurry.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 AM

I have a 50 ****** pickup with a built SBC and I put an aluminum racing radiator, the biggest one that would fit between the fenders and it still heats up in the summer with an electric fan and a mechanical flex fan!!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Banned

yeah, the engine bay is a bit narrow, tho wider than a PW. I am going to remote mount the IC and Rad in the bed...along with a 10 gal fuel cell, a 4d batt and anything else I can put over the rear axle for weight. The narrowed rear end with pro-stock size rubber I hope will be enough to harness it.

Here's the rough idea of what I want it to looke like.......I doctored a stock '51 in paint shop pro...this vehicle doesn't exist yet.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:55 PM

does look heavily doctored.

This will be interesting. Do you have most of what you need or are you still collecting parts?

a 51 in Alaska? was it hard to find?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stacks will look very cool on it
Old 07-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Banned

Gotta have the stacks.....

Don't have everything I need.....starting from scratch. Loking for a 12V donor truck (pref 2X) for the eng, trans, mounts, IC, rad and all the other misc stuff. I had this truck several years ago, and it hasn't changed one bit. Gave $500 for it and it has no real rust...just a few surface spots from where the old paint peeled. Looking fo a good donor I-beam and light, but stiff monoleaf springs for the front. Finding a narrow one to support the weight might be tricky, and I might just have to narrow one up. Haven't decided on a rear end yet, but it'll also be narrowed and hung on a CE coil over rear narrowed clip.

I'll be selling the flathead and trans...runs great BTW, as well as TWO original radiators, the running gear, steering assembly, and all other misc parts that some other resto guy might be into. There won't be much original stuff left onboard. I would restore it, but parts are not easy to come by, and this one's gone too far for it. So why not build a hotrod. After I take molds off of all the sheetmetal, I will have all the body parts minus the cab for sale as well.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Muted User

Now this is a friggin cool project. As for the front suspension, I would go with a coilover setup. Although you may not find stiff enough springs in the automotive world, you can always get any spring, just about any rate and height from a spring manufacturer. Use a Koni or Lamb coilover, but then purchase a spring straight from a spring manufacturer. To determine the proper spring rate, you need to know your front end weight. You can guestimate, but why not build it, block the front end and get a hold of a circle track guy and borrow his scales. Then you can nail the front end spring rates and purchase only one set of springs the first time and be happy.

KP
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

Good Idea....I can weigh the front end no prob.....was thinking coil over, but never dealt with one to know the geometry layout. I guess it can't be too hard. It would handle a lot better......gonna be a cement truck anyway with that burner in the front end.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What are you going to use for a rear end?. With a CTD that could be putting out 1300 - 1500 ft/lbs, you will need something VERY strong. This level of torque and the weight of the truck will make even a D60 seem marginal and a 9" out of the question (IMO). I would look into building yourself a narrowed D80. Or maybe try and find yourself a Lenco?.....but I doubt you will find a good gear ratio for one of those?

This will be a cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I have dreamed about building a short box reg. cab 2WD street/drag CTD....something that could show just how quick a CTD could really go.

Quick Reply: '51 Dodge