Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which 5" lift...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which 5" lift...

I've done some research, and it seems all I find is lifts for 3rd gens, wow there are a lot of them out there! A lot of people say to piece one together, but I don't really know what sites to look at, most of them are just full kits, or don't have too much information. I've done some research, and the local lift shop near me thinks that Fabtech is probably the best lift they can get to me for a decent price, it looks nice and all but I've read that you have to modify the front drive shaft, I'm not wanting to do this. Any input from people with experience or a lift they like? thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have not lifted my dodge yet but i have lifted many vehicles over the years. i would say anything over 4-5" and you will have to modify your front driveshaft, possibly get longer brake lines, and will very likely pick up a little shudder from the rear when accelerating due to the angle of the rear driveshaft. they make a kit to fix the drive shaft angle on the rear. go buy your self a 4wheeler or petersons 4 wheel and off road magazine. you will be able to find just about every lift you can imagine for your truck in the adds there. so you know there is a used 4.5 " lift for sale on here in the classifieds section. might be jsut what your llooking for. he should be able to tell you if he had to change anything to run it also.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 AM

My Skyjacker kit was completely bolt on. The only thing I had to modify was my carrier bearing. I had to make a drop down bracket of about 5 inches. But you won't have that problem because you have a short bed. Other than that little ordeal, I've been very happy with it. I run 38" tires(a little fender massaging was in order) on mine, but I would recommend 36" be the max if you do any off roading. I plan on body lifting mine 3" so I can go off roading again. The 38's allow no room for flex. Anyway, check out www.topguncustomz.com They have everything you could want.
Later,
Tommy
Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Location: Ordered to Elizabeth City NC. rather be back in north Idaho
Sometimes the folks who sell kits for trucks don't list them online or in magazines; they only list the ones for the brand new trucks out there or the really common older trucks and jeeps. If you call them they'll probably have kits for older trucks they just don't bother listing them.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Fabtech is it if you just wanna go for 5 inches, I looked for a long time, most companies Superlift, Skyjacker, Rough Country, Rock Crawler they all, only offer 4.5 lifts for our trucks . I have been planning on lifting my truck for years but was waiting for the warranty to run out. I was going to go with Skyjacker, then Rock Crawler(they stopped making our kit) but I heard so many bad and good stories about Skyjacker I choose another. Then it was Fabtech but then I saw the RCD lift kit that is 6 inches I choose that after a very reputable shop advised me on them. I got mine from TopGun customz on ebay lol. The kit retailed for 1800 and I got it for 1100. Now they say no driveline mods are needed but for my own piece of mind Im clocking my t-case with the Skyjacker t-case ring. It also says longer brake lines are not needed but once again I went with longer stainless steel ones. My feelings on the kit, well I cant say I had it all blasted and powder coated to match my truck so I should be installing it this weekend. The instructions I can tell you are POOR at best. The track bar relocation brackets are JUNK (but most companies are so this is a wash) do yourself a favor and get a Thuren track bar this what our trucks should of came with, also I didnt care for the rear lift in this kit at all, add a leaf and blocks, (again this is how most companies raise the back of our trucks) so I had Deaver Springs make me a custom set of springs so I should have to run no blocks at all,(again these were not cheap, but I installed a full set of these on my friends f250 and it was the smoothest spring lifted truck I had ever ridden in, so it was worth the extra money). I also went with a Fabtech dual front shock brackets IMO the best looking dual front shock set up for our trucks, and once again not cheap compared to the others its alittle more than doubled in price. For shocks I choose Bilstien 7100's way expensive but worth it or so Ive been told, like most things you get what you pay for. I had my truck specifically built for me from Dodge and I dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon so spending my cash on top quality parts was not a concern, I want something to ride nice, look good and perform when needed. You have alot of cheaper routes you can take so its up to you on what you wanna spend, was just telling you my story with lifting my truck hope it helped
Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

flynhigh205 please post some pictures of your truck after you get done with it if you could,sounds sweet, and I bet it will look even sweeter.

