Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

#5 plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
There is no reason why a stock 12cm HX35 won't perform well up to 35 psi.....anything much past that is overspeeding but it will certainly perform fine and not compromise the durability of the turbo. Even stock HO's run HX35's up to 26 psi.....
I worked with the guy (Randy Hill) that set up the assemble line of the turbos. When he found out that I was running over 25psi he said that the turbo was not able to handle the speed and would blow.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by johnsjas
I worked with the guy (Randy Hill) that set up the assemble line of the turbos. When he found out that I was running over 25psi he said that the turbo was not able to handle the speed and would blow.
I don't know about that. Just because he is the guy putting them together doesn't mean he is the engineer that designed them. Not to take away from the gentlemans knowledge but the 35 maps out at 36-37 psi. It will be safe to run it at that PSI. At 10k feet it may not like 37 psi too much.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Muted User

speaking of problems, a buddy of mine has 94 2500 auto, we moved the starwheel all the way forward, afc hosuing all the way forward and a #0 plate all the way for ward. Now one would think that you would have 10 ton of smoke BUT he aint got any. what would cause this? He want s smoke nothing else, well maybe power, but smoke like theres no tomorrow. but it wont smoke even if we clog the air filter still nothing. it is really confusing and i am the diesel kid in my school and everyone is starting to rethink it and i dont want that.

Thanks
Cody
Old 11-13-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cumminsdieselboy
speaking of problems, a buddy of mine has 94 2500 auto, we moved the starwheel all the way forward, afc hosuing all the way forward and a #0 plate all the way for ward. Now one would think that you would have 10 ton of smoke BUT he aint got any. what would cause this? He want s smoke nothing else, well maybe power, but smoke like theres no tomorrow. but it wont smoke even if we clog the air filter still nothing. it is really confusing and i am the diesel kid in my school and everyone is starting to rethink it and i dont want that.

Thanks
Cody
I was told by a bully dog dealer that you can go to far forward on the star wheel. I think it is like a cam and starts over but I am not sure. I have a number 4 plate with it slid forward and left the star wheel alone. I also have 220+ hp injectors and mine smokes a lot. Try installing new injectors for more smoke and power. Why it doesnt smoke now confueses me.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Muted User

yea i know installing different injectors would do something but it should smoke now. i has no smoke even preboost. It just dont make any sense to me. Also would 215 injectors be a good upgrade from 160 like the pump is? I am new to 12 valves but i know what the screw and plate are suppose to do. What is really weird is we ground a #100 Plate first but we thought for more smoke we'd grind it more to a #0 but it made less smoke and no real power difference. It actually smoked with the #100 but not the #0 which is suppose to smoke worse i just dont get it. Any other ideas? If 215 injectors will work for that does anyone have any for sale or know where i can getem cheap?

Thanks
Cody
Old 11-13-2005, 07:39 PM

For some reason I still make alot of boost with my stock plate is stock position (25 lbs).

As for your tranny dont expect it to last too long. I had a rebuild about 10k miles before I did my 10 plate and it lasted about another 10k miles before it started to slip. Which is why my stock plate is back in.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:43 PM

And Cummins how in the hell do you have both those trucks and only 16?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:00 PM

IF your buddy has a stock tranny I would not expect it to last long with the fueling you are trying to dump at it.

As far as the no smoke, make sure the AFC is functioning as it should. Check to make sure the gov. arm is adjusted properly. I'm betting it is one or the other, or both.

This is assuming everything else is in check. Like the FP is what is should be (bad LP, OF valve, FSS issue, or clogged fuel filter).
Old 11-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Muted User

well i know he is gonna need a new tranny he even knows that. The two trucks are not mine they are my parent's but i do all the work to them. I know alot about thses trucks but this is confusing, so far no one has no idea on why it is not smoking thats all i care about right know.

Cody
Old 11-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cumminsdieselboy
so far no one has no idea on why it is not smoking thats all i care about right know.
I just gave you a few suggestions? You either have a fuel delivery problem or a problem with the governor arm and/or AFC.

I guess one other thing which I guess is stating the obvious but you need to put a load on the engine to get the truck to smoke. The stock trannies are sloppy so I don't think I would expect much smoke until lockup and even then if the TCC is slipping the smoke may not be that great.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:11 PM

Yea especially with only a plate. Get him a lock up switch, bog it down and foot to the floor will make a nice cloud for blocks.

But found out alot of people got with this.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Muted User

How do you do the lockup switch. he is interested in doing it. Is there another post with instructions or what. Rhino, I saw your post after i wrote that sorry. We moved the plate in the middle and know it smokes a little more but still not alot. With the lockup switch will that keep it in whatever gear your in like 3rd and locked up while going really slow then just mashing it? Just a few questions.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:29 PM

Unless your friend has money to spend on a tranny rebuild do not install a lockup switch.

Going slow locked in 3rd and mashing the pedal with a #0 plate will tear up the stock TCC.