Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4wd to 2wd impossible??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd to 2wd impossible??

i own a 1999 2500 and i want to convert to 4wd any help whats involved are their any kits??
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You only want to get involved in this if you REALLY, REALLY like THAT truck and you have a love for tinkering that won't quit. It's a huge pain, especially gathering the parts. Most find it easier to buy a 4x4 truck.
Part list:
Front axle (must match gear to rear). If you have 4wheel ABS on yours you need to match that also. Get a 2000, or newer axle, as they have the dual-piston calipers and the slip-on rotors. If you do not have front ABS, you can put a Ford F250 D-60 in there, and then you'll have lock-out hubs in addition to the dual-piston calipers. See this: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=88101

Front driveshaft.
Transfer case.
Transmission to transfer case connector (may come on the transfer case)
Track bar.
Shorter rear driveshaft.
2-4WD shifter and associated linkages.
Transmission crossmember (I believe the 4x4 version has a knotch in the front for the driveshaft and I don't know oif the 2wd crossmember does)
Front springs, because I believe they are different between the 2x4 and 4x4.
Shocks may be different also.
Vacuum lines for the axle disconnect.
Thhe wiring harness *should* already be equipped to handle the indicator light, but you'll have to wade through wiring diagrams to figure out if anything is missing, besides the bulb in the dash.

Chris
Old 06-21-2006, 03:52 PM

oh i thought i would have to change out the front Suspension cross member to make room for the front axle i thougth they were totally different
Old 06-21-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by andrew2910
oh i thought i would have to change out the front Suspension cross member to make room for the front axle i thougth they were totally different
Those dudes are welded in there.....and also.....what about the Fnt control arms? Is this an HD 3500? I think they had a mono beam dummy fnt axle but 2wd. Those would be the best....the ones with wishbone suspension.....man...you are in for one heck of a ride with that....i hope you can weld and good with 4 links. Might look into an after market suspension lift kit.....some don’t even use the stock brackets for the control arms. BUT they are pretty big lifts............

These trucks are not like 80-96 F-150s with the Twin Traction Beam D-44 Axles……..i did one of those….and they were almost 100% bolt up…….
Old 06-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andrew2910
Please don't think I have listed everything. Sorry if I gave that impression. I have not done a conversion, so the list is what I could think of as I sit at my desk. There are probably a few more unknowns I have not accounted for, like steering components, which you may or may not get with the front axle, cutting the hole in the carpet for the shifter, etc..

Chris
Old 06-22-2006, 07:36 AM

The front 1/3 of the frames are COMPLETLY different! You can cut out the front section from one truck, and add in the front section of another, though!

I figured out it wasn't worth it, and bought a 4wd
Chris
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM

What about Just using leaf springs. That would be a lot better IMO!!!!
It can be don't. Just takes Time welding,cutting more welding and TIME!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 12vchevydually
What about Just using leaf springs. That would be a lot better IMO!!!!
It can be don't. Just takes Time welding,cutting more welding and TIME!!!

ANYTHING can be done.....its just do you want to spend the time and effort doing it. People will tell you just to buy a 4x4....but its a challange to get it done and done right....BUT nothing is ever easy like this!!!! If you want to do it.....research and research, then go for it. Get a welder and a plasma cutter, and some metal.....

I had fun with my 86 Ford....and now its sitting on 10" and a 78 Mono beam Bronco Axle.....It started life as a 4x2 stock work truck. Then had a TTB axle....and now the Monobeam. AND yes...its got a 6 cyl....except its a 4.9L Gasser! haha.......but oil burnner is comming!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:19 PM
JWP

It would not be hard at all if you used leaf springs. I have an 89 model that I am considering to make into a 4x4. I was going to just use leaf springs and mount a chevrolet dana 60 I have in front. I already have a divorced mount NP205 that came out of a 75 dodge 3/4 ton. So I don't even have to find a 4wd transmission.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 PM
RJF

It would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to just sell the current truck and buy a 4x4 version.

The conversion would be extremely painstaking. Have you looked into what a front D60 from the wrecking hard costs that came out of these trucks? Thats a chunk of change that could go to a new truck.

Don't forget resale value, which should surely plumet unless the conversion is SO good that you can't tell between it and a factory 4x4 from looking at it and driving it.

To make it that good of a conversion you would likely need a complete parts truck, which would also cost a ton of money....

Thats why it would be cheaper and a million times easier to just trade and re purchase.

If you have a bunch of mods on the current truck.....it would be tons easier to just swap over chips, exhaust, turbo's, and even a transmission to the new 4x4 than trying to do a 4x4 conversion.