Thanks

Roan
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by flynhigh205
Fabtech is it if you just wanna go for 5 inches, I looked for a long time, most companies Superlift, Skyjacker, Rough Country, Rock Crawler they all, only offer 4.5 lifts for our trucks . I have been planning on lifting my truck for years but was waiting for the warranty to run out. I was going to go with Skyjacker, then Rock Crawler(they stopped making our kit) but I heard so many bad and good stories about Skyjacker I choose another. Then it was Fabtech but then I saw the RCD lift kit that is 6 inches I choose that after a very reputable shop advised me on them. I got mine from TopGun customz on ebay lol. The kit retailed for 1800 and I got it for 1100. Now they say no driveline mods are needed but for my own piece of mind Im clocking my t-case with the Skyjacker t-case ring. It also says longer brake lines are not needed but once again I went with longer stainless steel ones. My feelings on the kit, well I cant say I had it all blasted and powder coated to match my truck so I should be installing it this weekend. The instructions I can tell you are POOR at best. The track bar relocation brackets are JUNK (but most companies are so this is a wash) do yourself a favor and get a Thuren track bar this what our trucks should of came with, also I didnt care for the rear lift in this kit at all, add a leaf and blocks, (again this is how most companies raise the back of our trucks) so I had Deaver Springs make me a custom set of springs so I should have to run no blocks at all,(again these were not cheap, but I installed a full set of these on my friends f250 and it was the smoothest spring lifted truck I had ever ridden in, so it was worth the extra money). I also went with a Fabtech dual front shock brackets IMO the best looking dual front shock set up for our trucks, and once again not cheap compared to the others its alittle more than doubled in price. For shocks I choose Bilstien 7100's way expensive but worth it or so Ive been told, like most things you get what you pay for. I had my truck specifically built for me from Dodge and I dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon so spending my cash on top quality parts was not a concern, I want something to ride nice, look good and perform when needed. You have alot of cheaper routes you can take so its up to you on what you wanna spend, was just telling you my story with lifting my truck hope it helped

Thanks for the info, I wasn't thinking of lifting my truck, I bought a dual shock mount bracket from topguncustomz, and shocks for it, also bought the skyjacker dual steering stabilizer kit, and the thuren 3" lift track bar, I was going to install it all, but with my tires being so wide I can't get them to quit fit without rubbing, I can turn lock to lock, but hte second I hit hte brake or go up to driveway they rub, and its annoyed me enough, so I want to clear it I'm sure a 4.5 lift would work, I have 3" leveling kit on it right now, and I think I'd need at least an inch more, so I guess if I did that i'd have to get the thuren 5" track bar, longer shocks and decide on a lift kit, I've also heard good, and bad about skyjacker, some praise them and say they are the best, others hate them, so I dunno, I've thought a lot about hte RCD one, seems good for the money, but I dunno, anyone else have some input?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 PM

I had a skyjacker on my 99' it was a terrible kit, missing parts, horrible ride, just sucked. Tuff country not so good ( long story) I went w/ a Fabtech on my new truck and can honestly say it rides better than stock. Your also in luck because if I remember right your front drive shaft dosent turn all the time like the 2001 and up trucks so t-case clocking should not be necessary unless you spend all day in 4 wheel drive. Post some pics when shes done!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Seems like fabtech is the way to go then, I could always clcok the t-case, not exactly familiar with what that means, but I could always find out, thanks for the input thus far.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:43 AM

i've done a couple here. i use a bds 4.5" long arm kit. i then put some 2" coil spacers on it and a 2" block with replacement leafs for the rear. works out **** nice. big lift. cheap price. i retail them out up here at 2800 but down south in the states i bet you could get closer to 2000 and thats with a long arm kit.

oh and then 600 for the high angle driveshaft.