Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

5-inch exhaust on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5-inch exhaust on Ebay?

What do you guys think of those exhaust systems that are sold on eBay? (They are a lot cheaper compared to DPP's and others.) Am I getting what I pay for? Here's an exhaust sold on EBay: Item number: 2429887284 . Please let me know what you guys think of this exhaust. Should I spend the extra $100 for the other systems? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:10 AM

Re:5-inch exhaust on Ebay?

i have bought 2 of them, one for me and on for a friend. you have to trim it in a couple of place to fit different wheelbase rigs but went together pretty goood. we had to cut it right before and after the muffler to get it to fit on my ex cab 3500 and his excab short bed 2500. it is a tight fit to put the 5" in and you need to measure to make it clear. but i would do it again. it was a good deal for the money. mike
Old 09-02-2003, 12:28 PM

The picture looks like the same one sold by BigExhaust.com

Rick
Old 09-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, and no offense to Mark Craig at DPP or others....but I don't understand why several pieces of bent pipe with a muffler and a few hangers costs $500+. I'd love to run the system from DPP on my truck, but when I look at the price compared to the materials you get I just don't see why the cost is so high. I could see it maybe if they installed it for you....but that's a self install kit. I mean.....what, we're talking 20 feet of pipe (maybe), a muffler, a stainless tip and a few hangers. Why so pricey?? ???
Old 09-02-2003, 04:33 PM

Boy, I've got to agree with Hoss on this one. I've got no problem spending good money for good quality, but the prices some people get for these stainless or even the aluminized exhaust systems seem way out there. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, even if that doesn't seem to quiet the sucking sound in my wallet.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:36 PM

James gives Hoss a towel around his shoulders, squirts some water on his hair and then in his mouth, and advises him that when the Muffler guys come out of the corner spouting R&D and trying to punch low and all...Counter with the OLE' 1-2 "we do your R&D for free AND compare your competitors rt here in this format on this website.....

OH YEAH and tell em how RIGHT YOU ARE!!!!

That'll knock em out
Old 09-02-2003, 04:59 PM

Just a couple of point.

1) The DPP comes with a stailess tip that I bilieve is around $50 tp replace? Mark told me once cause I bent mine.

2) The DPP has all the bracket prewelded to the pipe, not a bunch of extra hangers with brakets on them.

3) their is no cutting needed

I have found many times that you get what you pay for on alot of stuff. Either system will work fine I am sure. But their are some differences their that make of that $100
Old 09-02-2003, 05:40 PM

I just ordered a 5inch from Ebay. I forgot the company, but they're out of Oklahoma. Talked them for a minute or two, and i'm pretty happy with the knowledge they had. Me personally, if I can get an exhaust for $200 cheaper if I have to cut a piece and put on the clamps, I'm all for it. Don't really need a stainless tip either, but if I had the extra money, it'd be nice. I've talked to 3 or 4 muffler places around here, and the reason they all give me as to why the materials are relatively cheap, but the finished product is high is because of the cost of the tubing bending machine. They run at least a few thousand $$, and most places have 2 or more. Also, there is a bit of time involved in bending the pipe to fit without hitting anything.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:08 PM

yeah a madrel bender for a 5 in pipe is something around the 5 grand mark, so if you do 13-14 you have it all paid for no prob. and im sure its all mass produced anyway. they bend 5 or so of the same piece at a time. so its not so costly for labor
Old 09-03-2003, 10:59 AM

I sell several different exhaust systems. You do get what you pay for. Some folks are particular and like the welded hangers, stainless tip and a good fit that makes for an easy install. The others are fine for other folks, that don't mind doing some cutting and like to save a little money. I personally am glad that we have so many choices. I remember when everyone thought that Banks was the only company that made any aftermarket diesel systems.
www.westtexasturbodiesel.com
Old 09-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no problem with the "you get what you pay for" statement....but I guess to me, I DO want to get what I pay for....and to ME, personally, spending $500 to $600 and getting 20 feet of bent pipe with welded brackets, a muffler and stainless tip...and then installing it myself....is NOT getting what I pay for. It's getting LESS than I pay for. I know the equipment cost for bending pipe is probably high....but not so high that I'd believe that's the only reason for such pricey exhaust systems.

Anyway...no offense to the muffler guys. It's nothing against them. As I said, I'd LOVE to run a DPP exhaust on my truck....or many other systems....but not for what they're asking for them these days.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:18 PM

There are lots of things that give me the same feeling (mainly electronics). I think the real problem lies in that no one is going to tool up do R&D and market a product that they cannot make money on. Some folks have built thier own exhaust systems.
Chace
Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Banned

first of all why would anyone hear want 5 inch exhaust.....

1) its quieter than a 4"

2) turbo boost wont go up as fast and 1 psi lower than 4"

3) everything is in the way

SADNESS :
Old 09-03-2003, 07:16 PM

first of all why would anyone hear want 5 inch exhaust.....

1) its quieter than a 4"

2) turbo boost wont go up as fast and 1 psi lower than 4"

3) everything is in the way
I'm not disagreeing with this yet, but you're going to have to give some facts for #1&#2
Old 09-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Chapter President

Hoss, You are right that is a lot of money for exaust, but most of the high $ systems fit right and are an easy install. On my truck from behind the down pipe back I have custom exaust. The guy who owned the truck before me had it put on. Either he had a lot of time in doing the tailpipe or someone got paid good to do it. The tailpipe is made of formed peices like you can get at a truck parts place. It is all welded up and looks nice. If the guy did it himself I'm sure he saved money, but it would take longer than to buy a ready to install kit(even if you have to cut the kit in a place or two). I guess it would be do you want to save money or time?

Quick Reply: 5-inch exhaust on Ebay?