Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

5" exhaust...how loud...straight piped??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5" exhaust...how loud...straight piped??

Well as you can tell by my sig I have a 3" straight, with a 5" tip. Found a 5" tailpipe from Rip Rook...thanks to ya'll here at DTR. How loud is a 5" straight pipe from turbo out the rear? Much louder than the 3" or just a deeper sound? I know my mods don't justify a 5" with stock ponies but was just curious as to the sound level differences. I'm still looking at the 5" tailpipe though, just the 5" tip made a difference in how it sounds......but you do a little and then you get used to it and you want more....anybody else have this problem?? Going from big single turbo then find you want twins?? There ain't nobody on this site with that kind of problem is there??
Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Well you can see my exshaust from my sig, I had it straight piped and truly dropped 220 degrees on my egt but it was too loud when I added a muffler it got alot better but I gained about 150 degrees back. It will be louder but the good part is it will be quiet when up to speed on the freeway I can't even hear it then. And you might drop some egt degrees. I am going to add twins eventually but I am going to use the turbo I already have for my first.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Its pretty loud, but one word sums it up... LOTS'A DRONE!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

it's loud, but it sounds SWEET!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM

I have 5 inch straight pipe and it is ignorant loud!! But the thing I found out, you dont realize how loud it is sitting in the driver's seat. But take it thru an underpass or down a street with lots of buildings close to the road, and believe me, your ears will be ringing, not to mention everyone elses ears and moods on the sidewalks!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
RJF

It's a lot louder and a lot deeper, but mainly deeper. I think 5" strait is too loud, I have the MBRP kit with their muffler and it's plenty loud.

What also makes a big difference is the amount of air and fuel you run through it. With my Juice it gets much nastier and droney on level 5 an 6.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I switched to the 5'' stack, I found the sound to be a lot more mellow....straight 3'' is just downright 'ratty' sounding. 5'' is mellow-er, but extremely loud. Having said that, I keep my windows down just to listen
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM

Mine is loud enough that I will let off when a cop is around. I do worry alittle bit when Im in town. Mine has a loud whistle out the pipe from the turbo even at idle. If your worried about how loud it is, I wouldnt do it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 PM

Its not bad, lil drone when going by concrete barriers and under bridges, etc, but not bad on the highway(why I had a 5" straight pipe for a bit and took my stacks off) BUT it didnt last more than a month, cant give up the sweet sweet sound of the stacks!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 PM

Im straight piped and Ill usually Idle through the gears around cop cars..

Ill eventually go bigger with double straight through mufflers.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 PM

Youll have a tough time finding a full 5 inch system,most downpipes are 4 inch then 5 from there.I run a straight pipe from turbo to 6 inch mitres.I can drive normally around and keep it quiet if I want.Once you hammer on it and some fuel goes through there it is insanely loud.It is so loud with the windows opened that it vibrates my chest alot.But I would never put a muffler on it.My buddy has a 5 inch with a muffler and it is really loud when he wants too.I think it really makes no difference when you are driving around non shallont.If youve got a wife and kids it may be a little loud for them while towing or something under load.oh yeah in between buildings or in a tunnel it is real loud!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Chapter President

Well, after yesterdays experience.....I think I might just go as far as the 5" tailpipe and leave the 3" straight. I pulled into a high end luxury car dealer yesterday to talk to the SM about collecting their scrap. I drove past a parking space and found it was where I needed to be. So I backed up and put it in second to pull in the space. There were some lady's walking across in front of me, about 20' ahead, so I let out on the clutch and it did it's bark thing out the exhaust, echoed off the building and out of the corner of my eye I see these poor lady's scrambling for the curb. Scared the daylights out of them......it was funny...however, I realized that with the dealers I am going to I don't want customers to complain about that LOUD red truck that comes around. So, I think my limit will be the 5" tailpipe, thanks for all the info, sounds like it would be way to loud for what I do and the people I interact with while collecting scrap.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:52 PM

Straight pipe

Are there any long term effects to straight pipes? How does that effect back pressure? Reason I asked is because my muffler rusted at the tailpipe, and I wanted to just run a straight pipe from the first canister? out. Has anybody done anything like this, what would be the pros and cons? I'm not worried about the loud noise at all. The louder it is, the faster they'll get outta my way!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 PM

The con of straight piping a truck is that will mileage will go down. You keep your foot in it more because the exhaust sounds too good not to. If you can ever get past a heavy right foot, your mileage may increase and your EGTs will decrease.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 PM

I have the 5 inch with a straight through muffler...its pretty loud. Forget about trying to talk to someone with your truck running at idle. Putting around its not too bad....get into it and everyone will know it

Quick Reply: 5" exhaust...how loud...straight piped??