Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

#5 plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#5 plate

I just recently installed a tst #5, and was wondering what the best boost setting i should run for optium performance because right now my boost guage only reads about 14 psi. Its still in the stock position, and another question I have is will there be more smoke if i push it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way forward. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:12 PM

someones gotta have some idea...come on guys.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't have any experience with that specific plate, but I would think you would want upwards of 25 psi. What are your max. EGTs? They must be high. I would up the boost before pushing the plate forward any.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 AM

If you are running a stock turbo I would not go more than 25psi. I ran my stock with 40psi for about a week before it went out. I am running a stage 4 plate from bully dog, slid foward all the way, but I dont think that they are too different.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RedRider
I just recently installed a tst #5, and was wondering what the best boost setting i should run for optium performance because right now my boost guage only reads about 14 psi. Its still in the stock position, and another question I have is will there be more smoke if i push it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way forward. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.
I ran a #5 plate slide just about all the way forward , making around 32 psi with the boost fooler elbo you get with the cam plate from TST. You can adjust you AFC to get better turbo response and little more smoke. Chris
Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsjas
If you are running a stock turbo I would not go more than 25psi. I ran my stock with 40psi for about a week before it went out. I am running a stage 4 plate from bully dog, slid foward all the way, but I dont think that they are too different.
There is no reason why a stock 12cm HX35 won't perform well up to 35 psi.....anything much past that is overspeeding but it will certainly perform fine and not compromise the durability of the turbo. Even stock HO's run HX35's up to 26 psi.....
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 AM

i ran my hx 35 out to 42 psi for over 60k miles, but 35to 38lbs seems to be the sweet spot.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like mike and everyone else here said

Run that sucker.. it is engineered for up to 35 Lbs max, anything over that is just hot air going into the engine, But it will hold up, I peg my 30 lbs boost mercilessly even with that goofy banks plate in my ride, and so far the turbo hasnt been killed (yet... ) 30-40 lbs seems to be a safe zone for these, anything too extreme above that (IE 50 and so forth) u risk massive damage to your turbo, possible grenading...

as far as your plate goes. Run it in different positions, its a trial and error type of agenda as far as getting the power, smoke, and boost levels that you can deal with. Also make sure to adjust your governer arm, as well as your starwheel as a fine tune for the smoke control..

The simplest explanation for this is, you push the plate forward, you will add more fuel, which equals to more smoke on the lower end, that is where your adjustments will come in.

Tx
Old 11-11-2005, 04:59 PM

sweetness, thanks everyone. My questions for now have been answered.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:01 PM

No one has offered me an explanation as to how to adjust my wastegate on my HX35.. I hit 42PSI daily.. I need to crank it down a bit. Suggestions?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by RedRider
Did you install the boost elbow? 14 psi says you did not or have a serious boost leak.
Did you slide the AFC housing forward?
Did you check the governor lever position?

Do not expect a stock tranny to last long
Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around
Did you install the boost elbow? 14 psi says you did not or have a serious boost leak.
This is what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. I cannot believe someone did not mention it sooner.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:55 PM

yeah thats the thing, my boost elbow should be here on monday, the guy i bought it from gave me his old stock one because he is using his adjustable one. My afc housing is in the stock position, as with the plate because i want to put the new elbow in before i slide them forward any. But another question: does the stock turbo only put out 14 psi with everything else being stock, because i thought it should be about 20 or 22?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:29 PM

RedRider
I believe autos run about 18-19 psi boost. Manuals run up a little higher (more stock fueling).
14 does seem a bit low and you may have a boost leak after the disassemble and re-assembly process. Check the boots, clamps, & intake manifold for leaks.

Once you get a boost elbow installed, start with the plate in stock position, but move the AFC housing forward and run the star wheel forward. The AFC will limit fueling unless re-set.
Check your smoke levels at that point.
If you want to slide the plate forward you need to check the governor lever.
http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechLeverAdj.htm

Bobcat698
You probalby need better boost control than an elbow and adjusting the wastegate mechanism is really touchy. Perhaps, try a real boost controller or TurboMaster.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:05 AM

thanks fueling around. ill let you know what happens when i put the new elbow on and adjust everything else where i want it to be. plus i need to replace the gasket between the air intake and the air heater, something happened awhile ago and burnt it up, buti didnt know it burnt up until i took the intake off so i think i may be losing some boost pressure there to. thanks again
-Gary

Quick Reply: #5 plate