Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

5" Exhaust with 6" Tips, and E-Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5" Exhaust with 6" Tips, and E-Brakes

Hi, i've been checking out this forum for a few months and it's just about the best i've seen so far. I dont have a diesel now, but when I graduate HS in may i'm gonna buy me a 3500 HO 6spd 4x4. I'm trying to get an idea of what i'm gonna do performance wise and get an idea of what it is gonna cost me. So, let me get to my first 2 questions. I would like to put 5 inch dual exhaust(y-ed out of course cause you cant put true duals on a straight 6,) and then put 6 inch tips(straight tips not turn downs.) What would this sound like, loud, deep or what, where I could get it done in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and about how much it would cost. Now the 2nd question. I know that a Jake brake on a straight piped semi makes that awsome sound. But If I get a jake brake for the cummins will it still sound the same way? Basiclly what i'm trying to say is does anyone make an exhaust brake which used with straight exhaust makes the loud sound like a semi. I know this is long,but at least i explained with some detail!! Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:5" Exhaust with 6" Tips, and E-Brakes

To answer your second question, no. That "awesome sound" you hear coming from semi's is from an engine brake. These trucks have an exhaust brake. All you'll hear is a "whooshing" sound.....at least from what I'm told (I've never heard one).
Old 09-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be great if our trucks made that sound though?

That's my challenge to the aftermarket guys, make an affordable engine brake for the Cummins ISB, that will fit under the hood of the Dodge.
And not cause any premature wear or tear.
If you make it, they will come.

phox
Old 09-16-2003, 02:20 PM

That's wierd, cause my whole life i've always heard that they use exhaust brakes and that's why they sound like that. But anyway, what about the exhaust? How do you think that would sound?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure some have exhaust brakes....but the ones with the sound you like have engine brakes. Jacobs makes both....so when people say Jake Brake they could be talking about either an engine brake or an exhaust brake. The one that you can get as an option on the '03 model trucks (and I assume the '04 models as well) is the Jacobs exhaust brake.

It would probably sound pretty good.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM

Hold on boys.....I have a Jacobs exhaust brake and it definitely does make a sound like a semi - just not near as loud. And it makes more noise when you a running higher rpm's. Faster than Ford, I would suggest that you try and find someone that has an e-brake and go for a ride with them.

PS....Sorry, forgot to mention my truck is a 2001 3/4 T.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Banned

I'm guessing your buying an 03 up Cummins, right? If that's the case, then I don't know what it will sound like. I've heard straight piped 03's before (with either stock piping and no muffler or dualed out 4" piping) and they have a ricer sound at a certain RPM. Other than that, they sound great. If you are getting a Pre 03 cummins, it will sound great no matter what RPM your at.